Protein Drinks - PSA

DJRonnieLINY
DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Posting because this is a frequent topic for newbies. There are many choices but this one worked for me and many of the people I have seen posting. Ispoure Ready To Drink liquids cost about $4 per bottle, come in many flavors and deliver 40g of protein in a 20 oz bottle. During the first few months I drank 2 per day to bump up protein. Calories vary by product type but the ZERO CARB variation is under 200 per bottle.

Here is some product information for you: Source www.cwimedical.com/isopure-clear-liquid/

"Isopure Zero Carb is 100% pure ion exchange whey protein isolate. So pure you can see through it. There are no impurities, no byproducts. This is protein that has reached its purest state. This drink is also recommended for those recovering from bariatric surgery. Isopure® Zero Carb has no sugar, no carbs, no preservatives, no fat and is lactose free. Contains 40 grams of the purest protein known to science in a 20 oz. bottle.

Available Flavors: Coconut, Pineapple Orange Banana, Mango Peach, Icy Orange, Grape Frost, Apple Melon, Blue Raspberry, and Alpine Punch."

Replies

• kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Grape Frost is my favorite!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    I am having surgery next week and getting the protein in is my biggest concern. So, if you have 2 of these bottles per day, that would count as 40 oz of liquid and count as 80g of protein? Then I would only have to get in another 10-20 oz of liquid besides this, but I would pretty much have all the protein in that I needed per day? I picked up a few bottles of the ready-made ISOpure drinks and a jug of the vanilla powder.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Posting because this is a frequent topic for newbies. There are many choices but this one worked for me and many of the people I have seen posting. Ispoure Ready To Drink liquids cost about $4 per bottle, come in many flavors and deliver 40g of protein in a 20 oz bottle. During the first few months I drank 2 per day to bump up protein. Calories vary by product type but the ZERO CARB variation is under 200 per bottle.

Here is some product information for you: Source www.cwimedical.com/isopure-clear-liquid/

"Isopure Zero Carb is 100% pure ion exchange whey protein isolate. So pure you can see through it. There are no impurities, no byproducts. This is protein that has reached its purest state. This drink is also recommended for those recovering from bariatric surgery. Isopure® Zero Carb has no sugar, no carbs, no preservatives, no fat and is lactose free. Contains 40 grams of the purest protein known to science in a 20 oz. bottle.

Available Flavors: Coconut, Pineapple Orange Banana, Mango Peach, Icy Orange, Grape Frost, Apple Melon, Blue Raspberry, and Alpine Punch."

I also love this product, and would just suggest that if you also like it, consider buying a GNC gold card, and you get 10% off all purchases. I save a ridiculous amount every time I buy a case. The card paid for itself in one purchase of a case of 12 bottles. GNC is also the only place you can buy Quest protein bars and snacks in my area (other than online), so you get a discount on those, too. They run sales pretty regularly. Quest bars are frequently buy 2 get 1 free.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2014
    This and the Isopure powder is all I drink. I like bottles for the obvious reasons, but the powder is great because you can mix it with water and of course soy or almond milk and it's fantastic. I love the Quest bars also. I refuse to however to pay for a GNC membership for savings that I can automatically get at the Vitamin Shoppe just for shopping there. That verifiable just by going to each website. Then again, if you don't have a Vitamin Shoppe nearby, you may want to spend the extra money at GNC or order online.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    @katematt = I also got the GNC card and you are correct. Great savings. Decided to juggle my diet abit and reintroduce the ISOPURE Zero Carbs to my daily. Heaing into teh Holiday Season I felt it would be smart to get back to basics.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    I tried this this weekend and it makes my mouth dry. Any suggestions for this. I tried the Grape. It tasted fine but the dryness was very unpleasant. Are the other flavors better?
  • jamezln
    janet0513 wrote: »
    I tried this this weekend and it makes my mouth dry. Any suggestions for this. I tried the Grape. It tasted fine but the dryness was very unpleasant. Are the other flavors better?

If you're speaking of the Isopure, no. Even the guy at the Vitamin Shoppe asked if that happened to me. It's just a side effect of it. That and then some sort of gummy film. The powder mixed with water doesn't do that, but the 20oz bottles do for some reason. I have tried many flavors and they all have the same aftertaste. If someone has this figured out, i'd love to hear it also, aside from just basically chasing it with a little water.

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    I tried the Blue Raspberry drink and had to throw it out. I thought it was terrible. I have a couple other flavors to try but I'm a little gun-shy now. :(
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    I know what you saying Lori...Im the same way.
    If I taste something that doesn't agree with me, I am very hesitant and sometimes almost resistant to try something in that same line of product, no matter if its a different flavor.
    I think it just goes far back to me having such a sensitive gag reflux :disappointed:
  • DJRonnieLINY
    Different flavors react differently for different people. I find that the Green Apple to be the best but I do get a bit of the chaukey feeling with the Orange and a bad chaukely feeling with the Fruit Punch. Trial and error.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    I suppose these aren't the same as the Isopure water I can get at local gas stations? Pretty darn sure they said zero protein. I have my one week post up appointment tomorrow and know that the office sells isopure - it's likely the protein kind.

My bari office told me that if I drink water mixed with protein powder, because it is metabolized differently, it doesn't count as water, only protein. BUt, I think they said these drinks are the exception. Anyone else been told that?
  • jamezln
    edited November 2014
    boomerkae wrote: »
    I suppose these aren't the same as the Isopure water I can get at local gas stations? Pretty darn sure they said zero protein. I have my one week post up appointment tomorrow and know that the office sells isopure - it's likely the protein kind.

My bari office told me that if I drink water mixed with protein powder, because it is metabolized differently, it doesn't count as water, only protein. BUt, I think they said these drinks are the exception. Anyone else been told that?

My paperwork states exactly the opposite. If I drink a water based protein, it is counted as fluids. For the first week that's actually how my paperwork told me to get fluids and protein in. The water based protein never changes. It still counts as fluid.

My paperwork for the first week after surgery asked that I focus on consuming at least 48oz of fluid and 70grams of protein with water based proteins being counted as part of your liquids. All clear liquids to include:

Water
    Chicken or Beef broth
    Sugar free jello
    Decaff/unsweetened tea
    Decaff Coffee
    Sugar free popsicles
    Crystal Light
    Sugar free Koolaid

Drink 2oz every 15 minutes. I could mix in packets of Healthwise whey protein into water but I just drank Isopure.

Prevention of dehydration is the primary goal after surgery.

• wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    I was told the same ==protein drinks count as fluid
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Isnt liquid still a liquid?!?
    Like jello :confused:
  • jamezln
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    Isnt liquid still a liquid?!?
    Like jello :confused:

According to my paperwork it is....jello that is.
  • boomerkae
    I may be confusing it with pre-op - that I couldn't mix protein into water during the clear liquid stage. I asked the NP at my one week followup and he seemed a little shocked at the question of mixing protein. I think I'll check again to be sure. I'd love to be sipping protein filled water that doesn't taste nasty. I've tried two isopure and am not so sure about the flavor. Taste like plastic to me.
  • funfatfriend
    funfatfriend Posts: 57 Member
    I just bought lemon tea syntrax nectar, love this! I start my 10 day pre-op diet tomorrow, made protein pudding and jello last night..So PUMPED!!!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    If you feel like you get dry mouth with Isopure clear, you can dilute it a bit with water, or drink it really cold on ice, as that helps.
  • boomerkae
    If you feel like you get dry mouth with Isopure clear, you can dilute it a bit with water, or drink it really cold on ice, as that helps.

I'll have to try that tomorrow. Thanks!