Thighs: An observation and a question...

Options
6550mom
6550mom Posts: 206 Member
So, measurements this morning show a small but definite decrease in waist and hips (yay). But, my thighs are the same or slightly bigger. I feel more 'muscle-y' under there but there's still plenty of fat that can go away. Been at this since mid-April, but slowly (as in more than 3 days between workouts sometimes)

Weird observation: When I did Insanity, the thigh measurements would actually go down first, followed by the other two (I only measure those three things). But now, the other measurements have moved, but the thighs have not.
Isn't that odd?

And Question: WTF? When will the thighs start to de-fat and see decreased measurements? Are they just lagging? I hope so or I will look like some freak with TWO giant tree trunks supporting a disproportionately smaller upper body. Or should I do some Insanity as my cardio and see if that helps?

(ok, so it's a stupid question, but has been bothering me for a while as I've seen this happen and just looking for reassurance that my body will not become freak-show disproportionate...)

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not the one to ask. I fail at measuring my thighs. My thighs have been 28in for months at the widest part. However, I can curtsy in pants that used to be tight. I have no clue how that works except that I need remedial training on how to use a tape measure.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    You know, I forgot to mention that - as the measurements have stayed the same, I too feel that some pants are looser in the leg. This is just getting weird, LOL.

Maybe the shape of the thigh is different, despite the same size? LIke the fat isn't as flabby or doesn't spread out to conform to coat the inside of the pant leg :laugh:

Who knows- overall, it's still ok, just weird.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Maybe the shape of the thigh is different, despite the same size? LIke the fat isn't as flabby or doesn't spread out to conform to coat the inside of the pant leg :laugh:

that's my guess! i have gained mass in the front of my thighs, but lost mass in the back of my thighs and butt. so my thigh has definitely reshaped, and i see a curve of muscle on both inner thighs when my legs are flexed and close together. i love that.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am having something similar. My hip measurement has changed about an inch but I am starting to wear a size smaller. That shouldn't be. Weird.

I wouldn't worry about the thighs not going down yet. Fat comes off where it wants to! It will come off eventually if you are eating at a deficit.

I think maybe the thing is that it is harder to discern the sweet spot of your deficit with weights versus with cardio. You need to eat enough and the right mix of pro/fat/carb to fuel your workouts, but enough of a deficit to lose fat. I think my suggestion is, keep lifting, but work with your food to find what is the right level for you.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My thighs have just started to really decrease in size, and I'm 4 months in. They got bigger for a while, but now they are tightening up. Where you lose may be very individual - I am just now starting to see my waist and hip measurements really move. Either way, getting stronger is a win!
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Though it is possible that you are gaining muscle mass whilst losing body fat, I think a more interesting measurement would be your body fat percentage.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Though it is possible that you are gaining muscle mass whilst losing body fat, I think a more interesting measurement would be your body fat percentage.

I know- I wish I had a reliable way to measure that. I don't do a good job with calipers by myself. The body composition scales show a downward trend but I don't trust the actual numbers. I have no colon (thanks to ulcerative colitis) and my body water fluctuates even more than other people. Those scales vary a lot in body fat and water content for me. I have a Tanita Ironman and the EatSmart scales. They are off by 5+% bodyfat and water from each other on any given day but ESPECIALLY when I know I'm dehydrated- annoying!

Maybe I'll get over it and have it measured at the gym, although, I don't think most of the trainers/employees at my gym are that well-trained in it anyway.

I feel it though. I can feel less fatty. If only my butt, thighs and back would SHOW me, finally, LOL. :)
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options

I know- I wish I had a reliable way to measure that. I don't do a good job with calipers by myself. The body composition scales show a downward trend but I don't trust the actual numbers. I have no colon (thanks to ulcerative colitis) and my body water fluctuates even more than other people. Those scales vary a lot in body fat and water content for me. I have a Tanita Ironman and the EatSmart scales. They are off by 5+% bodyfat and water from each other on any given day but ESPECIALLY when I know I'm dehydrated- annoying!

