Caffeine free diet pepsi/coke

Options
wilrhy
wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
About a month ago i was having problems getting enough fluids in. I started to let Caffeine free diet pepsi/coke go flat and used that as a fluid. I spoke to my NUT about it and she said it was fine as long as there was no fizz --it was better to get 64 oz of fluid in rather than not get them in. I hate water even with the flavorings. I also drink Ocean Spray (5 calorie) cranberry and 5 cal lemonade and ice tea. My dr is happy as long as we can get 64 oz in a day---low calorie or water. Does anyone else do this? Thanks, Donna

Replies

• authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I wasn't much into soda before my VSG, so haven't missed them or the flavors much since. Lately, I've been squeezing a fresh lemon into a jug of water and adding a scoop of UNJURY strawberry sorbet protein powder in and shaking for lemon-strawberry protein water. It curbs appetite and hydrates. That might help you get the fluid you need.
  • wilrhy
    Options
    Thank you--
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I used to be a diet Coke fanatic. I weaned off of it pre-surgery and never looked back. I am concerned about all of the chemicals in diet soda---if I need some "fizz", I drink Perrier.
  • wilrhy
    Options
    I do not miss the fizz at all--but I love the taste
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to get my fluids in since surgery Sept 12th. I'm lucky to get a maximum of 30 oz a day most the time I don't even get half that amount. I told my surge on and NUT at my 2 month checkup about it. I can't find anything I like to drink. I can only do very cold drinks and I'm just sick of everything that I know I can even have. I drink water/flavored water/decaf tea and that's all ever lol. Maybe if I could think of something else to drink that I alower I could drink more. I did try juicy juice apple juice the NUT told me to try it, but it's way to much sweetness makes me sick to my stomach.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Wilrhy - When I started the Bariatric Program in February I was told to eliminate all carbonated drinks. I haven't had any since. The only time I crave it is when I'm out at a restaurant and people at the table order it. I do like to have Nestea Zero once in awhile since it's not carbonated and I love iced tea but most restaurants here don't have that as an option.

lbrown1428 - Because fruit juice is so high in sugar, it is recommended to dilute it with water 50/50. This might help you to drink the apple juice that is so sweet.
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I will try that. Thanks :)
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I wasn't much into soda before my VSG, so haven't missed them or the flavors much since. Lately, I've been squeezing a fresh lemon into a jug of water and adding a scoop of UNJURY strawberry sorbet protein powder in and shaking for lemon-strawberry protein water. It curbs appetite and hydrates. That might help you get the fluid you need.

I ordered two things of Unjury, the strawberry sorbet. Every time I mix some up, I end up with about 1.5-2 inches of foam on top of it. Do you get that or do you know how to get rid of that? It's aggravating.

Thanks,
    James
  • wilrhy
    Options
    I boil the caf. free diet pepsi to get the fizz out---I read about some runners that do that because they get bloated from the carbonation--I have plenty of other things here to drink--but find it hard to get 64 oz in---my NUT and Dr feel as long as it is diet not full of calories---it does not have to be water. I am sure they would rater water but.....even out book says fluids
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    jamezln wrote: »
    I ordered two things of Unjury, the strawberry sorbet. Every time I mix some up, I end up with about 1.5-2 inches of foam on top of it. Do you get that or do you know how to get rid of that? It's aggravating.
    It foams a little, but goes flat fast. I don't use a blender. I use a shaker bottle. I use one scoop to about 40 ounces so it's more of a lemonade with the lemon water rather than a shake.

I also use it in my morning coffee with Kroger carbmaster milk. Again, I use the shaker bottle to mix it with the milk, then I add the coffee to it. It's not good to overheat protein, apparently. The coffee is a little foamy, but not annoyingly so. Are you using a blender?

• jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    It foams a little, but goes flat fast. I don't use a blender. I use a shaker bottle. I use one scoop to about 40 ounces so it's more of a lemonade with the lemon water rather than a shake.
    I also use it in my morning coffee with Kroger carbmaster milk. Again, I use the shaker bottle to mix it with the milk, then I add the coffee to it. It's not good to overheat protein, apparently. The coffee is a little foamy, but not annoyingly so. Are you using a blender?
    [/quote]

I only mix mine with water and I shake it also. Oh well, I guess i'll just deal with it for now, but I don't think i'll buy anymore.