Potassium

Options
boomerkae
boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
I'm having a hard time with my potassium pills. They say to crush them, but they are super hard and o so bitter.

Anyone actually swallow theirs? I've tried banging them, grating them, . they are just awful!

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamin capsule that's huge.
    I have to take it apart and pour the powder (medicine) into (about) a Tbsp of SF applesauce to take it that way.
    The thing though is it makes the applesauce grainy/gritty and it also has an extremely bitter and after taste to it...its gross!
    Not even the applesauce can mask that taste :flushed:
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    they have a liquid potassium, but it is oh so gross, it flavors everything for awhile. You could try a mortar and pestle and make jello shots (non alcoholic ones) use a strong flavored jello, have them set in and ice cube tray. 1 pill for every ice cube portion. I got sick every time I had to take my chewable vitamins, it was not in my best interest to stop taking them, I found that out later. It was definitely my learning experience, do what they say or you pay for it with your health.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to deal with all these different vitamin packs, just a one a day chewable, but what about soaking it in something you like to drink that you can have? Will it dissolve? I would try that. I did have to crush the pills I too and the pill crusher was the stuff. CVS, twist and crush. I also had to buy a pill cutter to take the reflux meds since it was extended release that I was already taking. The cutter was cheap also. Cut that thing in half and take it one piece by piece, or crush them after the split, mix with a good protein drink and viola, never taste it.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've come to terms with the nasty. I am now cutting it in fourths and getting it in, but it's not always easy. Twice a day.
    I had my pos-op today, and decided to switch to the chewable vitamins. I've had a hard time getting all my liquid in, so I wasn't comfortable being only on the powdered kind. This way, I know i'm getting them in.

Potassium for a month...24 more days to go.