Favorite cardio to do with Stronglifts?

Options
LazyFoodie
LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
What kind of cardio do you ladies do with your lifting?

The stairs are my favorite machine in the gym but I've been avoiding them for the past week or so to rest my legs for better squat performance. I did the elliptical today but found it was hard to really get my heart rate up without jacking up the resistance really high which then was sort of defeating the point of avoiding the stairs to rest the legs.... I think I'm going to do more swimming on non-lifting days.

On a semi-related tangent, what are those stair machines actually called? I always thought they were called stairmasters but was told stairmasters are actually those step machines that look nothing like stairs...

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I used to do personal training with a friend and he had a machine he called Jacob's Ladder. It was like a treadmill with a ladder/steps. You used your arms and legs and you controlled the speed. I hated that evil thing!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I do is some walking on the treadmill before lifting.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I just walk to the gym and/or do some jumping jacks and dynamic stretching before lifting.

I aim to do no more than 2 cardio sessions a week (normally 45 minute spin class) and try to make yoga once.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'm flexible though on days I lift, I only do treadmill for a little warm up and if it's a day off a longer one to get more steps in since I walk more at work than at home. I'd like to check out a couple of the classes at the gym but haven't gotten a chance yet. Most of the time the cardio sessions will be on non-lifting days and in part to help with the calorie deficit along with general fitness.

Machine wise, I tend to stick to the treadmill as it's the only one I have done before. When it's warm again in spring, I'll move my walking outside again and start the couch to 5k program as my goal is to jog/run a 5k in 2015. I like zumba but haven't done it in a few years. I stay away from spinning though, or exercise bikes. I might try the stair thing at the gym but just to get that little stair badge on fitbit because my little set up to my apartment isn't enough for that. Then again, I never really get bored doing anything, so it's whatever I feel like that day.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I usually do one cardio of either treadmill (5km or intervals) and 5000m of row on another day. I don't really do more than 30-40 minutes inc warmup/cooldown. Because, bleh cardio.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Barbell Complexes, Clean and Jerks, Cardio around the world, HIIT, TRX cables, coreball work,and dancing. :bigsmile:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    jump rope, circuit training, running outside when the weather allows it, friendly soccer games. If I *have* to use a machine it's usually the rower. I have always wanted to try Jacob's ladder though. ooks fuuun! =D

Oh, and burpees. Nothing gets the heart pumping quite like burpees. lol

I also dabble in DDR from time to time. It's mindless enough yet fun and still gets me a good sweat, and I can do it in the comfort of my living room :)

Oh, and some workout DVDs can be fun too! ^^
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    DDR! Wish I still had my set up for it.

I googled a picture of jacobs ladder. I think i would be afraid to fall off! But looks like it would be fun to try, too bad my gym doesn't have one.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I miss DDR. Sometimes on the radio station that plays at work will hear Castle in the Sky and it makes me want to DDR so bad. Fun times those were back in college.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    pyp1z7cko26j.jpg

...that's pretty much it
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I really love the rowing machine!
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I run. I know it probably slows my progression, but I love it, so I run.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I walk before lifting. Post-lifting I will either use the stair-climber, or interval training (walk/run) on the treadmill. On alternate days I do Zumba, TRX Training, Ab/Core training.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I usually walk or do HIIT. I tried to run during the summer time, but I didn't really enjoy it.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    For now, I'm just walking my dog and walking/biking back and forth from school. Would like to add more of the same and some HIIT.
  • MistyinTN
    MistyinTN Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been sticking with the elliptical but I went to my new gym today and I worked with a trainer so I think I'll be mixing up my cardio. He's a big fan of rows which I have never done but I'm so excited to be working with someone. That huge gym is totally intimidating.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Biking is my favorite but outside. During the long Canadian Winter it's treadmill and stationary cycling. I am trying not to do as much cardio now as I am getting my lifting schedule and progress established. Come Spring though I will be back out on my bike :-)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I walk pretty much every day. An hour a day on the weekends, a half hour a day during the week. Sometimes I'll do the bike or treadmill at the gym.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm doing aerobics or elliptical every other day. If I don't feel like working out, I'll play Just dance with my HRM on, and still have a good burn for 45 min. of fun.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Roller derby is my cardio. 5-8 hrs of practice a week on skates. Lots of endurance work. I figure I don't need much more than that. I do spend about 10 minutes on the elliptical to warm up before lifting, but that is it.