Taking the plates off the bar after deadlifting

Options
ephiemarie
ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
I suck at it and am convinced there must be some secret way to make it easier. The plates have bumpers, and I spend far too much time awkwardly wriggling them off the bar when I'm done. It's a terrible angle for my lower back, and I'm certain I look like an idiot as I go back and forth between each end of the bar wiggling the plates inch by inch. I've tried straddling the bar and squeezing it between my knees to get the plate off the floor enough to slide it off the bar, but that didn't work. What am I missing?

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this too. I also do the awkward wiggle to unload the bar and I hope that there is a better way to go about it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Once you're done stripping one side you can stand the barbell up on end and remove it from the other side. So effectively you're only wiggling the plates off of one side of the bar. The opposite side basically ends up in a stack on the floor once you remove the bar. Take the clips off first.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I have NO idea why this video is 3 minutes long, so fast forward to 1:10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub32EQNkEt0

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    speaking of klutz. i never ever do seem to learn that it's NOT smart to try and grip the bar between my knees, landmine style, so that i can use both hands and both arms to pull that first plate upwards without all the wiggling. that first part of it kind of works, is the trouble. that's why i keep doing it. but then i get stranded with the bar pinned by my knees and my hands full of 45 pounds, and i'm stuck. i also need to stop with this mental habit of thinking 'oh, i'll just let it drop and stop the noise with my foot.' there's cavalier with your body and then there's metatarsal fracture.

in less-stupid terms, i think i've found the easiest thing for me is to unclip one side, go pick up the opposite side and DRAG the damned bar free of the plate that's unclipped. i should probably just watch crabada's helpful video clip.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    I have NO idea why this video is 3 minutes long

silly. so he can show us himself deadlifting monster numbers of plates.

at least i assume they're monster. otherwise i can't think of a reason why he'd want us to watch that either.

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    at least i assume they're monster. otherwise i can't think of a reason why he'd want us to watch that either.

Confession: I didn't watch. I skimmed until I saw the part I wanted and then told you all to fast forward. :)

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I love that video - such an obvious solution!

(Disclaimer, I only watched about 5 seconds from @crabada 's recommendation.).
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Sweet! So much easier than struggling. And if I get stuck lifting after that one guy again who had 6 plates on the bar and I had to take off 4 of them to get to do my lift, then it won't be such a struggle.

Also, glad I wasn't the only one struggling. Just gotta admit that one. :wink:
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Also, glad I wasn't the only one struggling. Just gotta admit that one. :wink:

Definitely not. I've posted a similar video (which I couldn't find this time) for a similar quandry in another thread. And I learned that trick by accident, watching said video. :)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Ah! Yea, I will sometimes use a 2.5 or a 5lbs plate to load/unload additional plates (although I've gotten pretty good at just sliding them on while leveraging the bar recently. Iunno, lol). I keep the bar in the rack until I have 135 on it, anyway, so I don't have to ditz around trying to put plates on an empty bar. That's the secret! :)

There's also a lil thingy called the deadwedge that kinda looks like a door stopper and is sold for about 20$ that can eb used as a glorified plate (it's got a groove in it so it's a bit more stable) https://www.lift.net/store/strength-accessories/66-dead-wedge.html
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I was going to say what krok said. I only use bumpers for the first 45s then use normal plates so it's not really an issue.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    That's some fancy cinematography in that video. That's a good idea. The rubberized weights at my gym are huge though so I feel like they'd be unwieldy still. The 45's look like tires.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What I do is put the two lift-off thingies (the hook things that hold the bar) on the lowest holes on the front of my power rack, load up, then drop it down to the floor. Since the lowest holes are only between 1 and 2 feet off the ground it's pretty easy to get a loaded bar up and down. Here's a pic (bad angle, but you get the idea):
    6ekmwa4y2gmf.jpg
    When I still worked out at the gym it was a total pain to figure out how to get the plates off especially since you're exhausted from lifting!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I use one 45 and then smaller plates after that (even if I need two 45s. I'd use a 2nd 35 and a 10). However, using the fractional plate is a really good idea.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some woman at our gym wanted to use the sled. It was freighted with 45's- like 5 on each side. She sidled over to the cage, batted her eyes at my husband, and asked if he would help her remove the 45's b/c she couldn't move them. This is an effective strategy you could try -- altho not in her case, b/c he was going into his squat set, so I went over and stripped the 45's for her. Judging from her expression, this was not the outcome she'd hoped for :smiley:
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @CHFay -- than made me laugh out loud. :)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    She can pull a sled around but can't lift a 45-lb plate? Faker! I would have sung Don't Mess with my Man by Nivea while I helped her :smiley: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DeUoWIxvsw)
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Heehee. I'm not sure what she was trying to accomplish but she did use the unfreighted sled for some half-hearted leg work after I got done cleaning it up.

In the same vein, we were in the gym late this Monday- like around 5 pm, so it was getting crowded. We were in the cage and doing bench presses (the bench was occupied, and we were afraid if we left the cage we couldn't finish the stonglifts workout) when some cardio bunnies got into the Smith machine right next to the cage. Blond, perky ponytails, semi-matching outfits, yada yada. They were busy doing "squats" and eyeing the college boys working their arms in the mirrors. I'm on the bench working on a 90# press set, and my husband is standing on the side between the cage and the Smith- overhears them saying "I can bench as much as that old lady". Now, they're quarter-squatting 30# of plates on the frigging Smith machine. I asked him why he didn't invite them over to work in, I could have used the laugh! (and yes, at a glance, these kids were half my age) After they were done I'da asked them to join me for a few deadlifts at 225. Snork.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    CHFay wrote: »
    Blond, perky ponytails, semi-matching outfits, yada yada. They were busy doing "squats" and eyeing the college boys working their arms in the mirrors. I'm on the bench working on a 90# press set, and my husband is standing on the side between the cage and the Smith- overhears them saying "I can bench as much as that old lady". Now, they're quarter-squatting 30# of plates on the frigging Smith machine. I asked him why he didn't invite them over to work in, I could have used the laugh! (and yes, at a glance, these kids were half my age) After they were done I'da asked them to join me for a few deadlifts at 225. Snork.

This is basically the face I just made reading that:

Pinkie_super_shocked_face_S2E24.png

If I were a pink horse with a pink mane. But you know what I mean.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    ^^ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You show em old gal!