Did you really....

Options
2»

Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    meglo91 wrote: »
    I think I posted the first week I was doing SL and was like, "Uh, this seems too easy, should I add more weight?" And someone wise (can't remember who) was like "TRUST THE PROGRAM". And I did, to include using 2.5 lb weights and feeling like a dork.
    I've just kind of gotten to the point of eff it at the gym. I do not care what others think anymore, because stuff is HAPPENING, son.
    This morning I put the 45s on my squat bar and pwned it. Come Monday it will be the 45s PLUS the dinky 2.5s. Anyone who has a problem can suck it.

You're a bada$$ :smiley:

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Maybe I did it wrong, but if I started with an unloaded bar (45#) and then added the recommended 5# for my next SL A workout out, I would be pressing with the bar and 2 "itty-bitty" 2.5# plates, cuz, you know, 2.5x2 = 5lbs.

If I added the 5# plates, that would be an incremental increase of 10#, right?????
  • SouthernDaisy4
    SouthernDaisy4 Posts: 45 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Maybe I did it wrong, but if I started with an unloaded bar (45#) and then added the recommended 5# for my next SL A workout out, I would be pressing with the bar and 2 "itty-bitty" 2.5# plates, cuz, you know, 2.5x2 = 5lbs.

If I added the 5# plates, that would be an incremental increase of 10#, right?????

You did it right. Next time you use the 5# plates, then the next time after that the 5# plus the 2.5 % fractionals.
  • SouthernDaisy4
    Options
    Well I used them. It was really easy, but I focused on form.
  • Calliope610
    edited December 2014
    Options

You did it right. Next time you use the 5# plates, then the next time after that the 5# plus the 2.5 % fractionals.

No! The incremental increase is 5lbs each session until you reach failure after 3 attempts, then you deload by 10%. Because the progression is 45#, 50#, 55# etc. NOT 45#, 50#, 60# (50 +2x5), 75# (60 + 2x(5+2.5)).
  • SouthernDaisy4
    Options

No! The incremental increase is 5lbs each session until you reach failure after 3 attempts, then you deload by 10%. Because the progression is 45#, 50#, 55# etc. NOT 45#, 50#, 60# (50 +2x5), 75# (60 + 2x(5+2.5)).

I think we are saying the same thing, that you did it correctly. You added 5 # total using the incremental plates and next time you would just use the 5 # plates to add 10 pounds total, then after that you add the incrementald back in but keep the 5 # plates to add 15# total. That's 45 ( bar only), 50, 55, 60.
  • SouthernDaisy4
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Rereading my post, I typed % instead of #. They are next to each other on my tiny iPhone screen. If that is what you are referring to I meant 2.5# fractional plates, not 2.5% fractional plates -which isn't a real thing as far as I know. If so, sorry for the confusion.

Or maybe I misundestood your post. I thought you were saying that you completed your second squat day and added the 2.5s for a total +5 lbs, which was correct, then I just was saying you go to the 5 lb plates (only) after that then add the 2.5 lb incrementals again. .. So "next time" was referring to the session after the incrementals, not after the bare bar.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    And then when you have to deload a few times because you can't progress anymore is the time where you start using 1.25lbs fractionals and upping by 2.5 total :)

(And you guys are doing it right. Don't jump to 65 right away if you've never lifted or trained! xD)
  • Calliope610
    Options
    Rereading my post, I typed % instead of #. They are next to each other on my tiny iPhone screen. If that is what you are referring to I meant 2.5# fractional plates, not 2.5% fractional plates -which isn't a real thing as far as I know. If so, sorry for the confusion.

Or maybe I misundestood your post. I thought you were saying that you completed your second squat day and added the 2.5s for a total +5 lbs, which was correct, then I just was saying you go to the 5 lb plates (only) after that then add the 2.5 lb incrementals again. .. So "next time" was referring to the session after the incrementals, not after the bare bar.

OK, yes, I see we are talking about the same thing, just using different frame of reference :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    What is a minor annoying situation is when you need those 2.5 ones and they are no where to be found. Setting up to do squats last night, I needed them to do the proper increase. Could not find a single one near the squat rack. My gym has the weights split in two sections: upper and lower. I had to go over near the benches in order to find a set of fractionals to use in order to get my sets done.

I'm also pretty sure I saw a couple guys doing curls in the deadlift spot. Or something very similar to them. That was kinda weird...

Anyways, quite the nuisance when you need those itty bitty plates and they aren't around.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    On BP, I am now at 60 lbs. requiring me to add some 2.5 lbs. plates in there...I do not feel weird at all...actually I am glad, for I can go lower (make the bar hit my chest/check form), etc...they are a bit harder to run through the bar though (when loading)....
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    So, as promised, here's a pic of my latest OHP -- 47.5 lbs. Just the bar and my 1.25 lbs. plates. Hilarious. I'll try to get the whole bar in the photo next time -- it will be much funnier.

dcmli3ku87t5.jpg
    OHP.jpg 150.7K
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    oooo

That is pretty awesome. :wink:
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    oooo

That is pretty awesome. :wink:

DON'T MOCK ME!!!!!

* Throws down 1.25 lb plate (which just bounces and rolls like a quarter) and stomps off to pout.*

Hahaha! Just kidding -- OBVIOUSLY.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    You sure? hehehe

They do look handy. Though a tantrum with them would be amusing to see.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i wanna see footage of crab lifting with them. i'm not gonna quit until this is made fact.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    OK, first, no to "crab" as a nickname. Just no. :) (But seriously, please no.)

And I'll post footage of me lifting with them right after you post a picture of yourself.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    OK, first, no to "crab" as a nickname. Just no. :) (But seriously, please no.)

i'll remember. sorry.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    No apology necessary. :) It's to be expected given my user name. Sorry if I was snotty about it.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    well, no-one's less crabby than you, so it just doesn't work on any of the levels anyway.

plus, i macerate people who shorten my own real name. so i relate.