Breakfast Ideas -

Options
NikonPal
NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
Someone had asked for sample breakfast ideas, so I thought I would share here as well. I realize everyone has their own approach to nutrition...but why waste a photo? LOL

MyBreakfastRecipes1_zpsc5ce6454.jpg

Replies

• BlueHarebell
    Options
    Mmm Mmm, they look sooooooo good. Will try one or two Bob as a change from the usual oatmeal and orange juice. Thanks, Anne.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks Bob. there only one problems, Men can eat more than a woman.will you come oook for me? 250 calories look pretty filling. and very balance meals.
    Marie
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Anne – The lower right corner was just - “Steel Cut” Oatmeal and Organic Mixed Berries… For the most part everything is a snap to put together.

For me – all food starts with the “visual.” I never eat from a container.I do adjust plate size depending upon the meal. If there is a lot of space the brain seems to say “you’re going to starve.” Lol. None of my meals say “diet” they say “Bon Appétit.”

Marie – I know what you mean and very true. In my case, given the large amount of weight I had to lose, I kept my calorie intake to the 1200 max @ day level for 95% of the time. I am never hungry, but with a low calorie intake I make sure I am getting all the nutrients I need. My cardiologist is happy – so I am happy :)

A good Sunday start. Ended yesterday under calorie goal.

Up by 5am and burned 358 calories doing 60 minutes of Walking, 3.1 mph, pace. Longest walk I have done in years.

Made a low calorie breakfast: Egg Busters, 1/4 cup; Canadian Bacon 1 Thick Slice; Light Oatmeal toast, 0.5 slices; Fat Free American Cheese, 0.5 slice; Driscoll - Raspberries, 1 oz; Broccoli 1 oz., Seasoned quinoa, tomato & feta cheese, 0.2g Green / red Grapes, 2.25 oz; TOTAL CALORIES: 194;

Ended the morning with a negative net calorie of (-) 164 for the day.

“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.” ― Mother Teresa

Enjoy your day! Bob
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Bob, I make everything from "scratch" too. For a start it's much cheaper than bought ready made stuff. It's a rare treat for me to eat restaurant food. I often make bread, but these days I use a bread maker to do the kneading and then when that process is done, it's baked in the oven. One thing about retirement you have the time to cook and losing most of my friends to the grim reaper or retirement homes gave me an outlet to fill the holes left in my life. I'm making a big warming veggie and bean stew right now, perfect for the frigid weather. Have a great Sunday, Anne.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Don't forget smoothies.

Vega one protein powder
    ground flax seed
    cinnamon
    frozen fruit
    kale
    coconut milk
    greek yogurt

Put in blender and mix. Delicious ! Under 300 calories
  • CALIECAT
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Shirley I just look up the vega at amazon. do you like it. It sounded sorted expensive.when do you have it?
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Bob, I make everything from "scratch" too. For a start it's much cheaper than bought ready made stuff. It's a rare treat for me to eat restaurant food. I often make bread, but these days I use a bread maker to do the kneading and then when that process is done, it's baked in the oven. One thing about retirement you have the time to cook and losing most of my friends to the grim reaper or retirement homes gave me an outlet to fill the holes left in my life. I'm making a big warming veggie and bean stew right now, perfect for the frigid weather. Have a great Sunday, Anne.

Anne – Nothing like “from scratch” for main meal or dessert. Even the local grocery store has great “from scratch” cakes/pies – the taste difference is huge…and so is the price of course (triple). LOL

It is nice to have the time to play in the kitchen. As for the grim reaper – he does tend to leave a hole in our lives. More than half the friends / family I have lost over the last 6 years were in their 60’s or under. I guess that is why, I always liked the quote: "“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations". A reminder to live each day – you should be commended for doing just that…

As for restaurant food – I normally save that for things I don’t regularly cook at home….traditional Japanese cuisine (not mall food), certain steaks etc. I always review their nutrition guide in advance.

Of well – have a great afternoon. BOB
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Bob, what a super quote. Never heard that one. I'm going to write that out. Thanks so much.
    Anne.
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    PS, A home made salmon fish cake today ( and tomorrow ) with loads of veggies.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Since Bob started this topic I will post my menu here I am not the cook he is.
    Breakfast..... Kroger diet shake coffee
    lunch........... Bowl of pinto beans and veggies soup. Tea
    snack 1/2 turkey sandwich 1 t. of mayo. [ that will take care of my protein, Carb and fat\
    Dinner......... hamburger steak with rilled onions
    1 c up of green beans, !.2 c carrots,Tee
    no after dinner snacks unless needed.
    marie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Marie

Yes it is expensive but I only use it in my smoothies for that extra protein so it gets you through the morning and into lunch time.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    During a recent consult with my nutritionist I was lamenting the fact that I wasn't burning fat/loosing weight the way I thought I should. She looked at what I was eating for breakfast and suggested I eliminate any carbohydrates in at least four breakfast meals a week (the four days I follow breakfast up with a workout at the gym). Since I followed her advice and have turned to eating lean bacon, lean ham, or turkey sausage with one or two scrambled eggs on gym days, the weight has starting coming off and my tape measure tells me my belly fat is disappearing, too. I was worried about all the cholesterol but she told me you don't get high cholesterol from eating cholesterol.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Connie for your tip from your nutrition
    Do you eat carbs at your other meals
    Marie
  • NikonPal
    Options
    This mornings breakfast consisted was --

BREAKFAST (Calories 174) Asparagus Tips, (43g); Cooked Spaghetti Squash No Salt 1.75 oz; Driscoll's - Organic Blueberries, 0.57 cup; Hormel - Black Label Real Bacon Pieces, 1 tbsp; Banana, 0.67 oz,; Lucerne - Large Grade Aa 1 egg; Wegmans - Sugar Free Jello , 1 Snack

20150501_104214_breakfast%20egg%20asp_1_zpspwfzs2rq.jpg

• CALIECAT
    Options
    Looks Delish Bob and lovely,