Day zero coming to a close - VSG was today!

Options
boomerkae
boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
Checked into the hospital at 530am, off to surgery at 7:15.

Woke up very nauseated and in pain. spent whil in recovery before going to my room. Ive been coughing , then gaggig and bringin up some yuck, but otherwise ok. i try to suck then chew 1-2ice chips to keep my mouth moist, and tha or 1-2 tsp of water kinda hurt.

surgeon said everything went well, tat my surgery was the most fun of the day. no hernia, no fatty liver seen, so yay.

i made one lap around the unit earlier today, n two just a few minutes ago before i get to bed . id really like to get rid of the air/gas....its s o uncomfortable.

it's done....now, tho the future!

sorry for the typos. my tablet and piulse ox finger are not cooperating with me.

Replies

• JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    typos are fine, your doing great especially since you had surgery this morning and I think you are probably a little loopy from pain meds. Great job on the laps. The more laps you do the better off you are in regards to the gassy feeling, the air works its way out. :D Welcome to the new future skinny you
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this side of surgery! So glad it went well, wishing you an easy and speedy recovery!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I feel for you for all that after surgery stuff, Id posted a thread about my experience last month so I completely understand.
    Once you get home, youll feel much more comfortable in your own familiar surroundings!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Glad to hear you are up and around. Expect some bumps in the road, but you are on your way!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your surgery! Best wishes on recovery
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Glad it went well and that you are getting up and walking. Wishing you the bestin your recovery
  • boomerkae
    Options
    thanks everyone. I;m off the heart monitors and the pulse ox finger is gone! Just blew my IV, so i'm waiting for new one. Made a few laps, and found a friend - someone that had preop and consent classes with me that went bypass. I had the optin of going home today, but am waiting til tomorrow. I have two small kids, and want the extra hours of uniterupted sleep and rest.

2oz of juice and 2oz of broth down for breakfast. Just ordered more for lunch and jello for dinner. Full liquids tomorrow!

Gas pain has improved - hoping it continues.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it's going so well. Just keep making laps around the nurses station, the gas will get better the more you do.

Uninterrupted sleep in the hospital? I was lucky if I got 3 hours the night I was there.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you're texting from the hospital!
  • boomerkae
    Options
    I can't believe you're texting from the hospital!

Hospital has wifi and I have a tablet. I'm doing ok!
    pcoppock wrote: »
    Glad to hear it's going so well. Just keep making laps around the nurses station, the gas will get better the more you do.

Uninterrupted sleep in the hospital? I was lucky if I got 3 hours the night I was there.

Uninterrupted compared to my husband and two small kids! When my surgeon asked this morning how they could make my stay better, I asked him to stop waking me at all hours. He said they could probably do that, so hopefully,they will!

Best nurse on the floor just missed two attempts to stick a new IV - waiting for IV therapy now to give anther go. I'm missing a dose of tylenol now!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your surgery. It's so great to know that after all the anticipation and preparing that we finally reached our milestone day. I just had mine last week on Nov. 12 and also had a hard time waking up in recovery. Each day gets better and better. Wishing you a speedy recovery and some uninterrupted sleep at home. :)
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Boomer I know you want to sleep but the best way to get rid of the gas and air trapped in your body from surgery is to walk. My doctor had me walk every two hours for the first 24 hrs. I got up all night, it was a pain but I never had any of the pain you can have from the trapped gas. So happy for you.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling today? Your surgery day is my 2nd day post-op. I hope your 1st day post-op goes well for you. Take care.
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Congrats glade to hear your doing well
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Congrats: Glad to hear all went well during your surgery. Welcome to the other side and you new life awaits you. :) Remember to be kind to yourself, sip, walk, sleep, repeat. The gas will pass, just keep moving. All the best with a quick recovery.
  • boomerkae
    Options
    I came home today!
    The nurses on my floor all cheered me on - I did lots of walking and heard I was either going to wear out my slippers or wear a whole in the floor! I made my laps this morning before the nursing staff was done their exchange.

Once my husband picked me up, we had to stop at the home improvement store to get some things for the house we are rebuilding. I shuffled along with my Bari Buddy (a firm teddy bear they gave me for coughing, etc) for at least half an hour.

Once home, I had some veggie broth and made 2 batches of sugar free pudding with scoops of protein powder added. I have strawberry cheesecake, and chocolate banana cream. :) Family made me some sugar free jello. With two young kids, i've been walking all over the place.

I'm figuring out this out. Sipping water and finding my limit. I know I'm way behind for the day,; will be making a chart later to keep the meals, snacks, and water planning straight. I'm trying now to get all the pills in.

I'm bruised and a little sore, but not too uncomfortable. It's been a good day. I only felt sick once, and it was while I was taking my multivitamins pixy stick style. I think I'll go back to yogurt with them tomorrow.

The site they took the stomach from hurts the most - and looks so weird - i gues from the stiches? it looks indented.

Off to go have some pudding wih potassium then keep sipping the water!

Thanks for all of the support and encouragement!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    So glad that your surgery went well! Good luck on your journey--we will be here for you!
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Glad that things are going so well. Definately take the time to figure out a routine.

I didn't get a Bari Buddy!
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Congrats and glad it all went well and glad your doing well. The first week after was the hardest for me. Trying to figure out this and that. Just take your time to find what fits you. We are all different, but definitely get the fluids in.