Challenge: how many marathons in January?

Options
rebolaugh
rebolaugh Posts: 125 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
Hi LGBT folks! I'm setting a challenge for myself, and I'm wondering if anyone would like to join me. Starting January 1st, I'm going to track my "miles" of exercise and aim for a total of at least two marathons (52.4 miles) of activity during the month.

Here are the rules:
No one activity can count for more than 5 miles of each marathon.
Strength training: 1 mile = 20 minutes of active training
Fitness classes can count towards miles depending on their length and intensity. So a 30 minute, gentle hatha yoga class might only count as 1 mile; a 60-minute Zumba class would maybe count as 3.
Other activities (shoveling snow? Workout DVDs at home?) you are welcome to add and count as how many "miles" seems appropriate.

The point of this challenge is to try and incorporate different types of exercises into your routine. I know I tend to get in an elliptical machine rut, so it's good to get out of my comfort zone.

An example of reaching the 26.2 miles would be to accomplish something like:
5 miles jogging outdoors
4 miles elliptical machine
4 miles stationary bike
4 miles walking uphill on a treadmill
3 miles (60 minute Zumba class)
2 miles (40 minutes) strength training
2 miles rowing (erg)
1.2 mile stair climber
1 mile swimming

Once you've reached the "marathon" miles, start again! See if you can get at least 1 marathon or maybe 2 marathons (or more!) by the end of the month. Log your activities and track your miles here. I'll be doing this here. I know this is a pretty quiet group, but maybe this would be a fun challenge to try here.

Happy New Year's all!

Replies

• rebolaugh
    Options
    No takers, huh? That's okay, I'll be keeping track of my miles and will check back here once my first marathon is done. If anyone else wants to join in the challenge, you are welcome!!
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i might take you up on this. i think i could easily do it. my only hesitation is actually paying attention to my distances at the gym xD

is it just a post at the end of the month with your numbers kind of thing?
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Aww... I have a very simple spin bike without a computer.

Though I DO have to get on the damned thing.
    Er... need a new bike helmet :open_mouth:
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    i might take you up on this. i think i could easily do it. my only hesitation is actually paying attention to my distances at the gym xD

is it just a post at the end of the month with your numbers kind of thing?

Cool! Yeah, I plan to check back in after the completion of my first "marathon." For me, the purpose is to put some variety into my workouts and push myself to get those miles in. Of course you can modify this challenge in a way that will make sense for you!
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'd like to join but my exercise goals don't really fit with your system. I'm planning just to run that distance or there abouts over the course of the month. Could do with the group motivation though so if that's allowed I'll just track my kms.

So far I've just been for one run - 5.8km
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    electriq wrote: »
    Hmm, I'd like to join but my exercise goals don't really fit with your system. I'm planning just to run that distance or there abouts over the course of the month. Could do with the group motivation though so if that's allowed I'll just track my kms.

So far I've just been for one run - 5.8km

Sounds good! We'll keep you accountable!
  • ThePinkPanda
    Options
    i realized a fatal flaw on my part: i SUCK at tracking my distances when i'm in a zone xD also- all of my exercise comes from four major sources (running, walking, weight lifting, cardio machines) so... i'd pretty much be out after the first marathon. ah well.

i think i'm at:

running: 7.5 miles
    walking: 4 miles
    weight lifting: 10 miles?
    elliptical: 7.5 miles
    arc trainer: 7.5 miles

which technically equals my first marathon but i'm way over your limit for like, weight training and stuff. plus my cardio are just estimates. i usually do about 1.5 miles per machine.
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome! I've reached a marathon in terms of miles, but because I'm sticking to my "no more than 5 miles per activity" rule, I still need 6 more miles, which I'm hoping to complete this week. But since I've reached my maximum miles for my normal activities (stationary bike, elliptical, treadmill, walking outdoors), I have to get more creative.

I see you use the arc trainer a lot, I'm planning to do that at the gym tomorrow. Also some rowing, which is great exercise but (to me) so boring!
  • ThePinkPanda
    Options
    ah i hear the boring bit. i tend to pop in some headphones and zone into that while yelling/encouraging myself (in my head) along the way. or if i get a good spot, i watch the travel channel or hgtv xD that seems to help for me, except running. i can't focus on tv while i run; that takes every ounce of concentration i have.
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    1st marathon completed!

stationary bike: 5 miles
    treadmill: 5 miles
    walking outdoors: 5 miles
    elliptical: 4.2 miles
    strength training (20 min. = 1 mile) = 4 miles
    arc trainer: 2 miles
    rowing (1609 meters = 1mile) = 1 mile
    total: 26.2 miles

I am going to try to do a 2nd "marathon" before the end of the month. It may be tricky because I'm going out of town for this long weekend, so I'll have less than half the month to complete it. But I guess that's why it's called a "challenge," right?
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    I'm still trying to finish my second "marathon" this month. I was out of town for a few days and then was sick, so the second half of this month has been tricky. I did hit the gym this morning and did 3 miles on the elliptical, 1 mile of rowing and 1/2 mile on the treadmill. I still need 8.7 miles to complete the second marathon before the end of the month. I'm going to try!
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    Just under the radar, I have my 2nd "marathon" completed for the month of January. To get to this one, I did:
    walking outside: 5 miles
    stationary bike: 5 miles
    elliptical: 5 miles
    treadmill: 3.2 miles
    rowing: 3 miles
    strength training: 3 miles
    yoga classes: 2 miles

I do like to do this challenge on occasion because it makes me break out of my routine and use equipment I don't often use. I used the arc trainer to get in the last few miles during my first marathon this month and this time around, I used the rowing machine to get in a few miles. Both activities I rarely think to do on my own.

Good luck to everyone on their fitness goals!