1st Competition (scaled) on Saturday

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
I've got my 1st competition (scaled) this coming Saturday (Dec. 13th). I've participated in a couple of in-house group and/or events at my box (Turkey-Throwdown, Barbells-for-Boobs, etc.), but this will be my 1st offical "I'm going to be on my own" event.

Here are the WODs for the "Winter Warzone":

#1: "Chilly Willy"
AMRAP 8:00
3/3, 6/6, 9/9, 12/12, etc.
Lateral Burpees
Clean & Jerk (95#/65#)
-rest: 1:00-
AMRAP 1:00
Wall Balls (14#/10#) to 10'

#2: Three attempts to establish a 5 Rep-Max Front Squat in 3 minutes.
Set will be executed at 0:00; 3:00; 6:00; etc

#3: "Twenty Degrees"
Three Rounds for Time of:
20 Calorie Row
20 KB Swings (35#/26#)
20 Box Jumps (24"/20")

*The 1st listed weight is for men and the 2nd is for women.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Play with #2 before hand. You won't get more than 3 shots at it in that time frame. Also look at what weights they have available to you and make sure you know which combos get you to your weight attempts without having to think about it.

I'd do a "safe" one first to make sure you put up a number. Let's say that's 155. Next try might be 175. Make sure you have 4 10s available and if not, figure out how you're getting there (might have to strip something off then add back on.

Hope that makes sense.

That first one would kill me. I suck at any kind of jumping burpee. Keep practicing wall balls at 20# this week and that 14# ball will seem like a feather for the first few reps.

#3, just go get it. Use the jumps (or step ups) for your rest. Pick a pace that lets you recover slightly then just go after the row and swings.

Good luck!
  • MDLNH
    Options
    Bostonwolf - Thanks for the tips/suggestions. I've been practicing these elements since last week and plan to work/focus more on the front squats tomorrow. *and lateral burpees are defintely not my favorite.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    good luck - you'll be nervous but these kind of comps are so exciting!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I usually go fast as possible on the ground to overheads (clean & jerks) and then just move steadily on the burpees without ever resting to use burpees almost as a recovery. LOL. Recovery burpees. :) You don't want to gas yourself so bad from the burpees that you can't do the wall balls and it looks like the wall balls are meant to be an all out sprint if it was 1 min?
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I'll also add that you shouldn't care at all what other people are doing around you. Just go at the best/fastest pace possible for YOU and enjoy the experience. You'll realize a few things after the fact that you'll do different next time you compete.
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    How did you go?
  • MDLNH
    Options
    The day went great . . . There were almost 80 competitors (33 males and 46 females), so the box was packed w/ athletes and supporters. Here's how things went for me:

WOD #1: Managed to finish the 12/12 count and got 1 burpee into the 15/15 round. I'm glad my judge helped me count. As for the wall balls, I got 21 done in 1 minute.

WOD #2: Got 185 pounds for 5 reps. This was a PR for me for 5 reps.

WOD #3: My time was: 9:45. I did all my box jumps as step-ups until the very last one, which I saved for a jump!!!

**Overall, I placed 27th (outta 33) for males. I am very pleased with my performance, my results and now I'm looking forward to my next event. And I felt so great afterwards both physically and mentally.
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it .... bring on the next one!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Good job! I think I might be doing one in Rhode Island in February.