Metformin makes me angry?

Options
I have only been on metformin for a few days, but I have noticed that I am irritable and just plain angry 90% of the time. Instead of my highs and lows being happy vs. depression like it usually is, it has been depression vs. anger. Anger for no reason. Angry because my bf left a funnel on the counter, angry because an appointment needed to be moved up 15 minutes, angry because a cabinet door wasn't closed all the way. And I don't mean that I just got irritated for a second, I mean, I have been getting truly angry for long periods of time. At everyone. The first evening I was on it and the next morning I assumed that I was just still angry because of the terribly unprofessional way that my doctor behaved in our last meeting, but now I'm starting to think that it is the metformin. I can handle it making me feel sick, but I don't think I can handle the anger.
Has anyone else experienced anger or aggression or just plain irrational irritation while taking metformin? Also, I have had a headache since I took the first pill Friday evening. Is this like the diarrhea and will just go away, or should I speak with my doctor about these side effects?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    To me, that sounds like all of your hormones and such are out of whack while trying to finally balance out. Our bodies learn to compensate for our messed up systems, and when we finally fix things the way they are supposed to go, we feel like total crap and way worse until things level out properly. Unless you feel completely uncontrollable, I'd give it a month or two following your plan to give everything a chance to work right together... Best of luck!