Swimmers ?

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
We've all watched the CrossFit games and seen that swimming is part of the events . . . So it got me wondering: How many of my fellow "Crossfit Lovers" incorporate swimming into their training programs?

*For those who are swimming, what types of work-outs are you doing?

Note: I have been swimming as part of my triathlon training and because of my CrossFit training and conditioning, I have seen major gains in my overal endurance, stroke, speed/time and distances covered. *The same applies to the bike and run portions.

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Nope - no swimming for me. I figure I'll never reach the Regionals so I'll concentrate on what is needed for our everyday WOD's.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    We have just hit summer here in Oz and I am planning on getting back to some swimming. It wont be part of my training, rather a nice weekend swim to help with muscle soreness etc. It will be laps and for fitness but not actually part of training.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    not as part of crossfit, but as part of training for a swim meet. I like the combination.

Stroke work / efficiency is more important for the xfit competitions - the swims are short or require teamwork with some sort of float - working from that angle would probably be a better use of time.

one thing to train is getting in/out of the water. watch Troyan (apologies: can't remember his name exactly) get in and out of the water - it takes energy to get out. Nail this, and you'll have an advantage. Then, the start. that's the fastest part. get the good start and streamline down. remember to pull before taking a breath. that'll get you across the 25m with fewer strokes. etc etc etc.

dive in / long streamline
    sprint sans breathing 25 m
    get out / breath again
    be careful on the deck - slippery! - some sort of movement
    repeat

if open water, practice steady state and then sprints for x seconds. practice passing and weaving in and out to simulate passing people.

and if open water, and this sucks, practice swimming and keeping your head when you choke on water or get rammed. be very careful on these drills, but this will also help in the mass of churning swimmers in the open water

but love it!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I wish I had access to a pool. I used to be an excellent swimmer and I'm decent now, but I think lack of technique and being overweight prevents me from really being able to stroke and breathe at the same time.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I've incorporated swimming when I have a tri on the schedule. I love swimming but, due to time constraints, it's usually an "either/or" situation with crossfit workouts and such. When swimming, I'd usually do a straight mile, freestyle.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    I wish I had access to a pool. I used to be an excellent swimmer and I'm decent now, but I think lack of technique and being overweight prevents me from really being able to stroke and breathe at the same time.

Check out your local YMCA or other gyms - many offer a "winter swimmer" rate or a pay as you swim non-member rate. I can bring guests to my YMCA and they just pay a small fee to swim and/or can also use the entire gym.

I too, am overweight and wasn't much of a swimmer until I got back into the pool. It's a great option for "low-impact" cardio and can also be used to rehab sore muscles after a few WODs.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Might check that out. I have a buddy who I think still does some coaching, might just see if I can tag along with him.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I do go every so often but it's really just for recreation and a bit of active rest. I don't take it seriously