Back at this for as long as my body will allow...

Options
zoom2
zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
After breaking my wrist mountain biking just over 2 years ago I embraced Keto/Atkins while I was recovering and attempted to stick with it once I was cleared to return to running and biking indoors on the trainer. I had been a dedicated keto/Atkins eater for a few years before taking up running, so I was happy to cut the carbs, again (over a decade ago I dropped 60#s on low carbs...regained about half when I fell off the wagon, in spite of years of avid running and cycling)

I only made it a week or two before persistent nausea during my workouts (and only during my workouts) became a deal-breaker. I suspect that part of my issues could have been due to the pain meds I was still taking for my wrist once the cast came off. I've done 2 workouts since cutting to keto-level carbs and last night peeing on a ketostick confirmed that I am indeed in ketosis. Yesterday's 4 mile run was great. One of my better runs in recent months.

I'm noticing a drastic reduction in IBS symptoms, as well. I had been chalking my symptoms up to a symptom of stress (in <2 years we've moved, my 12 year old nephew was diagnosed with a brain stem tumor and subsequently died, and this past Fall my dad was diagnosed with state 4 colon cancer and passed just prior to Thanksgiving. We also had 2 old kitties pass away. A rough stretch, for certain), but now I suspect that I may have some wheat intolerances. I'm confirmed allergic to no less than 10 things, including grass, in general...and wheat is a grass.

Replies

• awh143fe
    awh143fe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am curious if you are still Keto/Atkins and how you are doing now?

I have been keto adapted for 76 days. I am a 63 year old endurance runner that was diagnosed as pre-diabetic in 2012. I was shocked because I have been thin my entire life and have been running for over 40 years.

I used to eat mostly carbs and tried to avoid fat as much as possible. Since the pre-diabetic diagnosis I have been holding my own by cutting my carbs. I am trying a keto diet to see if it will drop my A1C to a level below "pre-diabetic".