Squat Stands

Options
Hi all! Happy holidays :-)

I am thinking about getting a squat stand and have found this:
Valor Fitness BD-9 Power Squat Stand on Amazon (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006CW02ZS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB).

It is pretty reasonably priced (with free shipping!), doesn't take up a lot of space, has good reviews, and I can do squats, bench press, and probably pull ups too.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this product? Pros/Cons?? Thanks!

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I used the Valor BD-3 stands until I "out-grew" them (they had a 150lb weight limit). They were decent stands for the price. My only complaint would be that I hated the push-pin adjustment. Mine was always getting misaligned so I'd have to unscrew them, re-align, then re-screw them which was annoying and took time out of my workout. Stands with a J-Hook design are SO much better but will cost you more.

Overall they'll work fine for bench, squats, and OHP. I don't see how you could safely use them for pull ups though.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Hi Leadfoot_Lewis. Thanks for the feedback. I was doubtful of the pull ups too--but did see a 170 lb man using the BD-9. The video is here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=qdwv2kzVmvw

The stand wobbles a bit but holds. I am about 145ish. I'll be very cautious when trying it. I've never done a pull up in my life so I will be following a progression program to get me there. Being able to do a pull up is one of my goals for next year.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Do you need squat stands specifically due to space?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hi Leadfoot_Lewis. Thanks for the feedback. I was doubtful of the pull ups too--but did see a 170 lb man using the BD-9. The video is here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=qdwv2kzVmvw

The stand wobbles a bit but holds. I am about 145ish. I'll be very cautious when trying it. I've never done a pull up in my life so I will be following a progression program to get me there. Being able to do a pull up is one of my goals for next year.

Wow - I guess it is doable. Be careful!

• ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Fittreelol: The stand will go in my unfinished basement. I would love to get a cage but the ceiling height is too low.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    So, I ordered the stands yesterday afternoon. I was bummed because they were supposed to be delivered on January 6th (after my holidays). Lo and behold, they were just delivered this morning at 10:00. I am going to try to get them set up in between all of my holiday baking. I guess Santa came early!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics! :)
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I'm so excited! I just finished my first workout using the squat stands and they are awesome!! I think they will be fine for pullups (when I finally am able to do one :wink: )

Here's a pic of my setup. Please disregard the surrounding mess--our basement is unfinished and more of a storage warehouse come home gym than anything else.1yeondq8g71s.jpg

Happy Holidays everyone!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    oooo Very nice.