Advice on setting my goals

Options
llfretwell
llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
I am curious as to what SL goals would be challenging for me, yet achievable at the same time. My husband told me that we can set some sort of goal together for myself, then when/if I reach that goal, he has agreed to get me the tattoo that I've been ACHING to get for a very long time. I really want to choose a goal that will be something to work towards, though, as I am very serious about changing my body also.

I don't want to have a lower body fat % goal, because I feel like I'm so inaccurate when I use the calipers. A weight loss goal is obviously something that isn't proof of progress either. I was hoping to set some measurement goals. I am just unsure of how to set those. I have no idea how quickly inches are lost and what would be achievable for me as a goal. I am "skinnyfat", so I'm looking forward to losing fat and toning also.

Any advice??

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My advice? Go and get that tattoo today.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For me, the lifting is really all about strength goals. Your body will do whatever it does (it will change, but as you've mentioned the scale isn't the best tool to measure change), and it will probably do it slowly, so why not make a goal of squatting a certain weight or bench press a certain weight? It'll give you something to work for and will make you feel like badass when you reach it! :)
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks katro! I was thinking about doing that also :)

Logg1e...lol...why do you say that?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »
    My advice? Go and get that tattoo today.

:D

i agree with katro too though. strength is more measurable than any of the other options, and more concrete too. i've given up caring about measurements (weight maybe not quite so much), because mine don't seemed to have changed very significantly since the summer no matter where i am in my ten-pound window of variation.

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    :) Because otherwise you risk giving your husband the impression that he gets to tell you when you can do something with your body. That would be crazy.

I would set targets to do with making the gym 10 times a month and/or lifting a certain weight by a certain time (easier to judge once you've tried for the first time!).

Oh, and take Before photos. I didn't take a Before photo for my weight loss and I wish I had. I took them for my strength training and can already see differences.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Ditto on strength goals over aesthetics. I look and feel better as a result of lifting but my main goals are strength-related and it's been healthier for me to have this outlook. When I exercised to get a certain waist measurement, scale number, or pants size, I got frustrated when I didn't reach it quickly, wasn't very satisfied once I got there, and started fixating on it. Also, once I reached the goal, I wasn't as excited about working out and eating right. When I exercise to reach ability-based goals, I am less likely to get discouraged by setbacks, I start to enjoy the workouts I'm doing, I am more apt to make dietary changes to meet goals without worrying about my scale, and I'm setting myself up for lifelong health.

Also ditto on getting the tattoo you want regardless. You can use it as a marker of you changing your life for the better rather than a kudos for dropping some weight.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I agree with the strength goals. Though would advise that you don't do a "well, I'll add 15 lbs. a week to my squats, so I should be at X by Y date." Factor in the stalls and deloads and set a reasonable, attainable goal.

As for calipers, they are hard to do accurately, but if you don't care as much about the actual, accurate percentage and just use them as a way to compare month to month, they can be helpful.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    As for calipers, they are hard to do accurately, but if you don't care as much about the actual, accurate percentage and just use them as a way to compare month to month, they can be helpful.

is that the scientific form of me going around grabbing handfuls of excess me and going 'oooo look - i can hardly do that right here anymore' ?

calipers, pfeh. i'm old school, me. where i come from we use calipers to measure our goats.

/don't listen to me; i'm giddy.