Carbs vs Protein....

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
Most of you know that my world has slowly started to open up w/ being able to have more choices in solids.
The problem has been not just trying to get in my required amount (70 minimum) which can be a hit or miss but more times than not my carbs have exceeded past my protein.
So it seems that I have compounded the issue, and Ive been trying to reverse these #'s.
Ive had some really helpful people not only go through and in detail explain where Im doing really good and where I can beef things up to get a higher protein #.
I know that right now Im still somewhat limited but my breakfast seems to lack a high protein punch, not counting today having had 1/2 a shake.
Thanks to these people Ive been able to see what great choices they make and that they can and are able to keep their carbs down while still hitting the minimum (70+)!
These people have been selfless with their time and knowledge and theres nothing fake about them...they eat like normal people....yes, even an occasional bit of ice cream, m&m's etc!
I know I am nowhere close to their eating but clearly they are able to still eat "real" foods AND keep themselves in check!
So that being said...for the 1st time I finally reversed my #'s today...I cant believe it :relieved:
Breakfast: Id like to find something that will be more satisfying than a liquid but I was needing something quick.
1/2 Scoop Vanilla Pure Protein : 70 cals 2 Carbs 13 Protein
1 Tbsp PB2 (I always add this whether Im having chocolate or vanilla for a little bit of added protein) : 23 Cals 3 Carbs 3 Protein
1/2 cup Soy Milk : 35 Cals 4 Carbs 3 Protein
Total : 128 Cals 9 Carbs 19 Protein

Lunch:
Plain McDonalds Patty (took a patty from my husbands burger and ate it like that)
90 Cals 0 Carbs 8 Protein
Total : 90 Cals 0 Carbs 8 Protein

Dinner:
1/2 cup Spaghetti Sauce with ground Turkey: 71 Cals 4 Carbs 6 Protein
1/4 low-fat Ricotta: 60 Cals 3 Carbs 7 Protein
Total: 131 Cals 7 Carbs 13 Protein

Snack:
Butterball turkey burger: 240 Cals 2 Carbs 31 Protein
Total: 240 Cals 2 Carbs 31 Protein

Total For the whole day:
589 Cals 18 Carbs 71 Protein

Now, I need to figure out whats an appropriate Cal goal for me without exceeding it!
If anyone knows how this is done, Please let me know :smile:
Please share your input, ideas and suggestions and if you have some great awesome recipes, I know a lot of us recent post-ops would really appreciate it....Thanks!!

Replies

• jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Glad you got your breakfast protein up and figured it out. Now the appropriate caloric need is something I myself am trying to figure out. As far as how it's done i've noticed people go through a trial and error period with this and the spread is hundreds of calories and it takes some time to figure out since the menu opens up a little more each week. I would like to stay over 1000 a day(at this point), but getting there isn't that easy. Eventually, with running, I will have to increase them. It's all a learning curve that I will have to go through with my own body. I can easily surpass my protein goals and barely hit 800 cals. It's aggravating when your not hungry and you have to make yourself eat so you don't skip meals. I watch and look at everyone's diary to see what they eat. That to me is what it's there for. I look at everyone's diet. I have learned a little from everyone, but most importantly (to me), I see what they eat to get their calories in. My biggest aggravation is wondering if people try to eat back the calories they burn off from exercise?
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    At this point, don't worry about calories, ONLY focus on your protein! If you keep your diet similar to the day you posted, calories will be just fine!! :D Well done on your diet!!
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    jamezln wrote: »
    My biggest aggravation is wondering if people try to eat back the calories they burn off from exercise?

I do not, but it gives me a little cushion in case I do want to have a little something extra at the end of the day!! :D
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    [/quote]I do not, but it gives me a little cushion in case I do want to have a little something extra at the end of the day!! :D [/quote]

You just nailed it. Thanks. :smiley:

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I wasn't given calorie goals up front. Just get your 73g of protein and don't worry about the rest but got scolded at my 1 month follow up for not eating enough, (@ 600 calories). I'd been stalled for a few weeks at that point too. It's hard at that stage as you're still healing, nothing tastes right, etc. So I was told to add snacks even if I wasn't particularly "hungry" and shoot for 1000 calories. Kinda flew in the face of every piece of diet advice I ever had, (eat when I'm not hungry?) but I was adjusting to a new normal so I complied. About a month later I felt well enough to really begin exercising. That is when I began to find it easier to hit my targets. When I move my body I must fuel it! So I continued the remainder of my loss phase on 1000-1200 cal, 80ish g of protein and exercise. I did not eat back the calories then. I lost steadily, not speedily with few stalls, no hair loss and no fatigue. Today, in maintenance, I can maintain on around 1700 calories (exercise 5 days per week is a habit now, and I do eat back some of the calories) which seems like A LOT! I tracked religiously for the first 6 months even in maintenance till I was comfortable wit what it should look like. Trying it on my own for a bit now. If I gain 5, I'll go back to tracking. It's working so far. For me the advice to eat a bit more was invaluable. It helped me reset in a very managable place!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and egg frittatas (mix eggs, cheese, meat, veggies whatever you like and cook in muffin tin for individual servings) are good protein options for breakfast.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    At this point, don't worry about calories, ONLY focus on your protein! If you keep your diet similar to the day you posted, calories will be just fine!! :D Well done on your diet!!
    Thanks Amy :awesome:

• JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    2Be I'm three weeks post op tomorrow. I was given a protein goal of 60 grams a day for post op goals. At my two week followup visit I asked my doctor what my daily protein intake should be and what calorie goal should I be trying to hit. He said my priority should be the protein at 60-70 grams a day and that eventually as I could eat more food at a time 800 calories a day. I've been able to meet my 60 + protein goal daily although some days I have to drink a protein shake to hit my numbers. I am nowhere near my calorie goal as eating 1.5 ounces of grilled chicken is like 45 calories. I can only eat 1.5 ounces at a time so I am grazing all day to get in my food and Doc was okay with that for now. He really said don't obsess over it at some point I will be able to eat more than 1.5 ounces and get to 800 calories.
  • 2BeHappy2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yeah, the whole protein intake has been hard to swallow!
    Although Im 5 wks out now, I also still end up supplementing w/ a shake by the end of the evening just to get close(r) to the 70 which is what my surgeon has said is the minimum :neutral_face:
    Its like a non ending cycle of every day having the same worry about getting in all the requirements.
    Id really like to wean off the shakes #1 because theyre not convenient for being out for long periods of time #2 Id like to fill up more on solid proteins than liquid proteins.
    Jemp, Im curious how tall you are and how much youre wanting/needing to lose?
    Im 4'2 which is why Im flustered on what my #'s should be :confused:
    I still have about 74 lbs to go and that will put me at what the Dr has determined to be a "healthy" goal w/ maybe an additional 10 if I choose to...or better yet if my body doesn't fight me!
    People say those last 10 are always the hardest :blush:
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 7 1/2" and goal is 135 lbs. I'm down 17 lbs. and 126 lbs. to go.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    To get in more protein with the limited amount of food that I can eat, I have been adding protein powder to certain foods like sf/ff pudding and low fat cottage cheese. Basically anything that I can add it to, I do (if I need to up my protein grams for the day) but I found that using two protein drinks a day also really helps me get in the fluids and protein levels as well. I don't worry about the calories because if I stick to the protein and carb goals, the calories will be fine (usually below).