Life After Death Note (Major Spoiler Alert)

Options
MagJam2004
MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
There I was, sitting on the couch next to my wife. I was scrolling through Netflix when my wife said, "Go back one? Let's try that." Shortly thereafter, my life changed.

Let me say simply, the show was incredible. So many things done so well, it reminded me a lot of how I felt when I watched Champloo for the first time. Visual and musical elements all lending themselves to building the mood and overall feel. I loved it.

But part of me hated it.

The part that had trouble sleeping. The part that was constantly in knots, wondering if this would be the episode where L caught Light. Or would this be the episode where Light finally gets rid of L. Was anyone really dead? Maybe the Death Note kills you as soon as you first write in it and all the rest is a sick manifestation brought about by the gods of death? Too many restless nights, and too much invested emotion. The episode where L and Light are out talking in the rain. When L is drying Light's feet...my heart hurt watching the scene of betrayal. By the end of the next episode, my heart didn't hurt anymore, it simply broke.

So here I am. The show is over. 37 episodes split over a couple weeks and all I feel is a deep resonating sadness. Not sad that the show is over. The story was told, and I'm glad that show had an ending. But when we got to the end I thought I'd be happier that justice prevailed. That one man is indeed made accountable for his deeds. That deceit and betrayal, that lies and self serving preservation, profited him nothing. But the humanization, the ultimate despair and helplessness that he felt there at the end, left me feeling horrible. Dirty. Matsuda's tears were my tears. Now that the show is over, I almost feel like I need to watch some Nick Jr or something to off set the drama. I don't know what to do. I can't just jump into another anime. I'm not sure that I can handle it right now. My wife offered to watch Sekirei with me again to take my mind off it, but honestly if Minato goes into one of his emotion filled rants, it might just send me over the edge and the next thing I know I'll be screaming at the TV that it's okay, it'll all be alright. Does anyone remember the end of Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom? The end, all the way through the credits of the last episode. Yeah, I feel like that.

No real questions or anything, just felt like sharing. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love/hate that anime has that effect on us.

Did you watch the sub or the dub?
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    It was the dub. I'd watch the subbed version, but that would mean Crunchyroll and those damn commercials kill the immersion.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    So you got some Brad Swaile. Nicest voice actor in history, and the reason I'm into anime. <3
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    Rock from Black Lagoon... All the pieces are starting to fall together. I can hear it in my head now so clearly when I think about it, but hadn't put the two together until now. Just one more thing to love about both shows.