Running in the dark

Options
angf0679
angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
I started my running in the late spring. When it was warm. My first running clothes were nothing but shorts and short sleeved shirts. I finally got the funds together so I could get to pair of pants and a couple of *kitten*. I haven't been running since my race in September and miss it. However, now that I have the warmer clothes, I have a new issue. Thanks to the time change, it is now dark when I get home from work! If I get up early to go before work, I will have the same issue, it's still dark. As a female, I am paranoid about going out running at night. I don't even like walking to the bus stop when it's dark and tend to walk their fast and get inside the bus shelter (provided there is one.) I need advice and motivation to get back out there and run, despite the dark. I guess my main concern is people not seeing me. My pants are black or grey, but my shirts and jacket are brighter colors. (and so are my sneakers) I need tips for running in the dark.

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If your main concern is not beeing seen, there are a few things you can do. In most sports clothing shops you'll find "night running" product lines which reflect light.
    A cheaper alternative are these safety vests that e.g. road workers wear.
    Add to that some bracelets with blinking LEDs, and people should be able to see you quite well.

If you are more worried about safety, I guess it depends on what kind of area you live in. Maybe you can find a street where there's still trafic after dark, so you won't be alone. Take your phone with you, and maybe pepperspay or one of these high-noise-alarm-thingys, if it will make you feel safer.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I go out with an orange vest over my florescent yellow sweater that I put on over my jacket (It looks stupid but definitely more noticeable) and I carry a flashlight. I don't know if it's because I am paranoid, but I also carry an extra little flashlight in case something happens to the first one. I carry my phone too and I do not wear any headphones or listen to music so I am much more aware of whatever is going on around me.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning in the dark and wear a LED arm band that flashes red. When it's dark brighter colors don't make that big of a difference you need some reflective that will shine in headlights.

As far as safety, I don't worry about that since it's very safe where I live. However, I agree with nikkiwolf, get yourself some pepper spray to carry. Many have clips that make them easy to attach to your running gear.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I wear a head lamp (you can get it in any sporting store like Academy or Sports Authority) as well as LED blinking things. Usually they are red but also come in white or multi colored and can be programmed to stay lit or blink in different patterns and can clip onto anything like the back of your shirt at the collar or the back of a cap. I also found a fanny pack that has an LED blinking light that I picked up at Target. if you are concerned about running alone in the dark, is it possible to find a local running group that has group runs?
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have ankle bracelets that velcro on that are LED blinking lights. I tried to wear them on my arms but they bothered me. I bought mine at a race expo.
  • douglas49461
    douglas49461 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    headlamp and run against traffic so you can see the car coming at you. If you think something bad is going to happen pull your phone out and pretend to call someone, that should scare most weirdos away. Also depends on where you will be running, bad area or crazy wildlife area probably not a good idea without a partner.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    One option is to run indoors like I did today. I did four miles at the local recreation center, five laps to a mile.

Another option that I have used is to run at the local school track. It will still be dark but there are no cars and you will probably have other walkers and runners getting some exercise.

Another possibility is to find a running partner which makes any run a bit safer.
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wear a neon yellow jacket from nike and it does the job well. I am concerned about my safety so i tend to avoid running at night though.
  • lorijay57
    lorijay57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could consider getting a dog or asking a neighbor with a medium/large dog if you could take it along on runs. I live in a very walkable area but some sketchy characters are around. I run mostly at night or towards dusk, due to work. I put on a headlamp, take my 80# mutt with me, and no one ever bothers me.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I do most of my running in the dark due to my work schedule and the sun not correlating to my liking and it's kind of nice actually.. I carry a small light that I originally purchased for biking but it wasn't bright enough to use on my bike (I need to see quite a bit ahead of me for biking, not so much for running). This light serves 2 purposes - Cars/other pedestrians can see me coming (always running against traffic and the movement of my arms keeps the light going all crazy so it's noticeable) AND I can shine that sucker down by my feet if I don't have enough light to see uneven pavement or whatever might be there.. It also comes in handy when someone is out walking with or without their dog and are not carrying a light because I can see them before I'm on top of them and move over so their dog doesn't freak out :) I also have a red blinky strap I put on my right arm. I refuse to run at night without my phone. Bright colors help during the day and are better than black at night but.. meh - reflective stripes are better as everyone else has said previously. Those blinky lights and LED flashers are pretty cheap, pick one up!

Safety is a whole other ball game and if that's your concern.. Running at night can be sooo nice but it can get a little sketchy. Just keep on the busier streets and stay alert or if you feel safer on a quiet street that you're familiar with that's okay too (I have a couple of these and they are lined with houses so if anything happened I would most certainly head to the nearest one and pound away at the door). If someone looks a little.. scary you can head to the other side of the street or whip out your phone and scream "I know karate!" haha. Good luck!
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I guess the main thing would be to never run the same route at the same hour, for personal safety? Although there will always be some weirdos lurking in dark alleys.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I run the same route around the same time every other day or so.. In doing so I know who is a "regular" out for their daily walk with the dog or alone and who looks like they don't belong. I guess it depends where you live though. I am running in a residential area that is fairly quiet but not dead by any means.