Hunger

Options
mymodernbabylon
mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
I've spent the last few months figuring out my TDEE but haven't been able to lift more than 2x a week until recently, which meant that I wasn't able to really move up in weights and wasn't feeling particularly hard worked. I've now gotten to the point where I'm doing Stronglifts 3x a week and at a challenging level (for me). I've decided to do a small 10% deficit to cut some body fat and I'm super hungry. Has anyone else found that when the lifting becomes harder that you became hungrier? I don't think the small deficit is making me hungry as I've eaten at this level in the not too distant past and been fine.

Replies

• MistyinTN
    MistyinTN Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. Ever since I started lifting I seem to be ravenous and I need to lose about 15 pounds.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It probably has to do with your body repairing itself. It may seem insignificant, but it does take calories post-workout to repair your muscles (especially after heavy lifting).

If I were you, I'd add in some more calories (like 100-200 dense calories) and track your weight for 2-4 weeks to see what your weight does. You may be able to get away with eating more when you're working out more often/lifting heavier. I know that I can eat a ton more food when I'm lifting and running than when I'm just running, yet I still see weight and composition changes with the higher calories.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think I will keep with my calorie goals for now but spread them out through the day more and have something immediately after my lifting sessions. If I keep being hungry and I lose more than the .5 per week, I'll add. Actually, even if I don't lose weight, I might add a bit.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I'm eating at a small deficit but I can stave off hunger if I eat an hour or two before lifting. More than that and I get very hungry. I prefer to lift in the evenings so this is doable. Another possibility is to eat more on lifting days and adjust on non-lifting days to keep your deficit.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    deadlifts in particular. they can really make a zombie famine of me. i try to get home and go for a protein shake after most days when i lift.

they do say that it's good to eat something fairly carb-rich within a few hours at most after heavy lifting. it helps with energy replenishment and also (probably) something else i forget. i know i've been reading forever about chocolate milk being the perfect answer, even back in my old bike-commute days among all the hardcore roadies. for myself, i don't like the pre-mixed stuff but i keep meaning to go buy a can of something with a bit of a vitamin kick to it, like ovaltine or horlicks or milo powder.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    You are definitely not alone in this. Upping my protein has helped a lot for me. I also eat about 90 minutes before lifting and grab something with carbs and protein after. And I definitely agree that you can eat more than you might think when you lift heavy, so watching your cals for a few weeks and adjusting is also great advice.