Help..motivation to get back on track

Options
shanteel612
shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
I have gained a lot of weight in the last 2 months. I have been eating a lot of junk. I need to stop but there is always junk galore at work. Help me to regain my will power.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are struggling or feeling unmotivated right now.

What are your biggest struggles with the work food? For me it's when it's a social thing (work lunch) when the temptation is to hang out and eat whatever the related dessert is because you are in good conversations. I can see that temptation with the food in the break room too, although I don't have that one so much--I don't like eating standing up, which makes it easier to resist, heh.

My other huge temptation with excellent workplace treats (which have been never-ending lately because of Christmas gifts from various companies we work with) is that they look especially tempting when I'm stressed and bummed about being there later when most people aren't there. I am trying to be better about being conscious about why I want to eat and (especially) having alternative stuff to eat if I feel like eating. I think having alternative snacks is a good approach in general.
  • CumberlandGrammy
    CumberlandGrammy Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Aww, sorry, Shanteel. Excellent and thoughtful advice from Lemurcat. I am similarly struggling with snacking - too many treats available this time of year, and thought I had finally mastered controlling my sweet tooth. Be sure to be kind to yourself through this time of year. And remember you are not alone.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Make yourself LOG IT. That is the best way to keep it controlled, IMO. If you are going to eat it, make a deal with yourself that you will at least log it. Then later you can go back and see exactly what you were eating during this weak time.

Also, I agree with lemurcat that alternative stuff is helpful, like heading for the cheese and meat tray instead of the cookies.

Finally, try chewing gum. That is something I've started this year and really, it helps.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. At work there is always. Candy and soda pop on a regular, lately there is cookies, cake, muffins and pizza quit often. Usually I resist. But the temptation was too great. I am going to take all the great advice and try to do better.thanks
  • CumberlandGrammy
    CumberlandGrammy Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Shanteel. You can do it! And I am going to practice Sodakat's advice in the New Year and get back to logging faithfully.
  • SilverStormi
    SilverStormi Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that has been said. You really need to make yourself log everything. Thats what I did in the beginning and it really helped me make better choices and realize how quickly little things add up. Even if you cant resist I find that seeing what my totals are helps me sometimes pick what im going to have that I couldnt resist and also what I can eat later on that can allow my earlier choice to fit into my daily totals. I have been bad with logging lately and not working out so for the new year I want to log every little thing again every day. You'll be able to lose what you gained