Running my first half in 10 days!!!

Options
ninav1980
ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
So very excited thought I would share with fellow running enthusiasts!

I also wanted to take a quick poll on how much I should run from now until race day, Jan 18. My last long run was this past Sunday at 11 miles. I am going to taper down now. I was planning on running 5 tonight (Jan 7), 9 miles on Saturday, (Jan 10) and another 5 miles Wednesday, (Jan 14, this being my final run before race day which is Jan 18th) Is this too much? An experienced runner friend of mine said I shouldnt be running 9 this weekend, more like 5, while another experienced runner told me to run 12 miles. Ahhh. Thoughts?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with running 9 this weekend.
    I wouldn't take three entire days off prior to the race. I few easy miles the day before or two days before would be beneficial.

Other than that, I think you're good!
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You should be fine with 9 this weekend. I agree with pp and would do 2-3 very easy miles on Friday before the race. Just enough to get your legs loosened up.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good advice from both. Do nine miles the weekend before, and then a short run (2-3 easy miles with a few strides up to race pace but not faster) on the morning before the race. And make sure you don't catch a cold! Only if work keeps you from running on Friday morning, I probably would rather not run at all on Friday than running in the evening before the race. All this will probably not really make a difference to your performance anyway, but after all the training, not doing anything for almost a week can feel mentally tough, so it's good to loosen your legs a bit.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your race. Try to avoid starting out too fast.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    9 should be fine. Personally I usually do 8-10 the weekend before, 3-4 on the Tuesday, and 3-4 on the Thursday. For me two days of rest prior seems to work out best. But I'm far from an expert on the matter.

Good luck! And have fun!!!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice friends! I will stick with 9 this weekend and then 5 on wednesday and another short 3 mile run Friday. That will give me Saturday to rest and then Sunday is race day!!

oh... and my running group is probably gonna do something Monday, so I will join them for whatever they have planned. Shouldnt be too crazy since most in the group are also running the half or full the same weekend.