January book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
Welcome to the new year! I'm still working on The Memory Keeper's Daughter - about 30% finished. It's a good read. Would you like to take another look at the other 3 books I mentioned last month:
- The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
- Life after Life by Kate Atkinson
- Life after Life by Jill McCorkle

I've also heard about a couple of non-fiction books that might be good (emphasis on might), if you prefer that genre. They are:
- The Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Galloway
- The Energy Bus by Jon Gordon

Replies

• lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I dont prefer the non fiction but I am a tennis player
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    so you decide
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to the Diamondettes. I don't play tennis but it is my favorite sport to watch. I, also, prefer a fiction read. I received as a gift the book Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, if anyone is interested in a different sort of read. Of the three suggestions, Life after Life by Jill McCorkle is the one I have not read. The Memory Keepers Daughter was made into a TV movie with Dermot Mulroney.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hi all, I'm not much into non-fiction either, so let's stick with fiction.

Hi M, nice to see you back. I hope you're doing better. It sounds like you have a new series to start with the Outlander books. Are you caught up with Claire and Russ? I noticed the most recent book, Through the Evil Days, is already on sale used for $1.65 so I wonder if it's not so good. I just finished One was a Soldier.

So, we have to decide whether to read historical fiction set in Scotland, or a stand-alone book set in a southern town's residential care home where folks share some of life's profound discoveries.

I'll toss a coin - if it's heads, we'll read Life and Life and if it's tails, we'll read Outlander.

(tossing coin - I'm really doing this)

And it's TAILS

Le't try Outlander. I'm ordering it now.

• steppingstones
    Options
    Thanks, Mary. I am home to begin life - in my new normal...I like your phrase. Was wrapped in a cocoon of love by family and friends during the Holidays. So here I go!

I am interested to read this book, it not something I would usually choose. But a gift from a Scottish person makes it sound promising. She said, the TV series based on the books is also very good.

We are caught up with each other in the Clare/ Russ saga. I have ordered Through the Evil Days. I guess it is the last published one. The last one almost felt like an ending...they married and are having a baby. Let you know when I read it and will send some comments.

So we are off on a wee trip where we will be hurled back in time. Thanks for tossing the coin to get us to our January read.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Through the Evil Days, I think, is set during the winter and I like her winter books better than her spring/summer books, for some reason. I guess winter seems darker and more mysterious to me. And there's something about snow that I miss, even though I don't want to live in it again. I hope they get the veteran's stuff resolved by winter, even though I realize in real life it takes much longer. My ex was still having nightmares 10 years after coming back. I guess it makes me uncomfortable to read about it.

I'm jazzed about Outlander because I love historical fiction. I became hooked on reading after diving into historical fiction in high school. And time travel books are high on my list of favored reading. I'm expecting the book in about a week.

Speaking of snow, L - did you get snow this week in Jacksonville?

M
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Yes there were snow flurries. My son said he thought there was dandruff falling off his head as he was walking into work but then realized it was snow! He doesnt have dandruff anyway. So I will look for the Outlander book.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I haven't received my book yet, has anyone started it?

I'm wondering if we should get ideas for February so we can all get the book by Feb 1.

Any ideas for a good book?
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Good idea!! I have do have the book but got hooked into reading Through the Evil Days and will probably not start Outlander for another week. I would like to suggest we go back to Lenore's past suggestion of Goldfinch as the next read.

How are you all doing with seeing current movies? I saw Grand Budapest Hotel, 100 ft Journey and Wild. All good experiences although the first was kind of wacky. M
  • mabug01
    Options
    Goldfinch is fine by me.

I stopped going to movies, but of course I would love to see Wild, since we read the book. Someday I'll get caught up on all these great movies that have been released over the past year.

• mabug01
    Options
    I received Outlander today; going to start it tonight.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Me too. Finished the Spencer- Fleming book. Definitely left some personal questions open but the mystery was solved.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I havent recieved the Outlander book yet. Been dealing with the death of my iive in male friend. He overdosed on drugs while visiting his family in Maryland. I am devastated to say the least. It happened on the night before my birthday Jan 17 and I wont be celebrating my birthday this year. I am sooooooooooooooo down..............dont know how I will go on with tears falling out of my face all the time. Guess I will eventually hit a new normal. I dont know.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Dear Lenore,
    I am so sorry for you sadness. All I can say is cry, scream, be sad. It is best to let your emotions out. When my husband passed away in November, I never thought the tears would stop. Your mind and heart will get to that new normal but do be kind to yourself. Try to be with good friends. Sending a warm hug your way. M
  • mabug01
    Options
    Lenore, I'm sorry to hear about your friends untimely death. It's such a shock when this happens. I remember how much it meant to you to have his help and I'm sorry he can't be there now.

Mady, Your husband's passing is very sad and you are so strong to fight your way through it. I'm so sorry I haven't expressed my condolences earlier than this.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Thanks all..... its been a rough 10 days but I am recuperating a little. Mady my condolences to you too. Thanks for the hug; hugs back and I actually went looking for the book today but I am having trouble concentrating.
  • mabug01
    Options
    L - I'm so glad you are feeling a bit better. Although I have the book, I've not started it. I'm distracted by some personal challenges. It may be a lovely idea to keep this book as our February read, too.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Hi there. Thanks to you both. And I, too, am the epitome of distraction and lack of concentration. Have lots of details still pending that occupy my time. I have the book but not started it either. I like the idea of making it our February read. Actually we can just make it our current read and when we three (don't seem to be others) are done we can select the next book.

Thinking of you both and sending good thoughts.M
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Ok that sounds good.