Good watch for a new runner

Options
skippygirlsmom
skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
I'm sure this has been asked 1,000 times, but my cousin is starting to run (he's a big cycler) and was asking me about a watch. I tend to just worry about my time so I have a cheaper watch. He wants to track, time, distance, heart rate and pace. Something in the medium price range. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If he's a cyclist, I'd recommend the Garmin 920. If he doesn't care about cycling metrics/functionality, then the 220.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If he's a cyclist, I'd recommend the Garmin 920. If he doesn't care about cycling metrics/functionality, then the 220.
    +1
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    thanks!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    This is probably not a factor because he's a dude, but--I am a small female (5'3, slim wrists), and the 910/920 is GIANT. To the point where, no matter how it's on my wrist, it's uncomfortable.

I love my 220 for running, though!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If he's a cyclist, I'd recommend the Garmin 920.

Given that the requirement is medium price range, the 310XT is pretty capable as a multisport device.

I find it comfortable for running and it works reasonably on the bike, coupled with speed and cadence sensors.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The 910 will likely fit his needs and is much less than the 920.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Thanks again! I passed all the responses on to him, it'll give him a good place to start. :smile: