H-E-L-P Feeling Sick - Desperate for New Foods

Options
I am 4 months post op and have lost 60 pounds. I've never lost this much weight before. I tend to eat the same foods over and over again. When I hit a plateau, I introduced some new proteins into my diet, expanding my list a bit. I am sticking to 30 carbs a day and at least 70 grams of protein, usually hitting closer to 100 grams (I know about the kidney watch). Well, last night and this morning, nothing appeals to me. Nothing. I need to find different sources of protein. I just scanned back 3 months and didn't find any new proteins other than what is listed below: PLEASE HELP!

My basic protein foods are:
protein drinks
eggs
cheese
greek yogurt (9 carbs max)
cottage cheese
turkey slices
chicken
SF Jell-O (for head hunger)
shellfish
fish
tuna
salmon
scallops
salmon burgers
gefillte fish

Any ideas? (keep it basic - not a big cook) HELP!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I like to eat beef or turkey jerky, I have found different types of chicken or turkey sausages that are good (Costco, Trader Joe's), I found different flavors of pre-cooked, pre-packaged chicken burgers at Whole Foods near the meat section, Trader Joe's also has frozen Chicken Chile Lime burgers that are yummy, I eat lean beef, turkey bacon, Quest bars, beans, veggie burgers, and I recently bought some HealthSmart protein soups. I read lots of labels in the store too, you never know what you might discover that will actually be a good option.
  • thinnerrugger
    thinnerrugger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    72643146.png
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I like bacon! And ham. And ground beef with salsa and taco seasoning and cheese on it. YUMMY!
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    we found some recipes on the 21 day fix, the best so far is egg "muffins" made with cooked chicken breakfast sausage, onions, zucchini and cheese. oh sorry these are made with egg whites and baked at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. You can make 12 or more at a time and eat them through out the day or just for a quick breakfast. Congratulations on the loss
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There's some faux meat sausages at Trader Joes- I forget the protien they're made from- but they're spiced well and have a LOT of protien per serving- it may be a nice new flavor to add. They look like the Italian Sausages you would eat on a roll w/ peppers and onions.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You need some Beef and Pork in there. So many ways to quickly prepare and great protein to serving size ratios.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I love shrimp cocktail - make your own cocktail sauce with sugar free ketchup, or use aioli or a sour cream based horseradish sauce. Yummo.

I would think about ways to up the flavor of what you are already eating for protein. How do you prepare the items? Can you sauce it up, add a half pat of butter, experiment with new seasoning blends, or try a new technique like brining?

Try adding tofu, milk powder, chunks of lean protein, or unflavored protein powder to hearty soups.

I recently made thin split pea soup (which is carby if you have more than one serving or make it especially thick), and added a lot of ham to it, diced (really small pieces). It was good. I used Manischevitz (sp?) brand split pea soup mix - $1 at the grocery store for 4 huge servings (I eat about a half serving) and it was a no brainer, i.e., just add water. I followed the package instructions, then I added in a pre-packaged ham steak the last 10 minutes of cooking - so I know exactly what the nutrition calculations are per serving. It was very good.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I make my own soups, chicken and beef varieties and chili usuing ground beef or ground turkey. I make my own because I can load up the protein by adding more meat or beans, and keeping the sodium and fat lower than any pre packaged or canned once.