UP with MFP and mapmyrun

Options
Mary407
Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
Hello! I'm a noob here - just got an UP24 for Chirstmas - and I am having a hard time understanding "who's in charge" in my fitness tracking life. I'd appreciate feedback from those of you with more experience.

I use mapmyrun to log my distance based exercise (hiking, XC skiing, etc.). My mapmyrun and MFP accounts are linked, so when I record a workout using the mapmyrun mobile app, that automatically posts to MFP. But now I wear an UP24 during those same workouts. Thus far, I don't see any double logging happening (e.g., when the mapmyrun mobile app records a 60 minute hike, I do not also get a calorie adjustment from Jawbone showing up on my MFP diary). UP shows that I have a bunch of steps, but no positive calorie adjustments have shown up yet in MFP (though I've had a few days with lengthy distance workouts).

After reading other posts in this group, I have negative calories enabled. I don't want to give up on recording distance based training with the GPS feature of mapmyrun because the split times, etc., are useful for me. Is this OK with the UP24?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.

I would say link MapMyRun to UP rather than to MFP, but I don't see it in the UP app gallery—just MapMyFitness.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have MapMyRun linked to both MFP and Up. It hasn't double-logged calories for me, but I"m keeping an eye out for it, just in case. :)

But I love how all these apps work together.

Good luck!
  • Mary407
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    I have MapMyRun linked to both MFP and Up. It hasn't double-logged calories for me, but I"m keeping an eye out for it, just in case. :)

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response! May I ask you to please let me know how you log some of your workouts? It seems to be working well when I record a workout in MapMyRun. No double logging, and the workout shows up in my feed on MFP. But I'm still a bit unsure about logging other workouts. If I log them in UP there are so few options for types of workouts, but just pick something close. But then the workout does not show up in my MFP feed - it just shows up as a calorie adjustment. Everything is connected - it's not like it fails to recognize the workout logged in UP - but it does not show up as 'x # of minutes doing y exercise' - there's just a calorie adjustment in my diary. Is there a way I can get workouts logged in UP to work in a manner similar to how workouts recorded in MapMyRun post to MFP? This is not a huge issue, of course, but I just find it very motivating to see the actual workouts posting, and it helps me keep track of my specific workout routine.

Thanks!!!
  • Mary407
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.

I would say link MapMyRun to UP rather than to MFP, but I don't see it in the UP app gallery—just MapMyFitness.

That's a great idea - thanks for your suggestion. I think MapMyFitness is just the catch all for all the MayMy... apps. I will check this out. Many thanks - I really appreciate your feedback!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Mary407 wrote: »
    davis_em wrote: »

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response! May I ask you to please let me know how you log some of your workouts? It seems to be working well when I record a workout in MapMyRun. No double logging, and the workout shows up in my feed on MFP. But I'm still a bit unsure about logging other workouts. If I log them in UP there are so few options for types of workouts, but just pick something close. But then the workout does not show up in my MFP feed - it just shows up as a calorie adjustment. Everything is connected - it's not like it fails to recognize the workout logged in UP - but it does not show up as 'x # of minutes doing y exercise' - there's just a calorie adjustment in my diary. Is there a way I can get workouts logged in UP to work in a manner similar to how workouts recorded in MapMyRun post to MFP? This is not a huge issue, of course, but I just find it very motivating to see the actual workouts posting, and it helps me keep track of my specific workout routine.

Thanks!!!

I usually log ALL my workouts with Up, which then figures the calories for me, but I don't get the additional 'boost' of having my workouts announced on my feed. You could always post about your workout - or 'fake' the workout posts. :) No one would know the difference. :flowerforyou: I haven't been using map my run long enough to have figured out if all workouts can be logged there or not, but if so, maybe you can log them in that app, which will sync with both the others you're using, while also posting on the MFP newsfeed?
  • Mary407
    Options
    Thanks to you all for the great feedback and information!!!