Stronglifts?

Options
bregrig
bregrig Posts: 154 Member
A few people at my box were telling me they do some sort of the Stronglifts program. Not sure if it was the 5x5 or what. But has anyone had any experiences with Stronglifts or tried it out? And does the program fit in with doing crossfit? Thanks so much!

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    For me it's not a good fit because it has too much back squat volume for my programming given that I also take olympic lifting classes and do a lot of extra front squatting and overhead squatting. I personally like to use a Wendler 5/3/1 progression on my lifts and just switch the days around after I know what my WODs are. It's less volume but I do get some strength training volume in Crossfit itself. If you are new to strength training, it's a good place to start. For me, I'm in an intermediate spot and I use a 5/3/1 scheme on bench, DL, press, back squat, front squat, and overhead squat. It is a really good program but I would personally have a hard time making it fit in with my WODs if I was Rx'ing the weight unless I did it on days I was not WOD'ing. Just me though...everyone is different.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^What Kelly said. It works, but it's an awful lot of squat volume. I used a similar workout instead.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/forget-steroids-5-fullbody-workouts-for-serious-gains.html

(first of five workouts in this link)

It gives you a day per week with no squats and I felt like it was more doable. Doing it in conjunction with CF is another thing altogether, given that you can't predict the WODs.

You really don't want to do squats or deadlifts on back to back days.

Another options would just be to have these workouts easily avaiable (I keep them on the notepad on my phone) and if we do a squat day sometimes I'll jump in and do the other exercises.