Importance of the A1C, average blood sugar level

Options
rocky503
rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
A1C Level and Future Risk of Diabetes: A Systematic Review:
This systematic review of prospective studies confirms a strong, continuous association between A1C and subsequent diabetes risk. Persons with an A1C value of >6.0% have a very high risk of developing clinically defined diabetes in the near future with 5-year risks ranging from 25 to 50% and relative risks frequently 20 times higher compared with A1C<5%. However, persons with an A1C between 5.5 and 6.0% also have a substantially increased risk of diabetes with 5-year incidences ranging from 9 to 25%. The level of A1C appears to have a continuous association with diabetes risk even below the 5.5% A1C threshold, but the absolute levels of incidence in that group are considerably lower.

http://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/4399/

Why the A1c Test Is Important

The A1c is a blood test, done in a lab, that shows what your average blood sugar has been for the past 3 months. Other names for this test are glycosylated hemoglobin, glycohemoglobin, hemoglobin A1c, and HbA1c.

How the A1c Test Works

The glucose that the body doesn't store or use for energy stays in the blood and attaches to red blood cells, which live in the bloodstream for about 4 months. The lab test measures the amount of glucose attached to the red blood cells.

The amount is the A1c and is shown as a percentage. Your A1c number can give you a good idea of how well you've controlled your blood sugar over the previous 2 to 3 months. When you get your A1c results you may see another number called the estimated Average Glucose, or eAG.

Understanding the eAG

Your estimated Average Glucose (eAG) number is calculated from the result of your A1c test. Like the A1c, the eAG shows what your average blood sugars have been over the previous 2 to 3 months. Instead of a percentage, the eAG is in the same units (mg/dl) would be measured on a blood glucose meter.

The chart shows the relationship between the A1c percentage and the eAG.
If A1c % is: Your eAG is:
6 / 126
6.5 /140
7 /154
7.5 /169
8 /183
8.5 /197
9 /212
9.5 /226
10 /240
10.5 /255
11 /269
11.5 /283
12 /298

What the Numbers Mean

The A1c and eAG reflect your average blood sugar over a period of time.

The higher your A1c and eAG numbers are, the higher your chances for having long-term health problems caused by consistently high blood sugar levels. These problems include heart attacks, strokes, kidney failure, vision problems, and numbness in your legs or feet. The lower your A1c and eAG numbers, the lower your chances are for these kinds of problems.
Your A1c and eAG Targets

For people who don't have diabetes, the normal range for an A1c is between 4 percent and 6 percent. This number is the percent of glucose attached to their red blood cells. This means their average blood sugar is between 70 and 126 mg/dl.

In people with diabetes, the percent goes up in relationship to their average blood sugar levels. A lower score means better blood sugar control. A higher score means your blood sugar levels have been too high. High blood sugar can hurt your kidneys, feet, and eyes.

Talk with your doctor about what A1c and daily blood sugar levels you should aim for. This means choosing targets that are safe and realistic for your age, health, and lifestyle and that will lower your chances of developing problems from diabetes.

If your A1c levels are higher than they should be there are many interventions that can improve them, obviously, mostly concerning diet, weight control and exercise.

Your A1c and eAG show your average blood sugar levels over a period of 2 to 3 months, but they don't tell you what your blood sugar levels are from day to day, or hour to hour.

How Often to Get an A1c Test

Getting the A1c test regularly gives people feedback about what their risk is for developing diabetes and if any interventions they are implementing are working.

***Warning, Warning*** This is general information about the A1c test for non diabetics (really prediabetics) and is not the last word in blood sugar testing for dx diabetics or those with any other diagnosed blood sugar related conditions (hypoglycemics, pancreatic cancer, etc.)

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    To summarize, the A1C is a blood sugar test issued by your doctor. Your goal is to keep the results of this test under a five. Anything more than five and you increase your risk of diabetes (9-25% higher chance). Anything over six and you REALLY increase your risk of diabetes (25-50% higher chance). The longer you're at these levels the greater your chance of becoming diabetic, as it's caused by a build up of sugar in your blood over time. If you're in either of these ranges SEEK HELP because you're pre-diabetic.

Excellent straight forward article Rocky!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    That really was a great article. I learned a large part of that when dealing with my mom and her diabites. Its a number I do watch with my blood work because it is so important to have a low number.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    This post actually made me go get my lab numbers from the last two physicals - two years apart. In 2010 they were ok but all the numbers improved except the A1C - I have no idea on that since they didn't give the info on it for the last one. It was 5.4 in 2010 but I don't know it for 2012. But my blood glucose was well below 100 in 2012 where it was just above it in 2010.