First night time trail run. I need a light.

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
I will be doing a 10-mile race this weekend which begins in the late afternoon, so at least the second half of it will be run in the dark. This is a trail run, so there will be rocks, elevation, roots etc. It will be my first night race; I figured it would be a good intro for me since it's two loops and I can probably complete the first loop before sunset, so the "dark" loop will be a repeat. I do run in the dark around my neighborhood, but there is enough light from the streetlights that I don't need my own light source.

Any recommendations for light? Headlamps or handhelds? I've read that headlamps can cause some issues with depth perception so anyone's experience here would be appreciated as well. I have easy access to Road Runner, REI, and Home Depot to pick something up.

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with a headlamp, but running with one can cause some people nausea. You ideally want the brightest headlamp you can afford (if going for a headlamp) but check it for weight and seriously consider wearing a buff or something under it. I don't like the idea of torches as they will interrupt the swing of your arm as you run when you try to keep the light where it's needed.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have one by Petzl that works great for me. Time of day isn't an issue for running with a good headlamp. You can probably find something similar to this at just about any running or outdoor sportinggoods store. Mine has several levels of brightness. I typically have it on 30 or 45 lumens. It goes up to 160 but I don't ever use it that high. It seems excessive but depending on the course it could come in handy.

Comfortable, padded head strap, and the light is out of your eyes and on the trial.

http://www.petzl.com/EN/Sport/Lighting#.VLBnsdId_zN

ETA: Black Diamond might be one of the more talked about brands. Those are top-notch lights.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I have the Black Diamond Spot (headlamp). It's amazing. It's your best bet among budget options at $35-40, and IMHO holds its own among the more expensive ones as well.

As a bonus, it's great for reading in bed and for power outages.

• Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use knuckle lights. No excess head weight. They don't blind your running partners if you turn to look at them. I've also found that they are brighter than some headlights. I have one running buddy whose headlight pretty much disappears compared to my knuckle lights. They are also reasonably priced at about $40.

s4bn0f70xy5a.jpg
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Silly question may be but with the knuckle lights do you have to hold them so its like carrying something? I hate even wearing gloves when I run as like my hands free. (sorry for the slight hijack OP).

I run with a headtorch and have found some slight issues with depth perception, less so with solid things like potholes but puddles are a nightmare - I can't tell if its just a damp bit of tarmac or a 4" deep pool! Apparently its a perception thing based on how near the light is to your eyes and the angle of view, some people have more of an issue than others.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    Silly question may be but with the knuckle lights do you have to hold them so its like carrying something? I hate even wearing gloves when I run as like my hands free. (sorry for the slight hijack OP).

I run with a headtorch and have found some slight issues with depth perception, less so with solid things like potholes but puddles are a nightmare - I can't tell if its just a damp bit of tarmac or a 4" deep pool! Apparently its a perception thing based on how near the light is to your eyes and the angle of view, some people have more of an issue than others.

Theres a strap you slide your hand in to. You *might* be able to run without closing your hand around the strap if your hands are larger...

I have the knunckle lights. I don't think theyre bright enough but the run club members have said its like a truck coming towards them. I'm also fairly blind so theres that

I have a 10$ Raypvac headlamp I run with. Ran with an Energizer one this morning
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have a Petzl headlamp I use for street running and basic trails at night (and it's great for walking around campgrounds at night, etc), but for more technical trails I really like the headlamp plus one knuckle light. I hate to carry things and I don't find that the knuckle lights feel like that.

I do wear a headband under the headlamp. It causes a bit of a halo effect that can be a bit disconcerting, but if it bothers me I have found that wearing the headlamp on top of a visor eliminates it but doesn't interfere with the light. I haven't had issues with depth perception.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying my Petzl headlamp. Very light weight, different levels of illumination, white or red light. Have to say when I get in from my runs I have to be careful not to thow it on the floor when I take my hat off as I forget that I am wearing it.
  • Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    Silly question may be but with the knuckle lights do you have to hold them so its like carrying something? I hate even wearing gloves when I run as like my hands free.

The knuckle lights simply strap around your fingers. I hardly notice that they are there. I'm still able to use my hands as needed. I find them very convenient.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I find that Knucklelights work good for road running but out on the trail they are not bright enough on their own. Coupled with a headlamp they are a big help, especially with depth perception and avoid rocks/ruts/etc.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    depending on how cold it is, a headlamp can have another limitation. I noticed on my last run that my light was getting dimmer. I thought the battery was dying on my but then noticed that the light was getting iced over from my breathing.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Energizer makes a good LED head lamp. That's what I use. Stays pretty secure when running and is very bright.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    depending on how cold it is, a headlamp can have another limitation. I noticed on my last run that my light was getting dimmer. I thought the battery was dying on my but then noticed that the light was getting iced over from my breathing.

Sounds like my glasses on Sunday morning lol

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Love my Black Diamond Icon Headlamp. http://tinyurl.com/p2s4j44