Day 3 post-op

lenac87
lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
Today is day 3 post-op, came home from the hospital last night and it feels good to be home! Still having some pain but nothing too terrible, trying to focus on walking around the house and sipping on water. When I came home last night I measured out half of my premier protein drink to try to get some protein in for dinner and after about 4 ounces I started having cramps and started to feel nauseated so I had to stop. At this point it seems like it will be impossible to fit in all of the protein and water! For breakfast this morning I made a half of a cup of malt-o-meal with a half a scoop of protein powder and got about 1/2 of that down but then just felt full and didn't really want anything to do with it. I guess it'll all be trial and error from this point out to see what works. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mix the nectar protein powders without having them clump? I tried to make some before surgery and it was very clumpy, but if I could get the consistency right it might be easier to get protein in that way because it wouldn't be as thick. Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Welcome home. It is certainly nice to get back to your own bed and home.

It will get better every day for the first few days. Focus on getting down what you can.

For the nectars, I found that if I mix with a small amount of water to make a paste, I could get it to dissolve better. You can mash the clumps easier than when they are floating in a larger volume of liquid. This paste also works better for adding hot liquids and avoiding the clumpiness.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Rob
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    2 things saved me at this point after surgery: Unjury chicken soup protein mix and Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast. I think the soup is terrific. I tolerated the Carnation much better than the protein powder drinks, even though it doesn't have as much protein grams per serving. I bumped up the protein content by using Fairlife skim milk with it. Plus, it isn't very thick. Best wishes. As Rob said, each day gets easier.
  • lenac87
    Thanks guys! Rob-I will try making a paste first, maybe that will help with the nectar. and Lori- I have some of the unjury chicken broth to try too, I had some pre-op and it didn't seem too bad, but things taste a little different now it seems, I will give that a try too!
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Welcome home! Every day will be better than the one before. Just keep working at it, little by little, sip by sip, step by step.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    I know what you mean. My doctor told me to focus on the fluid first and it will get easier over the next 2 weeks. I find with the nectar if I shake it up then let it sit for a bit it is best. It can be a little foamy. Had low carb nonfat Greek yogurt today and then went down ok but I only did 1/4 cup. I'm scared of eating too much.
  • lenac87
    weeziebeth wrote: »
    Welcome home! Every day will be better than the one before. Just keep working at it, little by little, sip by sip, step by step.

Thank you!
  • lenac87
    janet0513 wrote: »
    I know what you mean. My doctor told me to focus on the fluid first and it will get easier over the next 2 weeks. I find with the nectar if I shake it up then let it sit for a bit it is best. It can be a little foamy. Had low carb nonfat Greek yogurt today and then went down ok but I only did 1/4 cup. I'm scared of eating too much.

I've been at about a quarter of a cup of stuff too, haven't tried yogurt yet, but I think after that I'm full because I lose interest in it and have no desire to eat any more. I'm also kind of afraid to eat too much. We can do this :)
  • funfatfriend
    funfatfriend Posts: 57 Member
    Glad you are home. I have no problems with my nectar protein clumping. I add the water first then the protein then stir with a spoon, if I shake it, it foams up. This is the best way for me to get protein in right now,takes all day to drink it but I get it in. only eating about an ounce maybe 2. But each day I feel a little better :)
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Welcome to the other side!
  • lenac87
    Thanks! :)
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Welcome Home. Remember that your tummy will be healing for several weeks and that it takes time to tolerate more foods and reach your protein requirements. I think that getting in enough fluid is key. I did supplement with Diabetic Boost Protein shakes since that was my pre-op diet and I had some leftover. I also use Premier shakes as well.
    Your body has just been through major trauma and has much healing to do.
    Be kind to yourself and try not to pressure yourself to get all your protein in. The Doctors and members of our Bariatric Teams realize that when we are in early recovery, we can't always get it all in. Especially if you are only on Phase 1 or 2 of the food phases. Hang in there. You are doing great. :)
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Ha!
    I wish the staff under my surgeon understood the concept of "being understanding!"
    1 week out and I got a finger shaken at me because I was barely getting 50 of the 70 minimum...I was so devastated that they couldn't see my efforts but instead saw a #.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    I use the nectar = if you mix it, let it sit for a minute or 2, stir it up again, it wont be clumpy. Just had one last night and it was great (I like the cappuccino or strawberry).
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    I used a shaker bottle to make my Nectar drinks for the first 4 days post-op. I didn't have the clumping problem but they were so sweet I could barely get them down. I had a much worse time with the Bariatric Advantage protein shakes that I was supposed to drink for 3 days, they made me want to gag. I went on soft food day 7!
  • lenac87
    JEMP65 wrote: »
    I used a shaker bottle to make my Nectar drinks for the first 4 days post-op. I didn't have the clumping problem but they were so sweet I could barely get them down. I had a much worse time with the Bariatric Advantage protein shakes that I was supposed to drink for 3 days, they made me want to gag. I went on soft food day 7!

