Options
w2bab
w2bab Posts: 353 Member
wnptl.jpg

Replies

• Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks for creating this group. I want to up my ability to do pushups. I am going to start slow by doing 1 group of pushups (with pushup bars) every three days - I am going to go for a total of 30 on each day first half of month, 45 on each day 2nd half of month). Total for June : 375

Let's go for it!
    Day 1: 30
    Day 2: 30
    Day 3: 30
    Day 4: 30
    Day 5: 30
    Day 6: 45
    Day 7: 45
    Day 8: 45
    Day 9: 45
    Day 10: 45

exercise.png
  • w2bab
    Options
    Welcome! This is the first time I've started a group, so I'm a bit of a newbie. Just finished a 30-day squat challenge and the results were amazing, so I figured a push up challenge would be good. I found this one online, and tested myself this morning to see if it was feasible. I did 20 modified and 5 regular, so I'm up for the challenge (I think). Even if I only reach 100 by the end of the month I'll consider it a success, so I figured I'd set the goal high.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me how this works? This is the first time I've entered a challenge.
    Are the numbers on the table what I'm supposed to aspire to: 25 day 1, 50 day 2, etc?
    Where/how do I post them; do I come to this group and give my daily number..?
    Do I do them all at once, or do I spread them out over the course of the day? (I'm a bit worried about day 30's expectations)

I'm looking forward to this...
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a really good challenge. The first week looks doable but after that it looks like it'll be rough. For me, I'm gonna say that each day get them all done in as many sets as it takes but to do them all at one time.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    hmm. think i might be interested in this. already doing about 200 in 4 sets (generally something like 60/55/45/40) when i wake up on mwf. the numbers on this chart go up pretty fast... i think 500 would certainly require doing them throughout the day.
  • affacat
    Options
    For me, I'm gonna say that each day get them all done in as many sets as it takes but to do them all at one time.

i'm not sure that would work? the numbers might increase too fast for that unless you're already capable of doing a ton. at some point my arms would go jelly and my form would suffer. like i mentioned, i do 4 max sets m/w/f as it is, and i know if i threw a 5th or 6th on there my numbers would start decreasing fast. i'm thinking towards the end of the month i'll do my 200 or so in the morning, another 200 in the evening (a couple hours after my normal workout), and another 100 before i go to bed (or, perhaps by then i'll be doing 250 and 250).

certainly a challenge. i think those end of month numbers might be unreasonable for someone that isn't doing any currently, but it's still something to strive for.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Here is my take on this challenge.
    The example set out was if you did 25 per day with some rest days.
    The "Big" number at the end of the months is a cumulative total for the whole month, not that you have to 550 in a day!

This is just me talking, but If I could do 550 pushups in one day I sure wouldn't need to be on this site. I would be hanging out on some weightlifting site.

I am setting very modest goals for myself.

1. I am only doing pushups every third day to give my body a chance to recover - Running, and other exercises the other days.
    2. Doing 30 total for the day the first five days.. then 45 total for the last five days.
    3. I am so out of shape that to do thirty in one day might take me 6 sets spread out over an hour - gotta start somewhere!
    4. My goal is to keep track of the time it takes me to do all of the pushups.

Again... this may because I am so out of shape... I never underestimate pushups.. they are hard!

Good Luck everytone!
  • str1ddy
    str1ddy Posts: 10
    Options
    This sounds really interesting. I did a pushup challenge three years ago and failed miserably >__< so I'm looking forward to trying this one. Hopefully I'll be able to complete it with modified pushups!
  • downeymb
    downeymb Posts: 1
    Options
    You could do something similar to the One Hundred Push Ups challenge:

http://hundredpushups.com
  • AMC72
    AMC72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and doing the conventional way isn't an option for me. Plus, I'm just beginning to work out.

I really believe the goals set are to do just that... challenge. I will try very hard to follow it to a T and if I can't do all of them, I'll confess it but won't feel bad about it because the point of this is to just keep moving :smile:

Thanks for the challenge :drinker:
  • w2bab
    Options
    I figure any progress is progress. We would just check in every day and post if we did them, how many, etc. I'm certainly not going to be judging anyone. And I imagine as the numbers get higher, they would be cumulative throughout the day. I just finished a squat challenge and the first day I could barely do 20, yesterday the 260 was a breeze. Do what you can. Do what you want. This morning I was able to do 5 regular and 20 modified. If I can reach 100 regular by the end of the month I'm going to be pretty darned happy with myself.
  • katherine611
    katherine611 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This sounds great, at this time I am half way through the 30 day squat challenge. What day is day 1?:sad: :bigsmile: :happy:
  • w2bab
    Options
    Day 1 will be June 1.
  • katherine611
    katherine611 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I am ready..................................:flowerforyou:
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm gonna say that each day get them all done in as many sets as it takes but to do them all at one time.

i'm not sure that would work? the numbers might increase too fast for that unless you're already capable of doing a ton. at some point my arms would go jelly and my form would suffer. like i mentioned, i do 4 max sets m/w/f as it is, and i know if i threw a 5th or 6th on there my numbers would start decreasing fast. i'm thinking towards the end of the month i'll do my 200 or so in the morning, another 200 in the evening (a couple hours after my normal workout), and another 100 before i go to bed (or, perhaps by then i'll be doing 250 and 250).

certainly a challenge. i think those end of month numbers might be unreasonable for someone that isn't doing any currently, but it's still something to strive for.

This is why it'll be a challenge for me. I don't think it'll be a problem until about halfway through so well see how it goes. And this is going to be on top of normal lifting days too.
  • affacat
    Options
    Here is my take on this challenge.
    The example set out was if you did 25 per day with some rest days.
    The "Big" number at the end of the months is a cumulative total for the whole month, not that you have to 550 in a day!

This is just me talking, but If I could do 550 pushups in one day I sure wouldn't need to be on this site. I would be hanging out on some weightlifting site.

I am setting very modest goals for myself.

Again... this may because I am so out of shape... I never underestimate pushups.. they are hard!

While it's definitely okay to set these goals for yourself, the challenge is definitely not meant to be cumulative. 25 a day, never increasing, isn't a challenge for anyone doing pushups on a regular basis. these sorts of challenges always are incremental and get harder and harder... so yes, the challenge actually expects you to be doing 500+ pushups in a day at the end of the month. i do think that's unreasonably high for someone not currently doing pushups, but it is what it is.
    You could do something similar to the One Hundred Push Ups challenge:

http://hundredpushups.com

i did the '7 weeks to 100 pushups' book awhile back and had good results. i actually prefer just doing 4 max sets at my own pace, but my wife wanted to follow a plan so i did it with her.
    This is why it'll be a challenge for me. I don't think it'll be a problem until about halfway through so well see how it goes. And this is going to be on top of normal lifting days too.

Yea, I don't think I'd have a problem till 250-300 right now, but if i tried to do them all during one period (like, morning) i think once i hit around 300 my reps would be down to under 10 and my form would be at risk. i'm definitely going to split them between morning and night once it gets up that high. or maybe i'm underestimating myself... like i said, i do about 200 now, so maybe if gave myself more then 4 max reps i'd be able to get higher than i think.