Fuelling help for 1st Ultra

Options
Samstan101
Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
I have signed up for a 12hr overnight Ultra in the summer. I know its a fair way off yet but want to train in the same way as I want to race. I've done a bit of reading around regarding fuelling especially for the ultra but am looking for other people's experiences. I can't imagine the thought of 12hrs of gels so wondered what people found worked for them. Any other tips in terms of changing footwear, tops etc also gratefully received!

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For a 12 hour I typically don't bother changing any of my gear. I also stick to gels supplemented with whatever looks appealing at an aid station table. Gels are just a consistent, known quantity for me and I don't have to think about it.

I don't tend to eat much from the aid stations actually. If they have them, steamed potatoes are a go-to food for me when I'm up for it. They are easy on the stomach. Also soda like Coke later in an event. Can't tolerate it early but later it's like jet fuel, a quick delivery of sugar and caffeine into the system.

You have to experiment. Also things that work will stop working and things that don't will. At the end of the day you just have to be adaptable and problem solve on your feet.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    In my 100km I did (prob equivalent to 140-150ish distance since it was extremely technical underfoot with many climbs all the way), I found that I was so totally sick of sweet gels by the 70km mark that I just couldn't take them. I couldn't eat real food either except for packets of chips and coffee (locally brewed guaranteed to keep you awake for the night kind of coffee) which I had in my drop bags.

Worked well to the end but then again, I was in it to finish and do my best, not to race or get on the podium!! So not too sure what would work for elite ultra runners but I agree that you need to experiment and adapt.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks both :) I'm certainly not looking for any medals just to make sure I finish having done at least 30miles!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    jturnerx wrote: »
    For a 12 hour I typically don't bother changing any of my gear. I also stick to gels supplemented with whatever looks appealing at an aid station table. Gels are just a consistent, known quantity for me and I don't have to think about it.

I don't tend to eat much from the aid stations actually. If they have them, steamed potatoes are a go-to food for me when I'm up for it. They are easy on the stomach. Also soda like Coke later in an event. Can't tolerate it early but later it's like jet fuel, a quick delivery of sugar and caffeine into the system.

You have to experiment. Also things that work will stop working and things that don't will. At the end of the day you just have to be adaptable and problem solve on your feet.

This has been my approach exactly, but I've only done 50K's. I have a 50M race scheduled for Saturday and will try the same approach. We'll see how it works!
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    Thanks both :) I'm certainly not looking for any medals just to make sure I finish having done at least 30miles!

Not to be gender biased or anything but it's a known fact that women DNF less than men in ultras because we're mentally tougher and can adapt better to problems AND we care less about pride when things go off plan!! :) I'm sure you can do it!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jturnerx wrote: »
    For a 12 hour I typically don't bother changing any of my gear.

For me this applies to 50 milers as well. It was implied in my mind but I didn't convey it that way. I don't do much different between 50k to 50 mile events. Once it goes beyond 50 miles there are other things I take into consideration.