Is Stronglifts for me?

Options
punkeson
punkeson Posts: 37 Member
Hi guys!
I'm currently reviewing my weights routine and have asked for advice on other message boards - however, all I'm hearing from everyone is that I should try Stronglifts! I had previously ruled it out, mainly because my gym doesn't have a squat rack and also because I thought the progrm might be too rigid for me. However I've heard so many good things about it that I'm now thinking, well what've I got to lose, I could at least try it?!
My background is...I have been heavy lifting for 6 months, using free weights and mainly isolation exercises. Previously I did Body Pump for about 18 months. The heavy lifting has given me a great shape but I still feel that I'm missing that core, cavewoman strength that I want! Whilst my arms, legs, shoulders and back look lean and shapely my tummy is still not how I want it to look and I think introducing the kind of compound movements in 5x5 would address this (3 kids, 3 caesareans haven't helped! I also need to lose about 6lbs.
Anyway my main concern is that my gym doesn't have a squat rack and changing gyms is not an option. The gym has benches, preset barbells and dumbells and a smith rack. I'm sure this would be enough for me to at least start the program, and if I get to the point where I've outgrown the equipment then I will have to move onto something else. My other concern is that what if I'm not able to increase the weights every workout as recommended? I don't want to injure myself. Also did everyone else start at the weights recommended by the program?
I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can give!
Thanks
Tina x

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    1) you'll eventually need a squat rack. You can get away with it for a time, but as you get into the heavier weights you'll want it so that you can have it catch the weights if you fail. Otherwise, you'll need to practice getting out from under the bar while it's loaded. Plus, you'll need a way to get the weight onto your back.

2) don't use a Smith machine. It makes your ROM weird and makes the exercises easier.

3) If you can't increase your weights every workout, no biggie. I sometimes fail on workouts. If you fail, you repeat the current weight. If you fail 3 times in a row, you deload by 10%.

4) I would say try SL 5x5. If you get to the point where you've outgrown your gym's equipment, then you can change programs again unless finding a new gym becomes a feasible option. If it does, you can then find a gym with a wider array of equipment or even start outfitting your own home gym.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I've only managed 2 days so far (tomorrow is day 3 for me) but I guess I should check out the recommended weights.

Since I hadn't lifted much in about 10 years, I started pretty light in general. I did a practice for overhead press with a 20 lb bar at one gym but managed to do the regular bar when I actually started going through the routine. For the bench press, I started that a couple weeks before routine, so did bar from beginning and added 10 lbs just before getting the courage to just go ahead with SL. I tried a row with dumbbells but that was awkward and a lighter bar. Will try the recommended weight tomorrow. And I haven't officially done a deadlift yet, but working with trainer on monday. I practiced some of the motion with 30 lb dumbbells (just not the set down on the ground part, though I know that's an important part). They did feel a tad heavy but with stuff I pick up at work, I may be able to manage more than I first thought. I think I will do the recommended weight starting on monday when I do the actual lift with trainer.

Worst case, if you don't like it you can try something else in a while.