For those on LCHFAP

Options
Good morning,

I'm on week three of the Low Carb-High Fat-Adequate Protein diet. I'm wondering if anyone has some good ideas for high fat foods that aren't equally high in fat. I'm having trouble meeting my fat intake goal every day (didn't ever thing I'd be saying those words).

Any yummy ideas? I'm not a big meat eater, and I'm not a huge fan of cheese so I'm struggling to stay on track.

Thanks!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am! And I know a few others that are, too. I actually just switched to full keto a few days ago (was just keeping my carbs under 100g, now I've gone to a goal of 50g). I assume by "high fat foods that aren't equally high in fat" you meant "protein" for the second one?

Do you like cream cheese? It's a good option for a mostly fat food. Whip it up with some softened butter, a little vanilla, and sweetener of your choice, and you have yourself a great cheesecakey treat!

Avocados are also a great source of fats. Add them to smoothies for a great creamy texture. You can also get more fat in by using cream instead of milk for sauces and such.

I tend to add butter to just about everything. Steamed or grilled veggies? Slather in butter (or bacon grease). Eggs? Cooked in butter (that combination ends up making eggs a pretty perfect ratio of fat to protein).

What is it about meat and cheese that you're not a fan of? If it's taste, it might help to try other kinds of different preparations (ie - cheese sauce vs slices of cheese, bison or lamb instead of beef, incorporated into salad vs on its own, etc). Also, don't forget that we don't have to live on skinless chicken breasts. Skin-on makes all the difference! Also, fattier cuts (when cooked right) tend to be quite a bit different in taste than lean cuts.

Your diary isn't open, so it's hard to help you tweak what you're already doing. Feel free to add me, though. My diary is open to friends, and I've been tracking more lately, to help ensure I'm meeting my carb goal, so you can get ideas from there if you want.
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Opps - thought I opened it, but it must not have saved. Open now! And yes I mean high fat but not super high protein. I've never really handled meat, cheese or milk too well - it makes me feel blah. But I've found a few options - like string cheese and bacon that I like and can eat often. I'm such a creature of habit and tend to eat the same things over and over - so finding new foods has been difficult.

Love the idea of cooking more things in butter - that's an easy way to get in some more fat. Right now I'm trying to stay below 100 carbs and most days I'm successful.