"Lift like a woman" Fitness Assessment

Options
So I went to the gym for my fitness assessment last night, the first guy I met with was a COMPLETE *kitten* and was telling me how I should be doing higher reps/lower weight with 10lb dumbbells vs the stronglifts 5x5 program, and told me some convoluted math problem to convince me I’d be moving more weight doing high reps with a 10lb dumbbell than with 5 sets and 5 reps with an 80lb barbell…. UMMMM OK WHATEVER DUDE! So the trainer took me out on the floor and did squats, deadlifts, chest, core, back, shoulders, triceps, hip flexibility and a little cardio (with the heavy ropes you move with your arms) and we went back into the room and the *kitten* was like “what were her strengths and weaknesses?” the trainer goes “Her core and back are really strong, her deadlifts and squats are perfect and her only weakenesses were her chest, triceps and left hip” the *kitten* changed his tune after that and was like “Have you ever thought about doing a strong woman competition”

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Jerks like that are everywhere. I asked one guy if he minded if I deadlifted behind him (he was doing shrugs in the squat rack) he told me he was done and offered to help me with my weights. I told him it's unnecessary but he tried to put 25lbs on one side of my bar, I had to just roll my eyes and ask him to stop. Assuming I couldn't deadlift 100lbs when I was deadlifting 185lbs was a bit insulting, but he was an idiot and left me alone after I set up my bar :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Well, at least he was willing to change his tune instead of blindly sticking to his original advice.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Well, at least he was willing to change his tune instead of blindly sticking to his original advice.

Have to agree with this :smile:

I'm really glad that I've been going to the gym long enough that just about everyone who works there knows who I am. And most of the people who go at the same time as me know who I am. But I have gotten looks/comments from people who don't know me about "lifting too much" or "not belonging in the weights area." I just smile and then prove them wrong (just like you did :wink:).
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Have to agree with this :smile:

I'm really glad that I've been going to the gym long enough that just about everyone who works there knows who I am. And most of the people who go at the same time as me know who I am. But I have gotten looks/comments from people who don't know me about "lifting too much" or "not belonging in the weights area." I just smile and then prove them wrong (just like you did :wink:).

Thanks guys :smile: i thought it was kinda hilarious that as soon as i proved myself he went automatically to a strong woman competion, which i have nothing against the women that train to do that, but he never asked about what i wanted to get out of strength training like toning, lose fat, retain muscle, etc. but yes, at least he was willing to change his tune :smile:
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've been very lucky at my gym, all the guys I have talked to in there are really nice and some have said they're impressed to see a girl in there lifting with the barbell. They've also given me some helpful form advice. Hopefully you will run into more people like that than the guy you are describing.

I would be so mad if someone told me I "didn't belong in the weights area"! Who says that??
  • xcalygrl
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been very lucky at my gym, all the guys I have talked to in there are really nice and some have said they're impressed to see a girl in there lifting with the barbell. They've also given me some helpful form advice. Hopefully you will run into more people like that than the guy you are describing.

I would be so mad if someone told me I "didn't belong in the weights area"! Who says that??

TO the bolded, the people who still believe that "lifting makes women bulky." LOL
  • leooftheyear
    Options

TO the bolded, the people who still believe that "lifting makes women bulky." LOL

or that just becuase you are lifting heavy that means you should do a strong woman competition and want to become a meathead like them?!?

• xcalygrl
    Options

or that just becuase you are lifting heavy that means you should do a strong woman competition and want to become a meathead like them?!?

Of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I mean, that's the only reasonable expectation once you've started lifting heavy weights, lol!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

like trying to buy a bike when you're a woman. if you don't want a 50-pound travelling armchair with pink streamers hanging from the bell and a basket up front, you must be a Roadie and want lance armstrong's old bike. stupidly frustrating.

• leooftheyear
    Options

Of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I mean, that's the only reasonable expectation once you've started lifting heavy weights, lol!

LMFAO!!!! my other favorite part was when i told him how long of a rest i take between sets (1.5 mins, 3 mins or 5 mins) he was liek well your rest periods shouldn't be that long, i only take 26 seconds and i count my ABCs, 1 letter a second..... UMMMMMMM OK MR.MEATHEAD
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I've been very lucky at my gym, all the guys I have talked to in there are really nice and some have said they're impressed to see a girl in there lifting with the barbell. They've also given me some helpful form advice.

i've had mostly that too. if you're lucky and get that kind of atmosphere overall, the one or two morphodites who do stick their heads up can be more like comic relief than anything you really worry about. i'll cross my fingers about it for the op.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    some convoluted math problem

oh, so he does math? that's a little bit of a surprise, coming from a guy who needs his abcs to help him count up to 26 when he's in between sets.

should ask him if he can count to 21 without dropping his pants :D

• leooftheyear
    Options
    I've been very lucky at my gym, all the guys I have talked to in there are really nice and some have said they're impressed to see a girl in there lifting with the barbell. They've also given me some helpful form advice.

i've had mostly that too. if you're lucky and get that kind of atmosphere overall, the one or two morphodites who do stick their heads up can be more like comic relief than anything you really worry about. i'll cross my fingers about it for the op.

Thanks :smile: the trainer and even the guy who signed me up for the gym were both super supportive of me lifting, so i'm hoping it ws just that one guy

• leooftheyear
    Options
    some convoluted math problem

oh, so he does math? that's a little bit of a surprise, coming from a guy who needs his abcs to help him count up to 26 when he's in between sets.

should ask him if he can count to 21 without dropping his pants :D

LMFAO :smiley: i just shook my head and was like whateve mr.meathead
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    The trainer who gave the guy feedback on your assessment, were they male or female?
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Oh yes, true. I just shake my head at those people. lol

• leooftheyear
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »
    The trainer who gave the guy feedback on your assessment, were they male or female?

They were male, i actually really liked him and am considering signing up for session with him
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

like trying to buy a bike when you're a woman. if you don't want a 50-pound travelling armchair with pink streamers hanging from the bell and a basket up front, you must be a Roadie and want lance armstrong's old bike. stupidly frustrating.

LOL silly girl, the gentler sex should not ride bikes or else they'll get the Bicycle Face garethrees.org/2012/01/10/shadwell/
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    LOL silly girl, the gentler sex should not ride bikes or else they'll get the Bicycle Face

clearly the guy's never seen anything like my Deadlifting Face or he wouldn't worry so much about bikes. idk why, but having my entire lower lip area sucked in underneath my top teeth helps the transition from pull to lockout.

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Interesting how the response you got in the main forum to the same opening post is so different to what you got in here.