Maybe I'll get over it and have it measured at the gym, although, I don't think most of the trainers/employees at my gym are that well-trained in it anyway.

I feel it though. I can feel less fatty. If only my butt, thighs and back would SHOW me, finally, LOL. :)

According to this personal training book I've been reading, the most accurate and reliable way to measure body fat is hydrostatic weighing. I'm still trying to figure out how the use of a hydrostatic weighing machine would be practical in a health club setting with the supervision of a fitness professional.

As a side note, it is recommended that staff make sure that these devices are working properly. One way is to do the same measurements on consecutive days under the same conditions.

Also, weigh yourself before and after your workout. You want to consume 20 ounces of water for each pound of weight decreased post workout. Gatorade is better than water though.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

If you are eating in a deficit this ^^^^ will not be the case with the exception of *maybe* some slight newbie gains.

Don't worry, you won't end up looking like you have tree trunk legs! Like another poster mentioned, it's essentially the recomp that is happening. You may start to see more in your quads, but your hammies and glutes will start to really reshape, so while you may not be losing inches, you are changing shape which is awesome!

My measurements really haven't changed anything drastic but I tell you that my shape has changed tremendously from when I first started SL 6 months ago :smile:

Keep on keeping on and the results you are looking for will come.....it just takes a lot of time and a damn lot of patience :drinker: :happy:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

According to this personal training book I've been reading, the most accurate and reliable way to measure body fat is hydrostatic weighing. I'm still trying to figure out how the use of a hydrostatic weighing machine would be practical in a health club setting with the supervision of a fitness professional.

As a side note, it is recommended that staff make sure that these devices are working properly. One way is to do the same measurements on consecutive days under the same conditions.

Also, weigh yourself before and after your workout. You want to consume 20 ounces of water for each pound of weight decreased post workout. Gatorade is better than water though.

Your book is outdated, dexa is widely considered the most accurate now I believe.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/measuring-body-composition-part-1.html

and I don't think gatorade is necessary at all actually - but you DO need to give your body some carbs and protein either post workout or within an hour or two prior to working out.

6550mom - the size of your thighs, and how quickly they change, is pretty much genetic. Some people get flat stomachs first and then relaly have to fight with their thighs, other people lean up in the thigh quickly but have a hard time getting the stomach to match.

I could say more but my short answer is - don't worry about it too much. Train hard, eat well, and give it a few months of consistency. You should see improvements.

I don't do measurements so I can't speak to that much but my pants can get WAY tight from water and glycogen retention in my legs -- and get way loose after a few days off (when that storage drops down). On the other hand my legs look better naked when they are big like that -the muscles are all swole and they look tight. When tehy're small, they look flabbier.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Great answers! I am experiencing the same situation. Thanks for asking. This helps a lot!
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Eh copyright 2012 sounded good to me! lol
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My thigh circumference at the widest point has only gone down 1" from when I was 20 lb heavier. Right above the knee, though, I lost quite a bit more than that. I am pretty pleased with how my legs look now, though, and they are also a lot firmer than they used to be. I've definitely grown some quads.

For women, thighs and butt are two places where fat will often come off last, for reasons that have to do with sex differences. Even if you train like crazy, you might not lose that thigh fat until your body fat percentage is very, very low. Sorry to be a downer, but that's how it be.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Eh copyright 2012 sounded good to me! lol

From what I understand there is a huge variance in the hydrostatic weighing based on if you have gas, how good you are at breathing out all the oxygen from your lungs, etc. The ETP group has a good post on all the ways of determining body fat and what the downfalls of each are. Essentially, there is no perfect method; all have margins of error.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Ya can't change genetics. It'll come off how it'll come off, and it'll redistribute how it'll redistribute.

Usually the area you want to shrink first, will be the one to shrink last.

Oh well, whatever motivates us to keep going, right? :laugh: