Self Defence - who does what?

Options
castadiva
castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
I had a rather scary end to my weekend (I'm OK), which got me thinking about self-defence. Does anyone here practice a particular form? I always meant to learn, but never had a compelling reason to do so. Now, I do. Krav maga and aikido have both been suggested to me as good sources for basic skills, but I wondered if anyone here practices a particular form or has any recommendations? Although I am thinking about this as a woman, both genders can find themselves in this sort of situation, so I'd be interested to hear what the different approaches are among the Peeps.

Replies

• Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you're okay. I bet it was a very scary situation. I've never really been in that situation but have thought about it. I would love to know what the group recommends as well. I talked about my daughter and I taking lessons together. I fully believe you need to be prepared for the crazy *kitten* in life.

Hugs... I truly hope you're mentally okay too....

:flowerforyou:
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I do boxing and used to Muai Thai boxing socially which had an aspect of self-defence to do it.
  • fullofwhimsy
    fullofwhimsy Posts: 218
    Options
    Rather than any martial arts I would look for a women's self defense class..often offered at martial arts places or community centres. They give the basics of defense from a female perspective and are shorter and more focused on that specifically than learning all the elements of a particular style. If you just want to feel empowered and capable and know how to wound someone long enough to run away..go that route.

Sincerely hoping you are okay.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I have a red belt in Tae kwan do and my school often offered several specia l self defense classes a month... I recommend something like a martial art school because you get continious practice. With out practice your won't respond the way it should... Most self defense movements should be as natural as breathing.... I once had a male friend hink it would be funny to sneak up on me at night while I was walking home alone.... Yeah he only did it once......You should practice often enough that your body is responding almost before your mind processes whats happening
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I may get ripped but unless you are planning to do it to the point that it comes a second nature to you, there isn't really much benefit to learning self defense. If it isn't second nature and you have to think about it, you don't get much out of it other than the benefits that come from exercise. All you'll have is a false sense of security and the potential to get hurt worse because you overestimate your abilities and inaccurately assess the danger level. When it is 2nd nature and you are fully proficient with the techniques, it is a valuable tool provided the field is somewhat level (I'd still bet on the person with the gun over the average black belt in any martial art, etc.) I think Danielle's suggestion is the best. Take a self-defense class that is basically designed to teach you how to escape if you are in a situation where you need to that. Even then, you may need to practice those techniques so that they aren't rusty when/if you need them.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    OMG, I'm so sorry to hear that and I really hope you are ok!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I love Muay Thai - it is direct and violent. However, it is a martial art and not a self defense skill. Same with boxing, BJJ, etc. They are helpful in a street fight if you know what you are doing but not what I think you are looking for.

Krav Maga, on the other hand, is perfect. I've been to some classes and it is pretty brutal and without the fanfare of a "sport fighting" type discipline. The first thing they taught was a kick to the nuts.

Check it out, you might have fun.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I may get ripped but unless you are planning to do it to the point that it comes a second nature to you, there isn't really much benefit to learning self defense. If it isn't second nature and you have to think about it, you don't get much out of it other than the benefits that come from exercise.

I'd still bet on the person with the gun over the average black belt in any martial art, etc.
    This.
    My advice is: just learn to run as fast as you can.
  • castadiva
    Options
    I may get ripped but unless you are planning to do it to the point that it comes a second nature to you, there isn't really much benefit to learning self defense. If it isn't second nature and you have to think about it, you don't get much out of it other than the benefits that come from exercise.

I'd still bet on the person with the gun over the average black belt in any martial art, etc.
    This.
    My advice is: just learn to run as fast as you can.

I'm very happy to run, if I can - I'm not keen on conflict, even less on physical violence, and I'd prioritise getting to safety over any sort of revenge or damage every time. That said, I think it would be worth knowing how to get out of a hold if someone grabbed me from behind, or by the throat, for example. DBrightwell and jenbit - I'm sure you're right about needing lots of practice in any martial art for it to be really useful, rather than dangerous due to overconfidence. In the short term, though, as this is a current and ongoing issue, I'd really like a better idea of the basics to start with. jesusHchris' description of Krav Maga does sound like exactly what I'm looking for :wink: I've fortunately never needed to defend myself physically before, so a little confidence that I know how to get free, in whatever way is appropriate, would be helpful for peace of mind, if nothing else.
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    Running is not a self defense. I don't agree with the school of thought saying defending yourself is dangerous and you should simply give in to any threat of violence. It's that sort of passivity that breeds these would-be attackers. They know you will roll over. Most of them would rather select a victim who isn't going to bash their face in. I think you would find that a purse-snatcher or booty-grabber would probably run themselves if attacked.

There are extreme situations, sure. But this could be either direction. You could give in and be raped. Or you could fight back and be killed. I guess it just depends what stance you want to take and each situation would require some sort of assessment.

I definitely don't think that the practice and experience itself will put you in danger. If anything, it will raise your confidence and that is something that people perceive when sussing out who to mess with. Willful ignorance is not a solution.

So there, guys. Woohoo, I got in my forum argument for the month.

Later!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Running is not a self defense. I don't agree with the school of thought saying defending yourself is dangerous and you should simply give in to any threat of violence. It's that sort of passivity that breeds these would-be attackers. They know you will roll over. Most of them would rather select a victim who isn't going to bash their face in. I think you would find that a purse-snatcher or booty-grabber would probably run themselves if attacked.

There are extreme situations, sure. But this could be either direction. You could give in and be raped. Or you could fight back and be killed. I guess it just depends what stance you want to take and each situation would require some sort of assessment.

I definitely don't think that the practice and experience itself will put you in danger. If anything, it will raise your confidence and that is something that people perceive when sussing out who to mess with. Willful ignorance is not a solution.

So there, guys. Woohoo, I got in my forum argument for the month.

Later!

I'll back off my original position a little bit. When I wrote it I was thinking about a conversation I had about 15 years ago with a friend who is a cop. I have a 1st degree brown belt in Judo and asked him what kind of self defense the police learn. He basically said that learning a martial art was impractical because of the amount of time necessary to become proficient and the amount of work it takes to maintain the skills. I thought it was odd at the time but after getting a full time job, a bunch of other responsibilities and just changing priorities I don't think I could confidently do much of it today. It would still have some value but if someone had a knife or gun, I wouldn't be confident that I could use a wrist or arm bar to disarm them and if I failed in such an attempt I'd likely be dead or badly wounded. If I was approached by some drunk or otherwise rowdy idiot just looking for a fight, I'd be able to protect myself at least well enough to make his life miserable.

One thing I didn't consider when I wrote my original response is that there is an added benefit for some women. Women, in general, are more likely to be squeemish about violence and more hesitant in a physical confrontation. Learning a martial art is a way to get comfortable with physical confrontation in a controlled environment.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Nah, if I really wanted to defend myself I'd just get a gun. Martial arts classes seem like a lot of work just to end up getting shot.
  • jenbit
    Options
    Nah, if I really wanted to defend myself I'd just get a gun. Martial arts classes seem like a lot of work just to end up getting shot.

While I know gun laws are mor stick in the UK Casta get a knife a mini baton for you keys.... The only time I dont have some kind of rapidly avalible weapon on me is at work...... But apperantly I also give off a "don't fuk with me" aura lol.......
  • castadiva
    Options

While I know gun laws are mor stick in the UK Casta get a knife a mini baton for you keys.... The only time I dont have some kind of rapidly avalible weapon on me is at work...... But apperantly I also give off a "don't fuk with me" aura lol.......

Gun laws are more strict here, and it's illegal to carry a knife of any significant size as well - a pen-knife is about the limit. I don't particularly want a specific weapon in any case, just to know that I could get out of a hold if someone grabbed me, or at least fight back effectively enough to make it not worth their while and/or hold them off long enough attract attention and help. What's a mini baton?

ETA - I've never had any trouble before now - clearly I don't look like a good target to the random street villain - but the person who poses a threat at present is unbalanced/irrational and has certain dependencies... That's why I'm taking his threats seriously, as I simply don't know if he will try to follow through or not, and he has shown already that physical violence is something he is willing to use.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For self defense I prefer Aikido. Out of all of the arts I am familiar with it is the most practical when used for purely self defense purposes.

-It is not very dependent upon having a high degree of physical fitness/conditioning in order to use effectively. Out of shape or even obese people can become proficient enough in this art to use it effectively for self defense.

-It is one of the most effective arts for teaching you how to defend against an assailant armed with a blunt object or a bladed weapon.

-Because it primarily revolves around using your opponent's own force against them, it is primarily only a defensive art and doesn't necessarily translate well to offensive purposes. It can be done, just not as well as others.
  • jenbit
    Options

Gun laws are more strict here, and it's illegal to carry a knife of any significant size as well - a pen-knife is about the limit. I don't particularly want a specific weapon in any case, just to know that I could get out of a hold if someone grabbed me, or at least fight back effectively enough to make it not worth their while and/or hold them off long enough attract attention and help. What's a mini baton?

ETA - I've never had any trouble before now - clearly I don't look like a good target to the random street villain - but the person who poses a threat at present is unbalanced/irrational and has certain dependencies... That's why I'm taking his threats seriously, as I simply don't know if he will try to follow through or not, and he has shown already that physical violence is something he is willing to use.

You can do alot of damage with a pen knife...go for the soft parts,nose, eyes ect...
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Stay safe whatever you do and be sure to tell your friends and family about this person as well as keep in contact regularly so that they know you are ok. I am so sorry you are going through this! :flowerforyou:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

I think we all agree that running is not self defense, but it is a fact that you have more risk of getting injured by getting into a fight instead of not going into a fight.

I would also imagine that most aggressors are men, because they possess more raw physical strength than women so I'm not sure really how far "training for violence" as a woman can get you. I would imagine most men still think they will have an advantage in a physical confrontation over a woman (and probably rightly so, in most cases).

I agree about the confidence bit, though. Most people can perceive the "this person is not scared" vibe and some will leave you alone just for that.

Stuff like Krav Maga is clearly what is needed in this specific case though. Still, as long as running away is an option, it is clearly a superior option (apparently Krav Maga teaches you that as a basic principle).
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    Still, as long as running away is an option, it is clearly a superior option (apparently Krav Maga teaches you that as a basic principle).

What kind of pansy Krav class is teaching that? Sometimes, when I see someone on the street who reminds me of a mugger from a TV show, I walk up and start throwing blows. I should be teaching self defense classes.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it at my college, we had a self-defense class where the students learned how to get out of certain grips an attacker could have on them, etc. I think many communities may offer classes...here in the Twin Cities, most communities offer a wide range of activities for their citizens...exercise, arts, senior programs, computer classes, early childhood classes.