Shakes and such

jamezln
jamezln Posts: 182 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
I look at my friends list and see what they are drinking shake wise from Atkins to regular protein shakes, but from a broader crowd, what are some of your meal replacement shakes, pre-made protein shakes? I currently do the Isopure both pre-made and powder.

Thanks,
James

Replies

• Hey! I like Premier Protein (11oz for 30grams protein) I only like their chocolate though. So to switch it up I get the Vanilla GNC Lean 25 shakes (14oz for 25 grams protein) The vanilla I like to dress up and put some pumpkin spice in it and a little bit of pumpkin puree. I am a pumpkin nutt oHolic. LOL
  • commissionette
    commissionette Posts: 25 Member
    I am using the RAW fit high protein mixed with a banana and chocolate silk milk. Num Num Num :)
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I have been happy with the GNC line of Whey powders and I bought 2lbs of the Syntrax Roadside Lemonade. I may give the Walmart Body Fortress a try because they are cheap. Everything I use is powder. My wife bought me some Ensure Original (220 cal for 9g protein) but they were too many cals for not wnough protein, so the kids are now starting their days with them and really liking the early protein start!

Rob
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I am a big fan of Cellucor Peanut Butter Marshmallow and Cinnamon Swirl. I mix them with almond milk. Flavors are yummy and I like the consistency.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    I haven't bought any pre-made...I use the pure protein, my husband says I tend to favor the chocolate 1...lol!
    The vanilla is mild so Ive been adding a little banana for a little extra flavor and for that little extra bit of protein.
    I also add PB2 to both of these and my current almond milk has 70 cals for 1 cup with 6 protein.
    Initially I bought Carnation but then later realized it wasn't SF so my "helper" husband has been drinking it.
    I did buy some SF carnation packets for the road but it only has like 13 grams and w/ the 8oz of almond milk that would only put it at 18 whereas when I make the shake using pure protein I can make it at 36 protein!
  • jamezln
    Thanks for the info guy/gals. I'm going to try some these mentioned just to spread the flavor around. I have the Raw Protein, and have done the Body Fortress Protein Shots in the past, but the rest of them along with some on my friends list i'm going to give a try.

Thanks again,
    James
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    I always prefer to get my protein from real food, but when I need a boost, the Syntrax is FABULOUS. I like the cappuccino or strawberry (the others are too sweet for me) but I mix them with vanilla flavored soy milk and it's actually really good!!
  • jamezln
    My problem with real food is the 30-30-30. If you don't or didn't have to do that it means, nothing to drink 30 minutes before a meal, take 30 minutes to eat the meal, and nothing to drink for 30 minutes after a meal. Don't get me wrong, I have got to get my calories up. I drink a ton, but my calories are hindering my weight loss.
  • wildely
    wildely Posts: 7 Member
    I found I can only tolerate the mix-in powders with water. I tried using soy milk, but it didn't sit right. I'm using Isopure powders and RTD bottles currently. I've used (and liked quite a bit) Muscle Milk powders, but switched away after surgery because it doesn't have as much protein as I wanted. I have a big supply of Body Fortress powders, but found I liked it a great deal less after surgery. I'm having the best results with an almost pudding-like consistency to my morning shake.

Premade, I have opted to just keep the RTD Isopure bottles on hand. Expensive, but they don't give me that heavy feeling, like something milk-laden. I'm mildly lactose intolerant (or something, it's not diagnosed, just makes me feel like junk if I consume too much dairy). Even the lactose-free RTD drinks like Muscle Milk and Ensure make me feel icky, but I'll do them in a pinch.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Yeah, the no drinking before or after a meal got me too! Those first few months are tough! Find a protein drink you can tolerate (I struggled with the "sweetness" of everything, that's why the cappuccino was good, not as sweet as the chocolate, etc.) Eventually when you are on a more normal diet you will be able to do more protein from food and just use shakes as a supplement.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    My go-to protein shake is Optum Nutrition Gold Standard Chocolate malt protein powder. I mix 2 scoops with 1-1/2 cups skim milk. It's got 60g of protein all together. For now I'm spreading that across three meals and getting more than my minimum of protein in. If I needed to boost the calories I'd add more milk.
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    I've used the Body Fortress from WalMart which is inexpensive and works out well. As mentioned above, the PB2 (also found at WalMart) is a good way to add protein and flavor, plus it's just dehydrated peanuts - no fillers or additives.
  • jamezln
    Thanks all. Trust me, i'll be making a list and shopping. It's always good to have variety.