Fitbit users?

Options
tress29
tress29 Posts: 614 Member
I thought several of you in our group used a Fitbit. Do you find they are accurate? What activities are you doing? I mostly walk and ride my bike but occasionally use a DVD. How do you track exercise from an aerobics-type class? Or lifting weights?

Trying to motivate myself to be more active and more accurate in my reporting. Just wondering what works for you?

Replies

• MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    My flex is very accurate.( i wear it on my ankle) I just let it do its thing and at the end of the day i see what i have done. I walk and at work i am on my feet. If i am falling short i will walk in place while i watch TV. Some of the active minutes can be tweaked to fit in activities that may double your output otherwise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I was logging exercise I found it was very accurate. If you looked at its estimate of my overall calories (taken from MFP) and my burn, the deficit tended to match up closely with what I actually lost that month.

I tend to log exercise classes or DVD type stuff with light weights or mixes of weights and cardio as circuit training, and just weights (no cardio element) as strength training with the entries on MFP. I tended to leave the values, although I usually tried not to eat all the extra calories back, but Fitbit eventually convinced me that I could eat most of them. (When I was using my Fitbit to track like this I mostly was walking, running, and biking, though.)

The key is that when you use a Fitbit and log your exercise (which I logged in MFP, not the Fitbit), you have to put in the times accurately, and then the Fitbit won't double count things.

I'd try it for a month and then compare its estimates with your results.
  • SilverStormi
    SilverStormi Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I loved my zip and found it to be accurate. I just cliped it to my bra strap and didnt have to worry about it. Unfortunatly it broke and I still need to get a new one. I just cant decide if I want another zip (doesnt track stairs or sleep but I love that its battery operated and that lasts like 6 months) or the one (which tracks everything but I would need to remember to charge)