WEEK 7 TUESDAY

11 Soon afterward Jesus went with his disciples to the village of Nain, and a large crowd followed him. 12 A funeral procession was coming out as he approached the village gate. The young man who had died was a widow’s only son, and a large crowd from the village was with her. 13 When the Lord saw her, his heart overflowed with compassion. “Don’t cry!” he said. 14 Then he walked over to the coffin and touched it, and the bearers stopped. “Young man,” he said, “I tell you, get up.” 15 Then the dead boy sat up and began to talk! And Jesus gave him back to his mother.

16 Great fear swept the crowd, and they praised God, saying, “A mighty prophet has risen among us,” and “God has visited his people today.” 17 And the news about Jesus spread throughout Judea and the surrounding countryside.

Replies

• kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    LUKE 7:11-17

OBSERVATION
    I read where being a widow with no kids would be extremely hard. This woman would probably end up begging for food and an easy target for those who were up to no good. She was really at rock bottom with no where to go. This is when Jesus stepped right on in. He felt so much compassion for the woman when He saw her.

My commentary reads as follows: "This story illustrates salvation. The whole word was dead in sin (Ephesians 2:1) just as the widow's son was dead. Being dead, we could do nothing to help ourselves. We couldn't even ask for help. But God had compassion on us, and he sent Jesus to raise us to life with him (Ephesians 2:4-7). The dead man did not "earn" his second chance at life, and we cannot earn our new life in Christ. But we can accpet God's gift of life, praise God for it, and use our life to do his will." That is awesome!!

Fear = Respect...which is what swept through the crowd. They saw and they believed; however it is that much more great when one can NOT see but still believe.

APPLICATION
    Know that whatever tragedy or trouble I am in, I can always look for Jesus Christ to come and work it out.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, I ask that you help me to develop such awesome character traits as those of Jesus Christ. Help me to become more compassionate and loving towards others. I ask that you take off and away anger and frustration that I deal with on a daily basis. Help me not to get so emotional at times but peaceful and ready to call on you instead. Thank you for that right now in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.