Sync Hell

Options
Do I really have to uninstall the app every time it gets stuck in sync mode? I have had to do this 3 times already. Turning the phone off and on does nothing.

Replies

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    I am sorry you are in sync hell.

We would really appreciate if you provide us with more details to help us track this down. Please let us know the following information:

1- Device model, and Android OS version
    2- Step-by-step of what you did and the problem you saw. (as detailed as possible including exact foods and/or exercises being added/deleted)
    3- Network connection when the problem happens (wifi/cellular/offline), and whether it happens in the middle of switching network connections (leaving or arriving home/office/gym, etc.)
    4- How often does this problem happen? all the time? sometimes? is it consistently reproducible?
  • IamDianna
    IamDianna Posts: 37
    Options
    This had been happening since I first installed MFP over two months ago. Then updated to BETA and it seemed to stop, until today. This is now the 2nd time today I will have to reinstall the app.

Once it just crashed adding a recipe to my diary (Flax and Fennel Crackers). From there I cannot get out of the sync hell.

Just open the app and get the blue screen of "Synchronizing Measurements/Data/Diary Entries" death.

I am on 4.1.2 - Galaxy S2 International Version (not linked to any particular network).

I cannot think of anything else to add. Just seems like I am screwed now.
    Standard WiFi connection, no switching from data to WiFi.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I get that every time but if I press 'back' it goes into the menu screen - have you tried that?
  • suggy62
    suggy62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue - turning wifi off works for me. You'll get a 'cant connect' or similar message and then everything if fine over 3g.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Hey Chop, sorry you are having that issue, I experienced myself before. It's caused by the handshake protocol I believe. I don't know how much you know about navigating your phone settings so I'll try to give you a step by step deal based of my s3 since it's similar.

Method 1

1\ Hold your home button ( the only pressable one in front) for 3 seconds this should take you new screen.
    2\ Touch the "Task manager" button on the buttom left.
    3\ In Task Manager go to downloaded apps and find Myfitnesspal, touch it.
    4\ In this new screen for MFP, you should see a "force stop" button press it.
    5\ Now go back and start MFP.

Method 2

1\ Pull down your top bar, and touch the setting button (gear looking symbol).
    2\ Find the Application Manager and touch it.
    3\ Find MFP and touch it.
    4\ In this new screen for MFP, you should see a "force stop" button press it.
    5\ Now go back and start MFP.

Following these steps should force the app to start a new handshake protocol. let me know if you need more help.
  • IamDianna
    IamDianna Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi - been off sick with a little one and myself, just now getting to check replies!

Yes vtmoon, thank you for that. Unfortunately I have force stopped several times in Task Manager, will try the App Manager next time. When I force stopped it in Task, upon opening it again it just rolls right into the same sync stall at the same place, even after a restart of the phone.

I think I must have tried hitting the back button, hit everything else!

I am going to download the newest Beta from last week, hoping that will help. Luckily I have not had a repeat over the weekend.

I'll try everything. Voodoo anyone?