SLDL confusion

Options
jemhh
jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
Hello there. I'm not sure if this group is active or not but I thought I'd start here.

I am completely confused about the SLDL for the All Pro routine. I've read through what seems like hundreds of posts on the bodybuilding.com AP threads and it seems like every time the SLDL comes up, a different SLDL video is posted and it looks different from the last video posted or the ones posted in the FAQs. Are there really that many variations on the SLDL? Can anybody confirm that this one shows good form? At this point I think I am just going to follow it and then ignore any other posts saying "no, no, use this form!" because I'm getting frustrated.

Replies

• watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That video looks like a RDL (romanian) rather than a SLDL. RDL has a partial range of motion compared to the SLDL as the SLDL should be lifted from the ground, plus further out from the body than the RDL.

There is nothing wrong with doing RDL instead of SLDL especially if flexibility is a problem. It will allow you to keep some knee bend while working the same muscles as the SLDL.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    check this out:

http://bretcontreras.com/whats-the-difference-between-a-romanian-deadlift-american-deadlift-stiff-legged-deadlift-and-straight-leg-deadlift/

To further the confusion, some people say SLDL and mean what Contraras here calls the "Stiff Legged Deadlift" and some say SLDL and mean what he calls "Straight legged deadlift".

most people confuse the latter with the RDL.

The RDL has more focus on knee bend and driving the *kitten* backwards. Dan John teaches it by having the trainee try to touch a wall behind them with their *kitten*. You can go deep if you have the flexibility, but most people lose the tightness in their lower backs, so you probably just want to go between just below the knee to mid-shin and see how your form is.

The SLDL, as in a Straight Legged deadlift, starts from the top, but there's little (or no) knee bend and a greater range of motion is used.

When I ran the programme I used RDL. I'm a big fan of the lift anyway and it has a good carry over to the second pull for stuff like cleans which I have an interest in.

You certainly won't ruin the programme with either variation though. Just pick one and learn how to perform it well for a few cycles - you can always switch to the other variation and then use that for a few cycles. It's all grist to the mill in the end...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Since when have you not been able to say a-r-s-e? Most of the world doesn't even recognise it as a word, let alone one that needs to be asterixed...