confess your gym gaffes . . .

Options

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    What you did is fine. I would have told person C of my covenant with B, letting C work in if s/he wanted. If person B were nearby, I'd have pointed B out to C.

However, I find that simple communication is often difficult in the gym with noises, headphones, people not staying put and listening for longer than a few seconds, delicate etiquette rules, I'm awkward, etc. So it probably would have gone more like this:

B: Is anyone waiting for this after you?
    Me: No, you can have it when I'm done. Wait, do you want to work in? Uh, never mind you already left and I'm talking to myself.
    C: Can I work in with you?
    Me: Um I told some guy he could have it after but you can work in but I'm almost done and then that guy will be back.
    C: :|
    Me: OK here you go!
    B: Hey! :o
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    So I went to a yoga class last night. It was a basic course and I was looking forward to stretching and getting a mild workout in. I show up and it's a different teacher than usual.

Well, to my dismay, the class consisted of very little yoga and a lot of chanting. At one point we got into triangle pose which was uncomfortable because I wasn't warmed up. I was struggling to hold the posture during a particularly long chant; so much so, that a chant escaped from below.

This is my BIGGEST fear of yoga class! I haven't taken a class in years, but OMG, I can totally see this happening to me!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My very first SL day the power cage ( which I thought was the squat rack, didn't know the difference) was loaded with at least 135lbs on each side of the bar, maybe more, I cant remember. BUT...I wasn't thinking that you need to take plates off each side one at a time, so I ended up climbing through the rack to try and stop the bar from flying off the hooks and instead took 135lbs of plates on my thighs as to not make a ruckus for all to hear!
    I was bruised for weeks, but I have NEVER made that mistake again.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    This is my BIGGEST fear of yoga class! I haven't taken a class in years, but OMG, I can totally see this happening to me!

i got totally trapped that way yesterday in the tiny crowded gym. surrounded by young macho men with another tough-enough squat set to do, and no way of marking my ownership of the rack while i left the room for a quick, um, preparation.

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options

i got totally trapped that way yesterday in the tiny crowded gym. surrounded by young macho men with another tough-enough squat set to do, and no way of marking my ownership of the rack while i left the room for a quick, um, preparation.

Everybody does it :mrgreen: Last year a woman nearly gassed me out of a class (worse because it was hot yoga) so I figure I'm just paying it forward!

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    My very first SL day the power cage ( which I thought was the squat rack, didn't know the difference) was loaded with at least 135lbs on each side of the bar, maybe more, I cant remember. BUT...I wasn't thinking that you need to take plates off each side one at a time, so I ended up climbing through the rack to try and stop the bar from flying off the hooks and instead took 135lbs of plates on my thighs as to not make a ruckus for all to hear!
    I was bruised for weeks, but I have NEVER made that mistake again.

Oh my, that's good! I guess I never really thought about that until I was reading about SL on its website and it said that in order to tell if a bar is an Olympic bar, put a 45-lb plate on one side and if it doesn't tip, it's an Olympic bar. I thought, oh yeah, 45-lb bar won't tip holding a 45-lb plate which made me realize that it will tip if there's more weight on one side.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    This is mostly a struggling in communication but we'll call it part my bad cause I had no idea what this one lady was doing or what she meant when she tried to communicate something.

Coworker's gym is really small. Section for cardio, room off to side for some classes, weight area and a little spot for foam rolling and other stuff. We go to the spot off to the side from the weights to warm up because I do wall pushups, squats and foam roll. The area has little mats for such, the rollers, a scale, exercise ball and such. Next to it is a small amount of space then a row of weight machines.

Lady was standing in the small walk space between machines and side area. She moved a lot but in one place. Doing a type of fighting dance thing (involved punches and such) which was interesting. However, I needed to get around her to where I needed to go do things. When I made a move to the area she paused and said something about the mat and hers, so I figured it was just a way to say "I'm using this." So, I said okay that I'm not going there and I just need to get over to the other section of that area. But she was in the walkway so I had to step on the very large mat (my stride isn't big enough to get over a double section of mat). Not long after she used a spray bottle to clean it off because I had stepped on it. I think she cleaned it off several times though, before each time she had to use it again.

I felt a little bad after because clearly she was doing something and there are factors she deems important for the routine but I couldn't tell what was going on and needed to get past. So, oops if I really disrupted her flow.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Tae bo? Lol.

I was trying to leave one of the weight rooms the other day but some trainer was standing in the doorway and his pupil was doing weighted lunges with a fixed barbell coming towards him, further blocking the doorway and walkway outside of it. I ended up sneaking around them which probably wasn't the best manners on my part but hey, don't exercise in a doorway.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Nah, I've seen those videos, this was more of a dance fighting thing. And later she did some tai chi.