Wow! I'm so jealous that you got to go on soft foods by day 7! My dietician is making wait until 2 weeks after surgery to advance to purees and then said I have to stay there for 4 weeks! I know it'll go by quickly though:)
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    I use a shaker bottle for nectar and the clumping isn't bad. Premier shakes aren't allowed un my plan until pureed (week out). I've found I take everything a few days behind. I'm five weeks out and still don't hit protein daily. At my one month post op, they were ok with this and focus on water so you don't dehydrate.

It keeps getting better. Welcome to this side!
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    I found that Nectar is the easiest to mix. That being said, I bought a baby bottle battery operated mixer and it is a miracle product. The best $7.00 I ever spent. I carry one everywhere, even today being 3.5 years post surgery. There are many different brands but here is a link to one. If you google hand held baby bottle mixer you can find many options. Or check out your local baby section at Target, Wal Mart etc

http://www.diapers.com/p/munchkin-formula-mixer-green-18123?noappbanner=true&utm_source=Diapers_SG&utm_medium=PDP_SG&utm_campaign=di-sg-to-mobile&utm_term=beaba bib mixer handheld bottle mixer

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    Ha!
    I wish the staff under my surgeon understood the concept of "being understanding!"
    1 week out and I got a finger shaken at me because I was barely getting 50 of the 70 minimum...I was so devastated that they couldn't see my efforts but instead saw a #.

People that have not had surgery don't understand what it's like. My suggestion is get your liquids first water is more important than protein. Next is the protein in drinkable form having at least five meals a day. Don't hurry to get to the next level, this is actually a short time overall. Your body is going to be in starvation mode, and that is part of the program.
    Food will taste different for some people and you can have some foods that you can't tolerate. My thoughts are week one measure with a tablespoon, week two and three a 1/4 cup
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Yeah, Im already past all that ( about 2 1/2 months out).
    I was only making reference to the quality care Im getting vs how others are going through it...thanks though!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I don't have an issue with the Nectar unless I try adding it to my coffee (3.5 years out now so you have a bit to go before coffee). If adding to hot liquid, I make a paste first (thanks Rob!). At your stage I couldn't stand the shakes, too sweet and too thick. I lived on the Unjury chicken and beef broth. And when I ran out, I made low sodium chicken or beef boulion and added a scoop of unflavored protein powder. At your stage I was told don't worry about counting grams and calories, just get in as much protein as you can and as much water as you can. The other thing you might want to try is Isopure Zero. It's a flavored water with 40+ grams of protein in each bottle. I could actually drink this as it was semi sweet but water, so not thick at all. And it counts towards both protein and water!!
  • lenac87
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with the Nectar unless I try adding it to my coffee (3.5 years out now so you have a bit to go before coffee). If adding to hot liquid, I make a paste first (thanks Rob!). At your stage I couldn't stand the shakes, too sweet and too thick. I lived on the Unjury chicken and beef broth. And when I ran out, I made low sodium chicken or beef boulion and added a scoop of unflavored protein powder. At your stage I was told don't worry about counting grams and calories, just get in as much protein as you can and as much water as you can. The other thing you might want to try is Isopure Zero. It's a flavored water with 40+ grams of protein in each bottle. I could actually drink this as it was semi sweet but water, so not thick at all. And it counts towards both protein and water!!

Thanks ! I've just recently found the isopure zero drinks and they have been helping a ton, and my nectar doesn't seem to be so clumpy anymore as long as I let it sit for a little bit. Thanks for your help! :)