Have you fallen off the wagon?

Options
carolssalva
carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
I got several emails from listeners who have gotten off track lately. I went further off course than I have in years. And since I didn't exercise, motivation is VERY low. I'm excited that this community and these boards are here to help me chat about it and find my way home. Ive had two good days now and I'm feeling pretty confident! Anyone else feel the same?

Replies

• kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's the way summer went for me. Getting back on track slowly, but yeah....
  • carolssalva
    Options
    Well, good to hear that you're back on. Thanks for hanging around here. Helps when folks give us a boost to get back on with them. :)
  • ohhheyyyheather
    Options
    I'm glad you got back on! Still trucking through the podcasts. What is your aporoach/WOE right now Carol?
  • TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    YES! I got off track. I'll make plans to do certain healthy things, but it always gets thrown off with people inviting us to something, or just being lazy. I'm hoping to get back to some type of normalcy, so the holidays don't take too much of a toll on me.
  • angelaneale
    angelaneale Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been back on track since Saturday. It feels good to be back! I've worked out this whole time, but have been eating like crap for close to 6 months and it shows. I'm already less "puffy" than I was Saturday morning. Going back to eating NSNG (no sugars no grains). That works well for me...when I stick to it.

Carol - Did you stop training completely with Rachel Guy? Any plans on starting again? I would love to get your opinions on it since you worked with her for a while.
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have gone off track quite a few times. I was actually very happy that through all the stress and trials over the last 6 weeks I managed to keep it on track. Not a varied diet, but I did stay on. Will I ever go off track again... I am sure of it. I believe I have learned enough good habits to keep it to a minimum though. Yes, it is easy to get off track and then make that your new "normal", particularly for me. Much easier to do in the winter here too if I let it.

Recognize, and then work to fix. Learn from the past; Look forward to the Future. That has helped me a lot lately, and not just around food.

Tchau!
  • carolssalva
    Options
    [quote="markd_cronenwett;30362593"Learn from the past; Look forward to the Future. [/quote]
    Love that quote!

Angela: the Rachel Guy workouts were awesome. But they're more expensive than I thought for the full membership. Like $30/month. It's good but I'm not able to take full advantage.
  • carolssalva
    Options
    Heather: what is a WOE?
  • carolssalva
    Options
    YES! I got off track. I'll make plans to do certain healthy things, but it always gets thrown off with people inviting us to something, or just being lazy. I'm hoping to get back to some type of normalcy, so the holidays don't take too much of a toll on me.
    TJ: that's my plan too!!
  • TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Carol, I'm going to guess Way of Eating.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/WOE.html
  • aceronjr
    aceronjr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of will power to say no and not indulge when out with friends and family. They often subconsciously want to sabotage you by continually tempting you to cheat. Misery loves company ... and so do the guilty and unhealthy. I know because it happens to me. However I'm lucky in that my personality makes it easier to say no because I've never cared much what others think of me, and thus I rarely cave in to peer pressure. Those that don't support you and dismiss your health goals are not the kind of people you want to hang around. "Endeavor to persevere!"
  • carolssalva
    Options
    I know for sure it is easier when there are less temptations around. I think friends don't want to sabotage me. I think they honestly think that I have an unhealthy obsession with trying to eat heathy. They want me to lighten up is all. But the bottom line for me is that I'm better off keeping like-minded people in my circle of influence!
  • aceronjr
    Options
    Perhaps you need to persuade them that you're not obsessing, rather trying to stay on the course you've set for yourself. Also, they're on the outside looking in ... and may possibly give you some insight into your behavior. Are you working harder vs. smarter? Lots of "healthy" activities are still stressers to the body (have to break it down some to rebuild it better). You can't stack too many of those stressers at once and still expect to get good overall results.

By the way, training to improve "athletic performance" vs. losing fat are not the same thing ... and often can't be done simultaneously. Its been determined that you can't train to improve both strength and endurance all in the same workout. Your body adapts to what you did last during a workout. If you lift and then run, your body will adapt to that of a runner while conversely if you run and then lift you'll gain muscle. So if you want to loose fat, go for muscle gain vs. endurance. Also walking at a moderate speed (not a leisurely stroll) has been found to actually be more effective for burning fat than intense cardio.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    WOE = Without Exercise.
  • angelaneale
    angelaneale Posts: 102 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    WOE = Way of Eating.

I'm still on track as of now! Hope you are all doing well!
  • carolssalva
    Options
    Heather: I'm back on Carb Nite. I'm ULC but having too much protein. I made progress my first week back on it but that's to be expected when you cut down on carbs. Probably a lot of water.
    So I'm avoiding carbs and trying to stay pretty high fat til Carb nite. That will be Thanksgiving!
  • aceronjr
    Options
    Carol: I think you and Heron should see who can put away the most carbs on Thanksgiving ;)
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think I will pull up a chair and Popcorn... err Pistachios.. and watch. I am not going anywhere on T day, so I can sit here and watch the drama unfold :smiley:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Oh man, you can certainly add me to the list of people who have fallen off the wagon. I'm now at my highest weight I've been since March of 2010. And I just can't seem to get my head back in the game. I am back to tracking my food and I am getting back in the groove with exercise, but I just can't seem to stay away from the junk food... even though it's causing all kinds of issues, like hives and such! :\
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I need to start by thanking Carol for reaching out to me recently. It was just what I needed. Exchanged some honest messages that left me teary eyed. Wish that we weren’t going through this, but it was nice to know I was not alone. Thank you!!!

Have I “fallen off the wagon”? I would say so! The truth is I climbed a little 4-ft wall at a mud run Sep. 6th and tore my ACL (it's hanging on by a "fiber"). Spiraled downward quickly after I heard I needed surgery and cannot run or do any of the things I enjoyed before (like hitting the trails). Couldn’t do the Tough Mudder with my team. I have also been fighting non-stop vertigo for a month now. When it rains, it pours. Just came back from working a show that we had one too many nights of Bud Light and tequila gimlets. I am ready to do this. Hadn’t stepped on the scale in forever and did it this morning. Shed a few tears when I saw I was at the highest weight I have ever been.

Here’s the topper. Won an award for one of the products I created and there is an awards ceremony in Austin. Sounds great, BUT the thought of wearing a little black dress and getting up in front of a bunch of people at this weight produces extreme anxiety and the eating disorder. Unless I can magically lose 30 pds in a month, there is no way I am going. Something about that touched a chord in me. I don’t want to be that person. The person who misses out on things because of weight. Time to break this cycle.

So there it is. I am going to try like heck to work on this. It’s tough with the lack of cardio, as working out fuels clean eating for me. I’ll figure it out. Thanksgiving is the perfect time to start. Enough with this pity party!

Stacy...You are not alone with the hives. I have been in a state of perpetual hives with all my food allergies. Many of which come from junk food.