Can't pretend I feel good.

Options
TheLaser
TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
I'm 25 weeks along and really in a funk. The magic pregnancy glow wand missed me. Yesterday I went to prenatal yoga and EVERYONE in the class was all super positive and glowing, despite whatever pregnancy complaints they had. Except me.
I feel terrible.
All. the. time.
I'm still a little nauseous, heartburn is on and off, I'm tired all the time, and I have insomnia. But I know women even with all of that and more who still LOVE being pregnant. I just think the hormones must affect me differently than most women because I feel depressed rather than positive and upbeat. It was the same with my first child. Are any of you having a negative pregnancy experience? I feel really alone in this. It doesn't mean I love my baby any less or that I'm not grateful to be expecting.

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I didn't have a terrible pregnancy experience, but I was so glad for it to be over. My baby is 7 months old now and I'd love more... but I really don't want to be pregnant again for a while. It's quite draining.

All the best to you! I hope things get easier!
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy was like this-- just kind of a low-grade misery all of the time. When people told me they enjoyed being pregnant, I looked at them like they had two heads.

This time around, it's not as bad-- my MS was much more fleeting, I haven't had bad heartburn yet, headaches not as often. Of course, I've still got a ways to go (almost 19 weeks preg.) so anything could happen.

What gives me pause is that you mention being depressed. Have you mentioned these feelings to your doctor/midwife?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    not as such, im not exactly down but i feel ill about 95% of the time so im no fun to be around
  • TheLaser
    Options
    Thanks for the support, ladies. I did actually see a therapist once while I was deep in the throes of nausea and insomnia, but I really felt like that experience just added to my stress levels and wasn't really going to help in the long term. I felt like exercise and some alone time would help more, but the pace of my life just doesn't allow for much of that (working full time with a toddler). I just put the little guy today in day care, so maybe things will get a little better on that front. But it was also really hard dropping him off and kissing him good-bye this morning.
    I am definitely no fun to be around. :(
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    TheLaser - I definitely remember feeling this way with my last pregnancy. In fact I took St. John's Wart for my depression/anxiety. It helped a lot! Eventually though your body starts acclimating to it and it becomes less effective. This time around I had gotten into the habit before getting pregnant to take probiotics each night before bed and it has been a night and day difference from my last pregnancy. It may be worth looking into some herbal remedies like St. Johns Wart or high quality Probiotics. If you want more info on the 5-strain probiotic I take just shoot me a PM. A bonus is that I rarely get infections down there anymore either (last pregnancy I had 3 massive yeast infections).

A quick Google search will yield tons of testimonials on how probiotics can help lift "brain fog" and depression naturally.
  • teresand77
    teresand77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am sort of like you but mine is always due to the impending changes in my life. I am horrible at dealing with change so both times I had some minor anxiety/depression over the changes I knew were coming. Right now I'm due 3/10/15 and usually feel fine but some days feel really overwhelmed thinking about the changes that are going to be coming with two little guys. My first son is finally to an age where I feel like our life is manageable again at 3.5 :smile: I like being pregnant though and have no issues with that--I just don't like the newborn stage--that first three months when they don't really do anything fun and are so much work!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It could also be they are just saying that. When people ask me how I'm feeling, I always say I'm doing great. Really, I have backaches, heartburn, fatigue, and have my down in the dumps days too. But I figure people dont really want to hear about it, and for the most part it's pretty minor so I don't complain.

Just a thought :)
  • umekanzah
    umekanzah Posts: 94 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Two of my friends are pregnant currently and none of us pretend to be glowing and upbeat all the time. One of them has bad nausea and vomiting and the other has stomach ulcers. My nausea is slowly subsiding but pubic pain is rearing its head at 15 weeks which is normal for me, i totally expected it but i also dread the excruciating pain and limited mobility that comes with it. This is all just to say that you are not alone. this time around (3rd baby) i am also a bit down and feel bad about it because i dont want to sound ungrateful for being pregnant but it is what it is. I am just trying to take it easy. I think its a good thing you put your toddler in day care so you can have some quiet time. My husband is recommending i do the same and i think i might soon.
  • TheLaser
    Options
    Somehow I missed all of these helpful responses! I am now 27 weeks and still not feeling much better. With the first pregnancy, I thought the depression was due to dealing with the huge lifestyle shift (I went from being super athletic and thin to sick, tired, unable to exercise comfortably, gaining over 40 lbs, etc) but this time around the shift is not as dramatic and doesn't serve as a viable explanation. I truly believe this is a hormonal reaction.

Mormonmomma: I have thought about St. John's Wort and maybe I'll take it (I have some laying around here), but as with everything related to pregnancy, it looks like there's no clear research on the safety of it. I'll talk with my midwife at the next appointment. I did regularly take a probiotic last pregnancy, but it's been on and off this time around. Which one do you take? My latest revelation has been about fermented foods: my heartburn has all but disappeared after I started eating something fermented at every meal! It's a natural probiotic, so I'm sure that's part of why it's effective.

Umekanzah: the first week of day care was very hard on our little guy, but now he seems to have adjusted and is always in a great mood when we pick him up. It was definitely the right decision at this time for our family.

• mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I was worried about taking St Johns Wart the last go around too, but I got it approved by my OB and had a second opinion from a retired OBGYN in my old neighborhood. Both approved it.

Also the probiotic is called ProBio5. It's sold by Plexus online, if you want more info I can PM you the link - otherwise I'm so glad you found fermented foods that are helping!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Im not the happiest pregnant person in the world! lol. This is baby #4....a complete surprise too! First I had to get over the fact I was having another baby. Our oldest is 13 and youngest is 8 1/2. I was finally able to go out when I wanted without kids, having to worry about a sitter, etc. The starting all over part was hard to accept....then all the aches and pains started. Insomnia has been a huge issue for almost 2 months now (Im 32 weeks) I feel like the walking dead. Heartburn is constant and so is the ligament & back pain. I felt guilty for a while about how unhappy I was, but I have every right to be. Don't get me wrong, I love this little girl taking up residence in my belly and I can't wait to meet her, but if I could have skipped the last 32 weeks and just get to delivery part I would! You're not alone!
  • TheLaser
    Options
    You do have every right to be unhappy! it must be incredibly difficult knowing that you're starting over just when you feel like you've entered the next stage of life with children. The insomnia is incredibly challenging: I find that it intensifies all the other miserable things I'm feeling. I also feel like the walking dead & I'm also counting the weeks down to delivery. I hope your older children can help out and do some babysitting. Are they at least excited about a new sibling?

Lately I am feeling like my life is on hold while I watch my weight, eating habits, ability to exercise, mood -everything, really- spin out of my control. I'm not fun to be around, I don't feel up to caring about how I look, and I feel bad that my husband (and everyone around) has to deal with me and watch me go down this rabbit hole. I know I will love this baby and at least reinhabit my old personality, if not immediately my old interests, as soon as the delivery... but until then, omg, it's mere survival.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I am also getting to a point where I'm miserable. I went to costco today and was so uncomfortable by the time I left. terrible ligament pain and now I waddle so my hips were killing me. I'm 36 weeks. I keep telling myself this is better than having a newborn lol. At least I can sleep.....