My first BIG health benefit

I am one month in and 20 lbs down since surgery. I have been on BP meds for over 10 years. Since surgery I have been taking my BP measurement a few times a week to monitor. As of today, I get to cut my meds in half and in another 20 lbs down I will likely be off all together. YAY! Prior to surgery I really hoped I would be able to get off BP med, but I also thought it was possible that since high BP runs in my family I may have to stay on it forever. I really didn't think it would happen this soon. I know this sound corny, but I am so thankful that I was brave enough to take the step of having the VSG surgery and I am so thankful for the changes that are already happening to my health. I know my path will have its bumps, but I am really hopeful for what my life is becoming.

Replies

• Living4me123
    Living4me123 Posts: 52 Member
    That is awesome!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    That's wonderful! Congrats! I am also regularly noticing positives I hadn't considered in my decision and am so happy I took the leap as well!
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    One of the greatest NSV's is going off meds!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Love it!! Congrats!!! :)
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Love it! I have not been taking my bp meds since surgery 2.5 weeks ago and bp has been stellar! Very weird to me because, like you, hypertension runs in my family, skinny or heavy. I am looking forward to surprise benefits as this goes along!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Congratulations. That is awesome news. :)
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited December 2014
    Congrats OP :smiley:
    I get where youre coming from, today I went to see my (personal) Dr and running down the list of meds Id been taking (between what she'd put me on and what the surgeon had me on), I told her "nope, not taking metformin anymore, the surgeon checked my glucose and its now at a normal rate!"
    It felt great to be able to get off of them but to also be able to tell her "Im no longer on that!"
    She was so surprised :blush:
    BTW...I only found out in March that I was diabetic so having this surgery came at a great time because I didn't want to rely on meds or have to check my blood all day indefinitely!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Wonderful news that you are starting to reduce (or even stop!) medications. For a while there, I was beginning to feel like a walking pharmacy and my prescription $$ were adding up too. Since surgery, I have been able to stop all my insulin and reduce my glipizide to the lowest dose. Those are measures of improving our health in addition to the pounds coming off. :smiley:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I did the same thing, cut them in half and then got off them completely, it's a great feeling! We also have HBP in our family and I worried too that I might be on them forever, but it's not the case. Like you, I am so thankful for the benefits this surgery has given me even if my weight loss isn't where I want it to be. :)
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Wonderful news! Congrats!
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    That's what i'm talking about. The meds are going away....along with possibly the Cpap. Congratulations.
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Congrats. That's a great NSV. Before you know it you will be completely off. Happy for you
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Fantastic!
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Wow! What a great NSV!
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    That's'd great!! I'm hoping my sleep apnea goes away if it hasn't already.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    lbrown1428 wrote: »
    That's'd great!! I'm hoping my sleep apnea goes away if it hasn't already.

I am hoping for that too. My sleep doctor told me not to check in with them until I am about 30-40 lbs from my goal. They said at that point I should try a few nights of sleeping w/out the CPAP and see how it goes. If it seems like it is ok, they will have me do another sleep test to see what it shows. I'm hopeful to ditch that machine!