Getting weaker? What's going on?!

Options
LazyFoodie
LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Since last Friday to today, I've gotten weaker on some of my lifts. I have been sleeping okay, taking it easy on cardio when my legs are tired and eating about 200 calories more per day since Monday so I really don't understand why my OHP and deadlifts are getting worse. Squats are just not progressing which is not as disturbing to me. I still have a calorie deficit but thought I'd at least be able to stay at the same strength if not make progress every time. Why am I going down? Especially on a week where I actively ate more to lift better? Isn't it too early to be not getting the newbie gains anymore? I've been focusing on eating a lot of protein this week also, could it be that I'm not getting enough carbs? Very frustrating!

Friday Nov. 14th:
Squats: 3x5, 1x4, 1x2 105lbs
Bench 5x5 67.5lbs
Deadlift: 1x5 140lbs (felt great, didn't struggle, thought I'd be at 150 next time)

Mon. Nov 17th:
Squats 5x5 105lbs
OHP: 5x4 62.5lbs
Deadlift: Tried 150 and couldn't get it off the floor, took weight off 2.5lbs at a time and ended up with 1x4 142.5lbs with decent form.

Wed. Nov. 19th:
Squats: 1x5, 1x4, 1x3, 2x4 at 107.5lbs
Bench: 5x5 70lbs
Row: 5x5 72.5lbs

Friday Nov. 21:
Squats: 2x5, 1x2, 2x4 at 107.5lbs
OHP: Loaded 65lbs and couldn't raise one, went down to 62.5 and still couldn't do it. Ended up doing1x3, 4x4 at 60lbs
Deadlift: Tried 145lbs and felt too heavy. Ended up doing 2x3 at 137.5lbs which felt heavier than the 140 from last Friday.

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Bad weeks happen. Could be your hormones playing tricks on you (TOM sucks). Could be that your immune system is working overtime to fight off some bacteria you're not super aware of. The failures, like it or not, will affect your following set, so it's not like you really lost the strength, you just weren't fresh heading into those sets.

Caloric deficits also can take a lil while to catch up to you. Carbs do make a bit of a difference too.

Making 10lbs jumps on the deadlift gettign close to 150 might also be more than you think.

It really doesn't look that bad to me. Regress your weights back about 10% and get back to it, you'll probably be zooming right past this in 2 weeks without a single glance back :)
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks krokador! I was worried but I feel better just hearing it happens...

And I just realized I typed my workouts wrong too. Last Friday I did squats, bench and row. The OHP and deadlifts were from last Wed.