Training for a 5k

Options
It's a little goal :) but I quit smoking (light smoker for 6 years) and I'm starting to train now. It isn't until July 26th...but any tips on how to work up to a strong pace without killing my lungs?

Replies

• CarleyJo89
    CarleyJo89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did a 10k in may after never running before in my life!!

I always found it easier running with someone. You don't tend to concentrate so much on your breathing. Also it gives you a 'I'm not stopping if they're not stopping' mentality.

Hope that helps :)
  • WestCoaster831
    Options
    Thanks! It would be nice to do it with someone else!
  • FinishLineFanatic13
    Options
    I found a cool app on my iPhone called "5k Trainer for Pink." It's free! It has you running three days a week. The first week starts you out very nice, 5 min warm up followed with 60 sec running 90 sec of walking. It repeats that until the last 5 minutes, then your cool down begins :) Then the following weeks build you up until you finally reach your 5k goal. It has helped me so much!
    Also remember to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth, slow and steady. Hope this helps some :)
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    how many weeks is the training until you reach 5k?
  • njoinersoccer
    Options
    Just do it. Get into a rythm with your breathing and just go. First time i ran a 5k i just ran it and was a pack a day smoker for about 15 years. Took me about 30 minutes to run it. Oddly enough i quit 2 weeks ago.