Yeah, doorway is not the place to work out. tsk on them.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    specially if you're going to be neurotic about other people's feet. don't want people to walk on your mat? take your damn mat someplace where people don't walk.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Plus, it's kind of impossible to be a germaphobe in a gym where it's extremely germy and gross. Just don't put your hands in your mouth and wash your hands and any equipment you brought in after.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I also forgot to mention, when putting back the bar I'd used for the row (I took one from the bench cause no one was there. I put my knee on the bench and leaned to put the bar on the proper spot but... my knee didn't stay on the bed. It slid off the side and I landed on the bench but luckily the bar landed in its proper spot. Minor lol with coworker and glad not many people where there as I nearly biffed it big time.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    When I was first dating my wife, she tried to convince me to join her for a yoga class. I explained that I wasn't very flexible, but the relationship was new and I wanted to impress her, so I agreed to try a class.

I kept up ok for the first bit, and then everyone was supposed to do this sort of headstand thing where you rolled onto your shoulders with your legs in the air. I don't bend that way, and the instructor tried to help. She grabbed my legs and attempted to straighten my form, and it hurt, so without thinking, in a dead silent yoga class, I yelled out "JESUS CHRIST F--K!"

The instructor told me I might be better off practicing in the corner.

On the upside, I realized if I hadn't scared off my girlfriend by then, she was probably a keeper. :)
  • canadianlbs
    Options

this is the kind of thing that's going to stay with me for the rest of my life, and keep on making me laugh every time i dive into the database and bring it back out.

• TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting to bring flip flops for the gym showers. I've been lucky enough to avoid getting some sort of fungus so far, but luck never lasts forever, and it'll be my own damn fault.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    TheMOC wrote: »
    I keep forgetting to bring flip flops for the gym showers.

heh. when i got my first job at a real bike-commute distance, i started taking showers there. beautiful very-corporate place, with individual rooms to do your washing and dressing in, and a row of personal lockers and tastefully-coloured decor . . . like a hotel washroom. and just about the first thing i got there was some version of athlete's foot that it took me months to shake off. that learned me.

i got tipped off about apple cider vinegar as a fungus-killer, and (touch wood) it works. probably any kind of vinegar would do it actually, or even lemon juice or something. i keep painting myself between the toes with it and i guess my shoes smell funny, but at least i don't itch.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    When I was first dating my wife, she tried to convince me to join her for a yoga class. I explained that I wasn't very flexible, but the relationship was new and I wanted to impress her, so I agreed to try a class.

I kept up ok for the first bit, and then everyone was supposed to do this sort of headstand thing where you rolled onto your shoulders with your legs in the air. I don't bend that way, and the instructor tried to help. She grabbed my legs and attempted to straighten my form, and it hurt, so without thinking, in a dead silent yoga class, I yelled out "JESUS CHRIST F--K!"

On the upside, I realized if I hadn't scared off my girlfriend by then, she was probably a keeper. :)

I love yoga gaffes but I sympathize with you on this one. Shoulder stand is a tough move for a beginner and the instructor had no business forcing you into it. She could have seriously hurt your neck. So, I think you were right to "pray" audibly and she should be banished to a corner.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Shoulder stand is a tough move for a beginner and the instructor had no business forcing you into it. She could have seriously hurt your neck. So, I think you were right to "pray" audibly and she should be banished to a corner.

completely agree. not to mention, i think you probably did humanity a big service there, because i'm betting she'll never lay uninvited hands on another person after that one.

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    TheMOC wrote: »
    I keep forgetting to bring flip flops for the gym showers. I've been lucky enough to avoid getting some sort of fungus so far, but luck never lasts forever, and it'll be my own damn fault.

I had to shower bare foot once at the gym in college because I forgot to bring my shoes and I was so grossed out I went and bought like 5 pairs of $2 flip flops from Old Navy so I can keep one in the locker at all times. Since I can't have a locker at the gym now, I keep a pair in my car. Comes in handy for the shower or just when I don't want to hear heels anymore... I also learned to just never take the pair in my gym bag out.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I forgot the basic laws of physics last nite. By myself in the gym, squat rack in use. Needed to do Pendlay rows to finish my workout. I took the bench bar (not my fave, too small a diameter and the knurls hurt) and put it on the curl bench pegs. Was chatting with another gym rat about the superbowl, and proceeded to load a couple 10# plates on the bar---- on one end. Ka-bam! Bar tips, plates on floor. The 2 guys in the region rushed over to help me pick up the "mess". Totally embarrassed.... :blush: