Massive Swelling - Exercise or Rest?

Options
sheepotato
sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
Have any of you ladies experienced a large amount of swelling/water retention during your pregnancies? I noticed on Saturday that I was up 6 pounds this week (I knew it was only water weight but it had me worried it was preeclampsia.) Once I got to the doctor yesterday I was up 15 pounds since my last visit. My doctor was worried, she ordered some bloodwork and prepared me for the possibility of needing to have my baby (7 weeks early) today. I have a family risk of preeclampsia (my mother and sister both had it with a few of their pregnancies) but so far swelling is the only thing that sent up any red flags.

I got the call this morning that my lab results were all okay, so now the scare is over. I'm mostly concerned how to minimize swelling for the rest of my pregnancy. She told me to relax (to keep my blood pressure low) and keep my ankles propped up as much as I could. She didn't specific bedrest, she made it a point to say go and enjoy Christmas dinner.

Should I watch my sodium to avoid further water weight? In your experience was it safe to continue exercising? (I meant to ask my doctor yesterday but I was sort of flustered, I have another appointment next week.) I don't know if I should hold off for the rest of the week to be safe or if exercising will help me. If it wasn't the holidays I would just call the office and ask but I think they will be closed until Monday.

I have been lap swimming most days so far, swimming has really helped me keep my blood pressure low so I am tempted to go swimming to help calm down. I don't consider it strenuous but I don't want to exacerbate any complications I may be having. I was going on walks the days I didn't make it to the pool, but I don't think walking around with my ankles swollen like this is a good idea.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I would rest and keep up on fluids. Even though swimming isn't terribly strenuous, you don't want to aggravate anything either. I'd rest and then when your doctor's office is open next call in and ask about exercise.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I had horrible swelling with my first pregnancy towards the end. My labs also always came back normal, although my blood pressure did creep up about halfway through and stay that way. How is your blood pressure? I found that getting up and going for a short walk would almost immediately make my feet/ankles go back to normal. I mostly only had swelling while I was at work, sitting at my desk all day. When I was at home moving around, I didn't have any problems. I really think it was a circulation issue for me. Not saying it's the same for you, but it could be. Maybe try a short, easy walk and see if it makes it worse or better? Or just take it easy till your next appt and ask then?
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure has been normal/low at all my appointments, it was slightly higher on Tuesday but it was still in the safe range. It's always lower at the doctor than on my home machine so I try not to worry if it's slightly up when I check it at home. Swimming has been really helpful with keeping it low, it's been great for my stress level. I was taking a walk on the days I wasn't swimming but I today I was having trouble standing long enough to cook and had to keep sitting to get off my ankles.

I get up intermittently during the day, but I am reluctant to take a long walk in the park this weekend.

I got in a really short swim yesterday it did help me calm down a bit but I woke up feeling awful this morning so I think I will just rest until my appointment on Tuesday after all.

Thank you both!