Opinions on Boardman frames?

Options
I'm thinking about using the UK Cycle to Work scheme to upgrade my road bike this year. Much tax saving, and spread over a year, so it makes it reasonably attractive.

The problem is that my employer has a strategic deal with Halfords, who're in the mediocre end of the supply market; casual users and kids. That limits the range of frames available to me. Halfords own the Chris Boarman marque following acquisition this year.

Any views on how the road bikes stack up against their competition? While it's a good tax saving I'm still looking at spending a reasonable amount.

Because of the constraints around CTW I'm limited to an alloy frame, rather than carbon. I'm currently riding a Specialized Allez frame on Mavic rims and a Shimano 105 groupset. My MTB is also Specialized and my commuter is a Brompton, previously bought using CTW about 5 years ago.

Thanks

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I run a 2010 Boardman Team Carbon (bought in April 2011) & a 2013 Boardman CX Team... Both of which have behaved impeccably! The stiffness of the carbon frame isn't up to that of some of the more expensive brands, but, you get what you pay for... Halfrauds do also offer a service to 'buy-in' bikes, so you don't have to rely on Halfords stock!

See here for more info... You can buy just about any bike really! ;)

Also, you'd be better building and checking the bike yourself (if you're proficient with a spanner), rather than allowing some 17 year old 'yoof' on minimum wage doing it for you... Don't get me wrong, some stores are excellent, but a lot of others leave a LOT to be desired! You'd be perhaps better paying a Local Bike Shop (LBS) a few quid to build and check it on your behalf if you are not confident, rather than having a catastrophic failure a few months down the line...

All in all, go for it ;) N+1 is always good :)

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nothing meaningful to offer, just curious how much better the end product will be versus your current setup, especially if you're limited in what's available though the CTW program. An Alez on mavics running 105 isn't a bad ride by any means.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Oh there's a bit of N+1, but my road bike is quite old and I'm seeing the components wearing out so they're likely to want replacing soon. It then becomes a question of whether it makes more sense to get a new rig rather than piecemeal repairs.

The CTW budget might stretch to a carbon frame with clipless and tri-bars if there is some scope for a bit of negotiation. And given the 40% saving that makes for a cost effective package.

As far as build is concerned, happy to do that. I did it with the existing one, but I might then take it in for a fit session at the LBS.

I've got another ten days to decide though.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I think they're pretty damned good value - though, as Clive says, unless you're handy with the spanners, budget for getting it fettled at a proper bike shop as I wouldn't trust halfords with any technology more advanced than an Anvil.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust halfords with any technology more advanced than an Anvil.

:lol: My point exactly! :blush:

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Well crunch time tomorrow, I'm tempted by the carbon road frame but the cyclocross set up looks pretty entertaining.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    So I've just committed to the budget to pay for the road set up. I'll add some cash for Look pedals and new shoes.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    So I've just committed to the budget to pay for the road set up. I'll add some cash for Look pedals and new shoes.

So, what have you gone for in the end?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    The Boardman carbon frame with the Tiagra groupset. I'll throw a bit of extra cash at it.

For a while the heart was saying road, and the head was saying the CX.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Road frame...

• Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the new ride
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Don't forget to post some piccies!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    When it arrives. I'm patiently (honest guv) sitting waiting for the T&Cs email to come through so that I can get the letter of collection.