WEEK 7 WEDNESDAY

18 The disciples of John the Baptist told John about everything Jesus was doing. So John called for two of his disciples, 19 and he sent them to the Lord to ask him, “Are you the Messiah we’ve been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?”

20 John’s two disciples found Jesus and said to him, “John the Baptist sent us to ask, ‘Are you the Messiah we’ve been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?’”

21 At that very time, Jesus cured many people of their diseases, illnesses, and evil spirits, and he restored sight to many who were blind. 22 Then he told John’s disciples, “Go back to John and tell him what you have seen and heard—the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor. 23 And tell him, ‘God blesses those who do not turn away because of me.’”

24 After John’s disciples left, Jesus began talking about him to the crowds. “What kind of man did you go into the wilderness to see? Was he a weak reed, swayed by every breath of wind? 25 Or were you expecting to see a man dressed in expensive clothes? No, people who wear beautiful clothes and live in luxury are found in palaces. 26 Were you looking for a prophet? Yes, and he is more than a prophet. 27 John is the man to whom the Scriptures refer when they say,

‘Look, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
and he will prepare your way before you.’

28 I tell you, of all who have ever lived, none is greater than John. Yet even the least person in the Kingdom of God is greater than he is!”

29 When they heard this, all the people—even the tax collectors—agreed that God’s way was right, for they had been baptized by John. 30 But the Pharisees and experts in religious law rejected God’s plan for them, for they had refused John’s baptism.

31 “To what can I compare the people of this generation?” Jesus asked. “How can I describe them? 32 They are like children playing a game in the public square. They complain to their friends,

‘We played wedding songs,
and you didn’t dance,
so we played funeral songs,
and you didn’t weep.’

33 For John the Baptist didn’t spend his time eating bread or drinking wine, and you say, ‘He’s possessed by a demon.’ 34 The Son of Man, on the other hand, feasts and drinks, and you say, ‘He’s a glutton and a drunkard, and a friend of tax collectors and other sinners!’ 35 But wisdom is shown to be right by the lives of those who follow it.”

Replies

• kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    LUKE 7:18-35

OBSERVATION
    John the Baptist was a little doubtful and wanted to make certain if Jesus was in fact the Messiah that was to come. He was "fully" walking in his calling and wanted to make sure he continued to do so and just needed clarification. Jesus didn't rebuke Him for it which proves that unless your actions/ intended thoughts are headed by a negative spirit, there is nothing wrong with asking God questions.

Its so amazing to read about John the Baptist and how he was brought forth in his mother's womb for a purpose. He walked 100% in his calling and didn't falter. After Jesus told the disciples of John the Baptist to go back and report exactly what they saw with their own eyes (the prophecies of what will take place when the Messiah comes - healing, raising of the dead and the Good News being preaced), he began to tell the crowd of John the Baptist. I guess we can call it "lifting him up." Jesus said that John surpasses being a prophet. Wow...that is awesome. No one else besided Jesus himself walked as great as John had in fulfilling God's purpose in his life. Even then, the bible states that everyone after him will inherit greater things because they will have a greater understanding of who Jesus is, his life on earth, death and what his resurrection was all about...yes, that includes us. Life before Christ (John the Baptist) versus life in the fullness of Christ after His death and resurrection (us).

I will tell you this, some people are in such awe of the anointing placed on other's lives and want to have that same anointing; however there is a price for such anointing. In John's and Jesus' case it was death. I honestly believe that John knew just like Jesus did that when the time came for everything to be fulfilled, death would be his ending here on earth. There are others even in today's time that have died in His name sake.

Haters....Haters....Haters..... Everyone one else in the crowd believed as Jesus was telling them this but the Pharisees. Why is that? Why were they hating on Jesus so much when they should have been in sync with God's plan. Well, when one is portraying on the outside to be good and followers of the Word but in their hearts are wrong as well as their actions are hypocritical, then you will feel someone stepping on your toes when they speak the truth. The Word of God says that the Word is sharper than any two edged sword. It pierces you and cuts you deep when its talking about you. They weren't right and needed Jesus to be quiet because He was exposing them and doing it publically.

In everything that we do we must ask God to direct our paths and decisions because we do not want to become like the Pharisees who are always right in their own eyes.

APPLICATION
    Daily ask God to direct my ways. Ask for a pure heart and renewed mind and spirit.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, I thank you for the obedience of those before us; your Son Jesus CHrist being in the forefront. Thank you for truth. I ask that as we continue to read, those who are active in the bible study, to unveil whatever it is to us that you need to speak to us. Give us clearity of what your Word says so that we have no doubt. Thank you for this right now. I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.